Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thule ‘hold down’ straps

Bulli Ocean 1

Bulli Ocean 1

Vehicle
Motorhome
Hi, after surviving storm ‘Alex’ at East Fleet Caravan site last night I just wanted to write a post about how good the Thule ‘hold down’ straps were. As we have only had our camper for less than a year I made a rookie error by not checking the weather forecast last night before going to bed. I put out the awning when we arrived on site in order to provide some shelter from the rain, as we were by the coast (Weymouth). Thankfully though I did strap down the awning when I put the awning out. We were woken up at 5am by the sound of the awning flapping in the wind with gusts over 50mph. I realised that we had to ride out the storm and hope that no damage was caused. Eventually the wind died down at midday!!! And to my surprise there was no damage as the straps had done their job brilliantly. I would highly recommend anyone considering these straps to get them as they have saved us from not only damaging the awning but possibly the camper too, well worth the investment.

00D547CD-C7E0-4832-9E73-C1F4DB52B5E1.jpeg

Thanks for the feedback have a set in the van but never had the need to use them

Hi, after surviving storm ‘Alex’ at East Fleet Caravan site last night I just wanted to write a post about how good the Thule ‘hold down’ straps were. As we have only had our camper for less than a year I made a rookie error by not checking the weather forecast last night before going to bed. I put out the awning when we arrived on site in order to provide some shelter from the rain, as we were by the coast (Weymouth). Thankfully though I did strap down the awning when I put the awning out. We were woken up at 5am by the sound of the awning flapping in the wind with gusts over 50mph. I realised that we had to ride out the storm and hope that no damage was caused. Eventually the wind died down at midday!!! And to my surprise there was no damage as the straps had done their job brilliantly. I would highly recommend anyone considering these straps to get them as they have saved us from not only damaging the awning but possibly the camper too, well worth the investment.

View attachment 67196
We use the Thule tie downs, great bit of kit.

View attachment 67196
We were in Weymouth in August when a storm hit the campsite. We have the Thule awning out around 2 feet attached to the drive away awning. When the storm hit it took four of us to disconnect the awning from the van. It was pretty hairy to be honest. After reading your post I will definitely be investing in those tie downs

View attachment 67196
Did you not get a visit from the awning Police "eh you don't want to do that I knew someone whose awning blew clean over van roof".
Used tie downs with my former MoHO and pegged the legs as well no problems, that said if it was gusty or wind forecast I did used to wind it at night probably because I have been visited by the awning police and they do give you doubts. :D Its our awning we can do what we like.

"I knew someone whose awning blew clean over van roof".
I have been that person and I'm sure there are many others. Yes, it is your awning and your van, but you might not be so scornful when you are surveying the ripped awning and twisted fixings on your van.

I have been that person and I'm sure there are many others. Yes, it is your awning and your van, but you might not be so scornful when you are surveying the ripped awning and twisted fixings on your van.
no offence was intended, i know it can happen, on another forum I saw the evidence, however no precautions were taken just wound out and left out overnight. I take as many precautions as I can, including winding it in if the weather deteriorates. I have been approached twice now and regardless of my precautions and rationale they walk away shaking their heads despite on questioning it hasn’t happened to them. If their approach was more tactful it would help. Sorry not what I need.
Be assured if it happens to me I will share for all.[

I've been that person too.

Thule hold down side strap kit 307916
Just checking this is the correct one.
it has two / Well 4 straps with 2x springs and 2 very large pegs.