Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California Event Review after 19-years of ownership

Martyn Howe

Martyn Howe

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Sorry, it has taken so long. Here is my review of our VW Cali. The 50-year anniversary model (hence the name Event). Purchase new in 2001, we continue to have great adventures and cannot think of how we will replace her, when the day comes.

IMG_20200830_061346.jpg

I very rarely see these in the UK but would love to hear from other owners.

Neilos

Neilos

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Great review. There’s something really satisfying about those T4s. We’ve had ours a year now and I hope to be where you are in another 19! I don’t think the paint on my T6 will last as well as yours. It does not seem durable.

In terms of carbon, your van will pollute more than a new one for sure, but there’s a hell of a lot of carbon in building a new one! I guess emissions in cities could be an issue for you, but then I personally don’t want to be in large cities in my van anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V

Vagophile

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Enjoyable reading, although I'm surprised that it has taken 14 years to solve the popping turbo pipe!
I think that you are right about the future, your best environmental option is to keep your 19 year old van for as long as it continues to do for you what it has done up to now.

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Great review of a great van. And what amazing value....I imagine it would fetch high teens now, so from £26k 19 years ago is amazing value. My T4 exclusive was in the same colour and from Deepcar. My LHD current T5 also came via Deepcar in 2006 (still got the branded floor mats).
It’s nice that some of the newer owners learn about the heritage of their much newer vans.
Is it the 102hp or the 150 (with those 16” wheels perhaps)?

JohnnyP

JohnnyP

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Sorry, it has taken so long. Here is my review of our VW Cali. The 50-year anniversary model (hence the name Event). Purchase new in 2001, we continue to have great adventures and cannot think of how we will replace her, when the day comes.

View attachment 66238

A great review of the vehicle and also of the joy of owning a campervan. Thank you for sharing

kurienp

kurienp

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Very nicely penned down @Martyn Howe . That is a van that can truly be called an integral part of the family and a "keeper" in the true sense of the word. Thank you for sharing.

Wishing you many more years of enjoyment with the van.

PS: Dreading the day when my wife fills in fuel into the water tank ... so I keep the key separately and at the bottom of the front cubby hole

J

John Slater

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Nice read. A part of the family too and clearly important for you all with happy memories.
I think only another Cali at the correct time would go anywhere near replacing it.

Martyn Howe

Martyn Howe

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Enjoyable reading, although I'm surprised that it has taken 14 years to solve the popping turbo pipe!
I think that you are right about the future, your best environmental option is to keep your 19 year old van for as long as it continues to do for you what it has done up to now.
I only had the problem for a couple of years - say years 12-15.

Martyn Howe

Martyn Howe

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Great review of a great van. And what amazing value....I imagine it would fetch high teens now, so from £26k 19 years ago is amazing value. My T4 exclusive was in the same colour and from Deepcar. My LHD current T5 also came via Deepcar in 2006 (still got the branded floor mats).
It’s nice that some of the newer owners learn about the heritage of their much newer vans.
Is it the 102hp or the 150 (with those 16” wheels perhaps)?
Yes, its the 150hp. Worth the extra for the 5-cylinder motor, now discontinued. Smoooth and very tunable apparently.

flying banana

flying banana

T6 Ocean 204ps manual
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Great review. Love the van. Hope theres many more miles ahead

I

itsinthesanddad

Vehicle
T4 PopTop

View attachment 66238

ive only had mine for 6 years but it is a great vehicle, the 150 engine is superb

20190222_085510.jpg

20180805_162742.jpg