Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tough decision to call?

Option 1, still think the T4 was the best van to own, I loved the sound of the 5 pot and liked their designs around then. Second choice wait a while for option 4. I’d rather wait for what the 7 holds but I’ve decided life’s to short to hold on any longer. This year has been a bit of a wake up call. We ain’t here that long.

I own a T4 Cali Event (2001), purchased new in 2001 and I am thinking about a new van. (see my long term review posted before https://trailplanner.co.uk/2020/09/14/vw-california-event-long-term-review-19-years/)

Options:

1. Keep the T4 - it runs like a dream after 20-years with no major issues and it is appreciating in value
2. Sell the T4 and purchase a new T6.1 for c £70-75k (ouch) - wait 12-month
3. Sell the T4 and purchase a new Marco Polo for c £65k (ouch) - wait 6-12-months
4. Wait for a couple of years for the T7 - I am convinced this will appear as a Cali in 2023 or thereabouts

I am very impressed with the new MP, they have solved most issues, it will drive better, but make me nervous exploring wet fields and distant lighthouse tracks (low ground clearance, rear-wheel drive and low profile tyres). The electric rock-and-roll seat is overkill, a silver screen will address the appalling front curtain fitment and the remainder an acceptable compromise - but it is a bit flash.

A new VW 6.1 has lots of goodies as standard, but you have to be disciplined on options. I like the quality and design, it will be more van-like than the MP, and shorter in length + big community now of Cali owners (that was not the case in 2001 when other Cali's in the UK were rare). Overall I am impressed with the refined development each year, there are a lot of neat touches.

I am tempted by Option 4, as I believe owning a diesel will become problematic, affecting depreciation and/or running costs. AdBlue is a pain too. That risk is lower if I keep my T4 and it should continue to pass emission MOTs for a while as Euro 3. I would foresee hybrid petrol/battery as a great camper build, PHEV or otherwise – lower emissions, the battery can be used for the interior functions, and it will have the capability to be autonomous over longer distances to ventures in the back of beyond.

How will the small campervan design/market evolve over the next 5-10 years? What should I do?

Martyn
We sold our Cali (sob sob) a year ago as we wanted a 'proper' toilet on board & could foresee problems in future years getting upstairs to bed (always preferred to sleep upstairs).
We bought a new Hymer Free 540, Blue Evolution in the summer. Very pleased with interior, cheaper than a new Cali BUT my husband doesn't like driving it (he loved driving the Cali). Should I get a new husband?

We sold our Cali (sob sob) a year ago as we wanted a 'proper' toilet on board & could foresee problems in future years getting upstairs to bed (always preferred to sleep upstairs).
We bought a new Hymer Free 540, Blue Evolution in the summer. Very pleased with interior, cheaper than a new Cali BUT my husband doesn't like driving it (he loved driving the Cali). Should I get a new husband?
As they say, buy cheap, buy twice.

no but I don't think this is what the original poster meant with his post: buy a ducato? :eek: ;)My idea, each his thoughts on this.
Have fun with your Hymer.

Last edited:
Beautiful reflections! Just to mention something: the T4 westfalia california was not made in the Volkswagen factory but assembled as a camper in the westfalia factory so not on a VW production line. It was based on a T4 multivan that was of course built in the VW factory. The Volkswagen warranty was covered on the entire vehicle as they were then also sold within the VW dealership.
i have learnt something new - thanks for that

Option 1, still think the T4 was the best van to own, I loved the sound of the 5 pot and liked their designs around then. Second choice wait a while for option 4. I’d rather wait for what the 7 holds but I’ve decided life’s to short to hold on any longer. This year has been a bit of a wake up call. We ain’t here that long.
the 5-pots do sound nice - I found a test drive in a T6.1 150ps disappointing, power-wise

Back