Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Towing License Scrapped!

As a throwback to my youth I keep thinking that I should do my HGV 1 as a sort of part time retirement job / pocket money . A romantic notion of driving an Scania 164 + 44tonnes and seeing how well they pull compared to the old days.

Should have done my HGV at 21 but just never got around to it. Considered being an O/O in my 30s as I became disillusioned with my career (Father was a diesel fitter / then O/O so slightly in the blood - spent my years driving (where permissiable) and shunting in my youth)

As a throwback to my youth I keep thinking that I should do my HGV 1 as a sort of part time retirement job / pocket money . A romantic notion of driving an Scania 164 + 44tonnes and seeing how well they pull compared to the old days.

Should have done my HGV at 21 but just never got around to it. Considered being an O/O in my 30s as I became disillusioned with my career (Father was a diesel fitter / then O/O so slightly in the blood - spent my years driving (where permissiable) and shunting in my youth)

The Army used to be a cost effective route into being an HGV driver, with HGV training beginning at 17 instead of 21.

Big problem a few years back was due to an Insurance requirement many Driver jobs required 2 years experience with the usual how do I get 2 years experience if I can't drive question.
A Certificate of Professional Competence is also now required which is gained by 5 days of dedicated training on top of driving training fees. This is a repeating requirement every five years. Other Industries also require certificates to show that applicable training has been completed, construction industry eg.

There was also a time when Sons and Daughters went out with Dad in his truck on weekends or School holiday periods. this gave a link to the Transport industry where many wanted to 'go on the road' when old enough. Health & Safety Rules stopped this practice breaking the link.

Night out money stopped, Decent Truck stops rare, spy in the cab, boss always on their back, a job not what it was.

The Army used to be a cost effective route into being an HGV driver, with HGV training beginning at 17 instead of 21.
Yep but not much call for it in the Marines.

Scrapping the Towing training is a mistake imo, standard of driving is generally poor anyway and with up to 2 tonnes on your hitch without really understanding the correct way to handle it will cause accidents. CPC should also be introduced for car drivers to remind them about lane discipline, how & when to use indicators, how to deal with roundabouts and the dangers of cutting someone up. As a HGV driver and caravanner for over 20 years, I feel this is an appropriate comment.

Its a new world..... but I didnt give up the day job, as it paid too well, so stayed a reserve. Options were limited to fighting only, be that in the snow or from a Klepper

There will be new rules about towing a trailer or caravan with a car later in 2021.

We're scrapping the need for driver training. :eek:

I can't see any reason at all why that is a good idea.
Straight away I could list a few reasons why its a bad idea.

Who makes these rules.

Give it 12 months and wecwill be back to just getting s licence from the PO no tests at all..
Fully Comp on a Cali to start at ten grand, what a shambles!

Give it 12 months and wecwill be back to just getting s licence from the PO no tests at all..
Fully Comp on a Cali to start at ten grand, what a shambles!

Give it 12 years and all driving licences will be obsolete- we shall all use self driving cars.

Scrapping the Towing training is a mistake imo, standard of driving is generally poor anyway and with up to 2 tonnes on your hitch without really understanding the correct way to handle it will cause accidents.
You could tow 2 tonnes behind a 1.5 tonne car before these changes.
In one way it may be safer as you can now tow the same two tonnes behind a Range Rover or the like which is far more suitable.

Scrapping the Towing training is a mistake imo, standard of driving is generally poor anyway and with up to 2 tonnes on your hitch without really understanding the correct way to handle it will cause accidents. CPC should also be introduced for car drivers to remind them about lane discipline, how & when to use indicators, how to deal with roundabouts and the dangers of cutting someone up. As a HGV driver and caravanner for over 20 years, I feel this is an appropriate comment.
Know where you're coming from having got fed up with undertaking cars and drivers who dived into the braking zone approaching roundabouts and junctions, oblivious to then being in a potential HGV killing zone.

Main aim of cutting out trailer tests is to free up driving examiners to clear the driving test backlog.

Back