Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Toilet Talk

So glad I've seen this thread ! We looked at a porta potty yesterday but decided it took up too much space in the van (2 adults 2 kids and a dog) so was looking for another solution and it definately looks like the Bivvy loo is the one for us. Might consider a porta potty if we ever get to go to a festival again though...
Another vote for Bivvy loo

Good choice @Ladymuck, I've spent many happy moments aloft a Bivvy Loo. The replacement Bivvy Loo crystals and bags can be expensive to replace (and find) however you can find cheaper options on Amazon that do the job (no pun intended) just as well.
Thanks do you have a link for crystal, I can't find any on Amazon?

Personal Opinion, Anything is better than a Porta Potti kept in the kitchen cupboard. :Nailbiting
The kitchen cupboard is just a cupboard if you don’t use it for kitchen type stuff!

Personally that space is too precious in our van for storing kitchen stuff, so the loo doesn’t go in there.

The kitchen cupboard is just a cupboard if you don’t use it for kitchen type stuff!

Personally that space is too precious in our van for storing kitchen stuff, so the loo doesn’t go in there.
If you keep nothing "food" related in both cupboards fine. Too many years involved with infection control to alter my mindset to keeping a toilet in that position. Unless it's unused and still in its box.

If you keep nothing "food" related in both cupboards fine. Too many years involved with infection control to alter my mindset to keeping a toilet in that position. Unless it's unused and still in its box.
Yep, I agree WG.

umm thats thought provoking - interestingly my daughter's college did a bacteria swab test in various places last week including toilet seats etc & found the most bacteria ridden place to be the press top on the hand sanitizer! Much like dish cloths I guess - I think I will reserve judgement until lived in it for a while!

Our kitchen cupboards are for kitchen stuff so our PortaPotti is in the lounge area with a Dunelm Ottoman cover so it’s discrete and doubles as a stool. When camping we’ll move it to a popup toilet tent or the awning room.

38479E73-F3AE-4E0F-89DB-CEF0C8D40AE3.jpeg

Personal Opinion, Anything is better than a Porta Potti kept in the kitchen cupboard. :Nailbiting
Exactly. One of the key reasons we went non-California by having a LWB with space for a dedicated built in loo, self-contained away from the kitchen area.

Yes thats the set up Im planning - have you secured it in or not? Do you find theres enough space in the left cupboard - Im planning on travelling light in the cooking department but interested to know from others experiences what works for them.
Not my pic. Its from Brandrup site. When I finally get my Coast I will make decisions on space allocation. Since there will be me and possibly one other in the Cali space isn't at a huge premium.

My setup exactly. The porta potty stays there only loaded with water for flushing. If an emergency requires it I'll add the chemicals.
So far it has only been used in the van for #1s during wild stops.I had it tested out of the van for #2s and it coped quite well anyway.
It's awesome for that early morning #1 when you don't wont to step out of the van in the cold and damp.
For day business, public toilets are what we aim for.
I have no hesitation in recommending it. We also bought the extortionate-prices Brandrup base to keep it in place, no need for the pull-out strap though.

Thought about getting a Dunhelm 'portapotti cover' after seeing it several times on the forums. But over here there's no such thing as Dunhelm.

Today I found (online) a storage box that looks incredibly similair to the Dunhelm one. From the photo's I think they could well be the same / from the same factory but sold under a different brand name. It looks the same, is foldable and it even has the same black edge. (photo's below) However, the size mentioned is 38 cm. And at the Dunhelm website they state 40 cm. Could anyone who owns one confirm whether theirs is 38 cm or 40 cm? It would be much appreciated.

1055x1200.jpg

1200x921.jpg

1200x1072.jpg

Hi Thomas,
I have the Dunelm cube as above.
The dimensions are; Width = 365mm
Depth = 380mm
Height = 370mm
All dimensions are external and can confirm my PortaPotti 335 Qube fits in it perfectly.
Hope this helps.

@ThomasHJ - Maybe obvious but don’t put your PortaPotti in the Ottoman, put the Ottoman (upside down) on the PortaPotti.

Hi Thomas,
I have the Dunelm cube as above.
The dimensions are; Width = 365mm
Depth = 380mm
Height = 370mm
All dimensions are external and can confirm my PortaPotti 335 Qube fits in it perfectly.
Hope this helps.
I have some question for the dunelem users.
We currently keep our in the boot and would consider this for more boot space.
Can you still swivel the seat or open the bed draw with it in place ?
Does the heater affect the box, it melt ?

We are away now so I 47E1A10E-BA41-4812-91B2-9989D66FC772.jpegjust measured ours . Seems to be just over 38 without the lid. It’s a brilliant toilet cover! It’s also a stool, a table and somewhere to put your feet up. You have to move it from side to side to get in the cupboards but other than that it does not get in the way st all.

We keep ours in the ‘living room area’. If the heater is being used then we don’t put it directly in front of the grille. It’s very easy to move about and is a very good footstool or occasional seat or just to put ‘stuff’ on. Whether it melts or not is not an issue for us.

Hi @Phillip T - yes you can still turn the seat around and slide the lower bench forward. Regarding the heater, it would obviously warm up the loo (and it’s contents!) so i’d probably slide it over to the passenger side if the heater was set high.

What straps do people use to stop movement and wheres the best place to attach. Does this need a box mod to get a reasonable centre of gravity for tipping?

@Phillip T We use a Roc Strap attached to drivers seat. Note, I think I read on here that somebody got a strap entangled in the seat rotating mechanism when rotating the seat and it was a nightmare to remove. We don’t often rotate the drivers seat but when we do we remove the strap just in case!

D74926CB-54B3-4A69-8984-EA2B56C2695D.png

Thanks for the replies. Very helpfull. @Phillip T: we always have the portapotti behind the driversseat (LHD, so next to te kitchen) and have never attached it to anything. It always stays in place when driving, even when having to brake hard and won't tip over.

Thanks for the replies. Very helpfull. @Phillip T: we always have the portapotti behind the driversseat (LHD, so next to te kitchen) and have never attached it to anything. It always stays in place when driving, even when having to brake hard and won't tip over.
What about the dimensions? Were they useful?

Ha ha, no not when seated on the throne, that would be messy. .
I meant for driving, i like my kit secure.
Not sure in an traffic emergency situation i want the toilet joining us in the front or worse ha.
i dont fancy the toilet in with the cutlery, well sealed as it maybe.
will explore options before it sees the light from the boot. The boot is ok but tricky in Scotland with midge death conditions outside and trying to get the toilet over the bench back, it can be done, but not easy.