Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tow bar bike rack?

A

andanotherthing

I'm thinking of picking this as an option instead of the tailgate bike rack. Could anyone pass on their experiences using one, ie is it easy to fit and use, secure, etc?

Can't really answer your question but I do have a brand new and unused Thule tow bar rack I might be willing to sell if you're interested.

I have used a THULE tow-bar bike rack for several years, for 3 bikes. Can't fault it. Easy to get bikes on and off. Very solid when tightened on ball. Only stopped using it recently as the Cali I got had a VW bike rack.

Andy

Actually thinking about it I do have a couple of observations -

The OEM bike rack is great because the bikes are high up so when reversing into parking spaces the bikes clear most obstructions. Could be more awkward with a bar mounted rack.

The bar mounted rack would be better as it would make use of the rear tailgate possible with bikes fitted. With the OEM rack you can't really open the tailgate with bikes on.

I have the altera tow bar rack and it's brilliant and you can even open the tailgate with the bike rack fitted...highly recommended

Youtube is great...both altera and thule look similar (not heard of altera before).

The rack must grip on to the tow bar pretty well, not something you would want to set up incorrectly!!

Stu said:
Can't really answer your question but I do have a brand new and unused Thule tow bar rack I might be willing to sell if you're interested.

That sounds tempting. Would be good to met up anyway and talk about all things Cali :)

andanotherthing said:
Stu said:

That sounds tempting. Would be good to met up anyway and talk about all things Cali :)

Of course, let me know when you fancy it. I now have an OEM tow bar so you could check that out as well if you wish.

Did it myself Andy. £300 for the parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes mate, a full OEM installation with the proper trailer control unit etc. All coded up to the van.

There is a new wiring kit on the market from Westfalia which is aimed at Cali's & Caravelle's that runs under the van rather than through.

Fully removable Westfalia tow ball which stores perfectly in the accessory stowage in the back of the bench seat.

Yes mate, a full OEM installation with the proper trailer control unit etc. All coded up to the van.

There is a new wiring kit on the market from Westfalia which is aimed at Cali's & Caravelle's that runs under the van rather than through.

Fully removable Westfalia tow ball which stores perfectly in the accessory stowage in the back of the bench seat.

That's interesting & at a reasonable cost.
Putting wiring under the vehicle is good out of the box thinking & answer to an expensive VW job.
I could be interested in fitting one on my cali. Will have to wait till warmer weather though as it gets cold working on the drive !

I did some research and have been dealing with the Techie at Westfalia, a very helpful lady called Tamsin.

I won't lie to you it is quite intrusive (both front seats out) and of course gaining access to the dash but now I've muddled through it once I'm much more 'aware' of where and how best to route the wires etc. The install instructions are the type with just pictures which I find quite frustrating.

I did it at the weekend and was somewhat hampered by the weather. I took lots of photo's with a view to writing a guide for here however in the end it became more important to try and work through the poor weather. I will try to write up everything I have photo's for.

I have something else for you, I'll PM you.

Could anyone tell me what Thule model VW have in their options list?

Calimark said:
I have the altera tow bar rack and it's brilliant and you can even open the tailgate with the bike rack fitted...highly recommended

+1 vote for the altera rack. We've used one all season and its been great.

Simon

Stu said:
I won't lie to you it is quite intrusive (both front seats out) and of course gaining access to the dash but now I've muddled through it once I'm much more 'aware' of where and how best to route the wires etc. The install instructions are the type with just pictures which I find quite frustrating.

Hi Stu,

I'm thinking about installing a Westfalia tow bar and thought I'd come to you for any advice about installation. How did you do it? Is it 13-pin electrics?

I've posted some more information in another thread with the Part Numbers etc.

Basically parts purchased from pfjones, all OEM (Westfalia Parts).

The electrics kind of start from under the passenger seat and you pass the weatherproof section of the cable through an existing grommet under the seat and to the underneath of the van. The other part of it is passed through a 'channel' between the two seats and to under the drivers seat where it is then passed along the edge of the door step and up into the dashboard area.

The trailer control unit is mounted under the seat and you also add three fused power supplies to the fuse carrier under the seat.

The cable passes underneath the van (you need to drop the edges of the undertray) to the rear and meets with the tow bar.

You'll need to remove the rear bumper which is remarkably easy and under which you'll find a crash bar. Remove the crash bar (4 bolts) and replace with the towbar and refit bumper.

It looks like I may not be a million miles from you so if you need some help or even just want to have a look before buying give me a shout. :thumb

The kit manufactured by Westfalia is aimed at Cali etc as it has been designed to go under the van. It is only available in 13 pin. If 13 pin is not what you need then it is a <£5 adapter to sort you out.

Tow bar installation

Stu, thanks for info, looks like I will have to get it fitted by a professional, I did install one on my last VW T5 myself, but running the electrics to the dashboard I could not do.
Any advice on where to find a good installer would be most welcome. ( Maidstone area) :thanks

Stu said:
I've posted some more information in another thread with the Part Numbers etc.

Hi bud, do you have a link tried to searching but couldn't find it.
I need to do this :thumb