Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Three zone climatronic Air cond

Struggling to find a clear answer on this (and yet to take delivery of our Ocean) - but can anyone tell me if this is standard on new Oceans? Particularly keen for that 'rest' function for wintery camping!

It came on mine last week and I didn’t ask for it as an extra. Not sure if you can upgrade this system though. Presuming it’s standard on new oceans?

I think the most interesting little known fact about the 3-zone system is the fact that the rear cabin has it's own separate aircon condenser to make sure it can cope in really hot weather. If you take a look at a parts diagram there is an abundance of extra radiators, pipework etc all at the back of the van near the wheels for the rear cabin specifically.

It's not just another control panel and bit of ductwork!!

The rest function also includes an additional circulation pump to draw latent heat from the engine without it running, but as WG says its no substitution for the Aux air heater.

If its really hot having the additional cooler in the rear helps get the temperature down quickly.

The rest function also includes an additional circulation pump to draw latent heat from the engine without it running, but as WG says its no substitution for the Aux air heater.

If its really hot having the additional cooler in the rear helps get the temperature down quickly.
I could have done with this at some 24hr MTB races a few summers back in our old van

I think the most interesting little known fact about the 3-zone system is the fact that the rear cabin has it's own separate aircon condenser to make sure it can cope in really hot weather. If you take a look at a parts diagram there is an abundance of extra radiators, pipework etc all at the back of the van near the wheels for the rear cabin specifically.

It's not just another control panel and bit of ductwork!!
This option is just not available on conversions, people in the back have to hope for some cool air moving from the cab area.

Yep, another subtle but important difference. I believe any of the transporter models that have 3 zone have this though, so caravelle etc?

This option is just not available on conversions, people in the back have to hope for some cool air moving from the cab area.
It can be if the right base vehicle is used but VW will only sell new basic spec base vehicles to converters at discount and the only other way is buy your spec vehicle and get that converted which often means it costs more than a new California.

It can be if the right base vehicle is used but VW will only sell new basic spec base vehicles to converters at discount and the only other way is buy your spec vehicle and get that converted which often means it costs more than a new California.
Who uses the Caravel for their conversions, would cost way more than a California if they did.

An issue with using the Caravelle as a base vehicle for conversion is that the rear vents are in the roof rather than along the sides. The rear ducting would need to be rerouted if fitting a poptop.
My next door neighbour recently got a 2013 Caravelle and we were chatting about the climate control. His also has the 3 zone but not the Rest button/function.

There are a few Caravelle conversions around on the T5 forum, but it’s not cheap. Basically replacing the roof and adding all the Cali climatronic. I spoke to a couple of converters but they weren’t interested due to the roof mounted CC

Climatronic is fitted to the Caravelle Exec and Business, optional on the SE.

They do have the rear independent controls as well, same bottom right button.

The Caravelle would be a better base vehicle for the Beach as it has two doors ( We miss them a lot ) but t that’s a whole different can of worms.

Climatronic isn’t really something to use while parked though, as I can vouch for at 24 hr mtb events :) you’re still going to be hot ( though you can obviously start the engine) .

IIRC it’s a mandatory option with the comfort dash - so standard on an Ocean, optional on a beach