Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

To wave or not to wave.....

G

Graham Dotchin

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi All,

Been really enjoying our new Beach for the last few weeks and already put a thousand miles on it between trips to the Lake district and Scotland.

We were excited about being part of the VW community and have waved at the VW campers we pass. Current ratio of waves returned vs ignored is 3:24.

Is there a secret wave we don't know about or is community not cool anymore?

G

THere is a secret wave .....

You use the fingers in such a way as to demonstrate the first letter of the manufacturer, ...

Honest....

Just try it ....:shocked

Hi and welcome on your first post,
Waving is also not that common here in Belgium , i try to do it if i spot the Cali in time.
Used to drive a LR Defender for more than ten years and in the LR scene it was much more common....

I believe I mentioned on an earlier post that you should be able to extend the middle finger and complete the W of the VW ..:thumb:bananadance

Or maybe the index if anyone thinks that's rude !

I get so enthusiastic sometimes that I wave with both hands .... :shocked

Goodness, the looks of alarm i get ....

Most cali owners I waved at in Europe were looking at me strangely.
More than that when greeting a cali owner in camping I didn't see much interest in some cases.
For some it is just a vehicle :D

We try to wave all the time - even on a ferry!
c1d90ce1b865a1dc4bb76ec869c9ed57.jpeg

Your Cali looks very shiny sapto, I presume you are going rather than coming back or have you cleaned you Cali specially? Mine needs a very good scrub but it won't get it today as we are off to London to commemorate the Great Fire of London!

It looks like you may have Pokemon escaping from the vehicle. (having spent the summer with a teenager who even found some at the top of Mont St Michel in Normandy and a firing gun deck in Valletta in Malta!)

We wave to all VW vans, possibly get a 40% success rate in return waves.

Your Cali looks very shiny sapto, I presume you are going rather than coming back or have you cleaned you Cali specially? Mine needs a very good scrub but it won't get it today as we are off to London to commemorate the Great Fire of London!

It looks like you may have Pokemon escaping from the vehicle. (having spent the summer with a teenager who even found some at the top of Mont St Michel in Normandy and a firing gun deck in Valletta in Malta!)

Thank you, I guess it is only the light or the fact that we didn't stay long enough to get some dirt on our Cali.
Look forward to some pics of the Great Fire!

btw: Pokemon? I remember this game when we played it with cards...

Oh I just waved at a big white one (giggle), the gave me back a smile (as far as I saw)! Love tonwave

Hi All,

Been really enjoying our new Beach for the last few weeks and already put a thousand miles on it between trips to the Lake district and Scotland.

We were excited about being part of the VW community and have waved at the VW campers we pass. Current ratio of waves returned vs ignored is 3:24.

Is there a secret wave we don't know about or is community not cool anymore?

G
Is Yours an Indium Grey Beach with a new style bike rack? If so I have seen your van a few times in the area.

think this x references well with views on unfriendly cali owners in the over threads

think this x references well with views on unfriendly cali owners in the over threads

Yes, I was just thinking the same thing :)

Surely no harm to give a quick wave and the "wavee" can either wave back (if they have quick reactions at 60 mph), smile to themselves in acknowledgement or tut as the the arrant weirdness of some people - all according to their preference of course.

My only advice from painful experience is not to wave like a mad thing if you're in the "wrong" car :oops:

Cheers, Wind Witch

sadly by the time my synapses have entered into an internal dialogue as to whether the approaching / following vehicle is a Cali or not they have disappeared into the distance so apologies to anyone who might have made whatever friendly gesture in my direction and received nothing but a mildly perplexed codge glance in return....

We wave to all VW vans, possibly get a 40% success rate in return waves.

Waving only at VW Californias is actually quite hard as you have to distinguish them from a 'basic' T4/5/6 first, and possibly at speed. The Splitties and Bays are easier as they're more distinctive, and they move slower.

But I think Cali-waving is easier in the UK than on the continent, 'cos here when a Cali comes towards you their cassette awning is on 'your' side.

Mrs VD still thinks it's eccentric to wave at all. She is a work-in-progress.

Back