Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travel to europe June

• Thread starter Colettelankshear
  • Start date
C

Colettelankshear

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We plan our first trip to Netherlands, Germany, Denmark and Sweden for family events.
Not knowing how far we will comfortably go each segment and whether to rest a couple of days in between should we book ahead for campsites. Am ACSI member. Or should we book ahead each day?
Bit of an adventure as we are both mid 70's!!
Colette

20230428_081608.jpg

Nope, just go with the flow.
I always went for lower star sites when using Asci nothing wrong with them, less busy as don’t have all the posh stuff swimming pools etc.
so many sites over the water so if one is full never that far to the next.
If it’s a one night stop most sites will try to accommodate you.

We plan our first trip to Netherlands, Germany, Denmark and Sweden for family events.
Not knowing how far we will comfortably go each segment and whether to rest a couple of days in between should we book ahead for campsites. Am ACSI member. Or should we book ahead each day?
Colette

View attachment 108189
Early to mid- June you could just turn up, but campsites can fill up for weekends in later June with improving weather. Also I've noticed that mid to late June many arrive and pitch tents/caravans in preparation for the school holidays particularly at campsites next to lakes/rivers or the sea. Normally not a problem for a campervan and windout awning getting a pitch, but anything bigger, vehicle or standalone can be problematic.

Nope, just go with the flow.
I always went for lower star sites when using Asci nothing wrong with them, less busy as don’t have all the posh stuff swimming pools etc.
so many sites over the water so if one is full never that far to the next.
If it’s a one night stop most sites will try to accommodate you.
Thank you helpful.

Early to mid- June you could just turn up, but campsites can fill up for weekends in later June with improving weather. Also I've noticed that mid to late June many arrive and pitch tents/caravans in preparation for the school holidays particularly at campsites next to lakes/rivers or the sea. Normally not a problem for a campervan and windout awning getting a pitch, but anything bigger, vehicle or standalone can be problematic.
Thanks

for June trips, I’ve sometimes booked first night and last night in France, using channel tunnel to get there.
otherwise for rest of trip never prebook anything.
on a trip in October we also didn’t prebook any sites, and at one site in south of France, saint-tropea we got one of last pitches, but that’s the only issue we had,
never been turned away before

We also often book the first couple of nights and the last night near our exit point.

Having a few apps on your phone, that can identify Campsites, Aires and parking places is a good thing to have, many allow you to search by location And give you reviews, address/ details of the sites.

Thanks. Just the first trip to europe with the cali.so a bit unsure. Got the Wonderingbird course which has lots of useful info about paperwork, low emission zones etc and checklists.

Colette

View attachment 108189
You do seem to take a lot of stuff with you. You might want to consider what you really need. Toaster etc? Part of campervanning is being able to take what you want but part is also travelling light. Whatever works for you, but looking at this picture I’m not sure I would want to take all the above stuff down and pack away every couple of days. I don’t know how long you will stay at each site but if it’s 2 or 3 days, I’m not sure I would take the awning but it does come down to individual choice.

IMO take what you know you will use, work out what does and does not work for you & how you want to live day to day.
make adjustments for trip #2 to improve your set up.
it’s your set up & only you know how you will use it and what you need.

Enjoy your first trip (of many ) stress not Europe is a friendly place and people are people wherever you go (reminds me of a song)

there is a load of good advice and resources on the forum.
Don’t be afraid to ask a question (see my strap line)

Colette

View attachment 108189
We're doing, Spain, France, Italy, Sicily in June. Nothing booked. ACSI is fine, lots of choices or just look out for camping signs. We drive quite a lot, 300 miles a day, often more. Its what's right for you.

One more thing. Campervan very full can we put out awning and comfort shelter in an aire or equivalent?
What a treat! I expect you will have a lovely time. In Europe, except for prime sites in high season we usually just turn up without booking ahead (unlike the UK). It’s rarely been a problem and it’s nice to have the flexibility to change itinerary. But are you sure you need all that clobber? Aires usually forbid awnings, chairs etc. and it’s much easier to pack and unpack if you’re travelling light. We are also in our 70’s. We use only the Cali wind-out awning (when needed) and always sleep upstairs. The only time we use the living space to carry luggage is when we bring cases of wine back from Europe - otherwise everything fits in the vast rear luggage space and internal cupboards. Even smart clothes stay presentable in the wardrobe or crush-proof boxes (e.g. for a wedding we travelled to on Corfu). Rohan travel clothes make laundry quick and easy. The photo is us this morning, part way through our current 44 day trip to France and Spain; a mixture of campsites, aires and wild-camping. More than 20 stops so far. D65A9C5E-7F96-4A93-B6E4-3C1260BCF0C0.jpegWe’ve brought our two Brompton bikes, a Cadac Safari Chef and the indispensable portable loo. All of it fits into the standard luggage space and we can set up or decamp in less than 10 minutes. Everyone is different but you will probably find that you need to take much less than you think you do. Have fun!

What a treat! I expect you will have a lovely time. In Europe, except for prime sites in high season we usually just turn up without booking ahead (unlike the UK). It’s rarely been a problem and it’s nice to have the flexibility to change itinerary. But are you sure you need all that clobber? Aires usually forbid awnings, chairs etc. and it’s much easier to pack and unpack if you’re travelling light. We are also in our 70’s. We use only the Cali wind-out awning (when needed) and always sleep upstairs. The only time we use the living space to carry luggage is when we bring cases of wine back from Europe - otherwise everything fits in the vast rear luggage space and internal cupboards. Even smart clothes stay presentable in the wardrobe or crush-proof boxes (e.g. for a wedding we travelled to on Corfu). Rohan travel clothes make laundry quick and easy. The photo is us this morning, part way through our current 44 day trip to France and Spain; a mixture of campsites, aires and wild-camping. More than 20 stops so far. View attachment 108436We’ve brought our two Brompton bikes, a Cadac Safari Chef and the indispensable portable loo. All of it fits into the standard luggage space and we can set up or decamp in less than 10 minutes. Everyone is different but you will probably find that you need to take much less than you think you do. Have fun!
Can you tell me about the ferry to Corfu? I was going to go there, then decided on Sicilly. Did you book in advance and which port did you sail from?
Thank you

Can you tell me about the ferry to Corfu? I was going to go there, then decided on Sicilly. Did you book in advance and which port did you sail from?
Thank you
Hi Anthony1! Yes, it’s probably best to book ahead for the Italy to Greece leg. The vehicle decks were fully booked for our time of travel. I think we used https://www.greekferries.gr. We sailed in late May from Bari to Igoumenitsa on the overnight ferry, then caught the early morning boat to Corfu (bought that ticket on the day). From Bari there’s a ticket option that allows motorhome travellers to sleep in the vehicle. We put our roof up among the HGVs and had a good night’s sleep. On the return journey we travelled via Albania, with the extra frisson that goes along with only 3rd party insurance!

Hi Anthony1! Yes, it’s probably best to book ahead for the Italy to Greece leg. The vehicle decks were fully booked for our time of travel. I think we used https://www.greekferries.gr. We sailed in late May from Bari to Igoumenitsa on the overnight ferry, then caught the early morning boat to Corfu (bought that ticket on the day). From Bari there’s a ticket option that allows motorhome travellers to sleep in the vehicle. We put our roof up among the HGVs and had a good night’s sleep. On the return journey we travelled via Albania, with the extra frisson that goes along with only 3rd party insurance!

Thank you. Why did you go via Igoumenitsa? Isn't there a direct ferry from Bari to Corfu? And did you camp in Corfu? Any other info would be great.

I don’t think the direct ferry was running on our May dates that year. It’s summertime only and I think the dates change a little from year to year. We would have taken it if it had been available, but the extra leg from Igoumanitsa wasn’t much of an inconvenience - those ferries run quite frequently. We used Camping Karda Beach, a campsite on the east coast a few km north of Corfu Town, for a couple of days. It is listed on SearchForSites. I think it was listed in the full ACSI app too, in 2018, along with another two options on the island. Nothing extraordinary, but attractive and perfectly pleasant. We had a pitch close to the beach. I did book ahead for that one, as there aren’t many places on Corfu. After that we moved to the wedding accommodation until it was time to set off north again. We enjoyed our few days in Albania (especially the side trip along Konami Lake, despite the hair-raising access road and having to back down onto the boat across some planks) then delectable island hopping through Croatia and home via Austria. But we tend to enjoy most places we go in our Cali. It’s such a luxury to be living in the fresh air in such comfort, especially if the sun is shining too (but also in the knowledge that the heater is available when needed)! We like beaches, off the beaten track villages, mountain walking and eating in local restaurants, so we are easy to please. Greetings from today’s stop: the free Aire in Casares, Andalucia, where the sky is blue and the temperature is a cool 26C.

I don’t think the direct ferry was running on our May dates that year. It’s summertime only and I think the dates change a little from year to year. We would have taken it if it had been available, but the extra leg from Igoumanitsa wasn’t much of an inconvenience - those ferries run quite frequently. We used Camping Karda Beach, a campsite on the east coast a few km north of Corfu Town, for a couple of days. It is listed on SearchForSites. I think it was listed in the full ACSI app too, in 2018, along with another two options on the island. Nothing extraordinary, but attractive and perfectly pleasant. We had a pitch close to the beach. I did book ahead for that one, as there aren’t many places on Corfu. After that we moved to the wedding accommodation until it was time to set off north again. We enjoyed our few days in Albania (especially the side trip along Konami Lake, despite the hair-raising access road and having to back down onto the boat across some planks) then delectable island hopping through Croatia and home via Austria. But we tend to enjoy most places we go in our Cali. It’s such a luxury to be living in the fresh air in such comfort, especially if the sun is shining too (but also in the knowledge that the heater is available when needed)! We like beaches, off the beaten track villages, mountain walking and eating in local restaurants, so we are easy to please. Greetings from today’s stop: the free Aire in Casares, Andalucia, where the sky is blue and the temperature is a cool 26C.
Excellent info thank you.

My original plan, was Corfu, then over to the Greek Mainland, into Greece a bit, then return via the Balkans - Bulgaria, Serbia, Slovenia

Or North Macedonia, Kosovo, Montenegro or Serbia, Bosnia or Slovenia, Coatia, Austria etc.

Choices, choices.

When I last travelled down that way it was just one country, Yugolsavia (some of the worst drivers on earth).

Regards

Anthony, from an intermittent blue sky/cloudy West Sussex and a breezy 17C

Lucky you with the weather….I headed for Italy mid April and had a small box of winter clothes I was going to send home….I’ve had my thermals on every day for a week! Now considering heading to Provence!

The learnings for me this trip are not to stress over not booking anything….all going well so far! And had I booked everything like I did last year, I’d not be so able to do a 90degree turn for Plan B cos of the weather!
Last year I booked every night+pony trek, restaurants & sea kayak! I’m learning….!

Lucky you with the weather….I headed for Italy mid April and had a small box of winter clothes I was going to send home….I’ve had my thermals on every day for a week! Now considering heading to Provence!

The learnings for me this trip are not to stress over not booking anything….all going well so far! And had I booked everything like I did last year, I’d not be so able to do a 90degree turn for Plan B cos of the weather!
Last year I booked every night+pony trek, restaurants & sea kayak! I’m learning….!
Thank you.

We are going to trust to luck and arrive in Bari (in about 8 - 10 days time). and see if we can get a boarding for Corfu direct. If not, carry on down to Sicily.

You do seem to take a lot of stuff with you. You might want to consider what you really need. Toaster etc? Part of campervanning is being able to take what you want but part is also travelling light. Whatever works for you, but looking at this picture I’m not sure I would want to take all the above stuff down and pack away every couple of days. I don’t know how long you will stay at each site but if it’s 2 or 3 days, I’m not sure I would take the awning but it does come down to individual choice.
Hi thanks for your message. Yes we do take a lot of stuff but mostly will just use the comfort around the awning. However we are camping 10 days in Berlin as our son is cycling for the special olympics part of the GB team of 89 athletes.

We need the driveway awning there and some extra comfort and space.

Back