Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Two Brompton bikes in the cali?

Palm

Palm

Ingrid & Christer
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Someone who has a good idea of how to get along with two Brompton bikes on the trip. Without hanging on the bike rack or remove the bed extension with mattress. The bikes are not small enough to slip in under the bed extension nor is above the mattress the best place. We have ruled out the place behind the right chair it works on shorter trips. We believe that they will make it difficult on a more extended trip an it rules out a quick cup of tea or coffee at the roadside.

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Someone who has a good idea of how to get along with two Brompton bikes on the trip. Without hanging on the bike rack or remove the bed extension with mattress. The bikes are not small enough to slip in under the bed extension nor is above the mattress the best place. We have ruled out the place behind the right chair it works on shorter trips. We believe that they will make it difficult on a more extended trip an it rules out a quick cup of tea or coffee at the roadside.
We hauled two Bromptons around Europe for a year. They went in a low fold on the rack.

This kept the vehicle under 2m. We have bags for both Bromptons, so they could be stowed fully folded behind the driver's seat. They can also go under the Beach's multiflex.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

• Informative
Reactions: Sad
Hotel California

Hotel California

18 'till i die....
Staff member
forum co ordinator
Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I carry 2. Bromptons on the rear metal shelf ( they don't go with us on every trip) , usual only one comes allong .
We don't have a matrass on the shelf and just place them on there standing folded up in normal position.
They do take up a lot of space , a tow bar storagebox would be ideal .

trailtrotters

trailtrotters

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
We take two in the bags on all our trips in same location as HC but standing upright on top of the padded shelf (right hand side). We have a webbed strap to hold them together for extra stability and have luggage packed to the left of them which stops any movement. Really easy to get them in and out and we are very pleased we bought them. We have a strong but flexible piece of black plastic sheeting across the shelf to keep it clean.

CDinFrance

CDinFrance

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
For interest, we have a Bike Friday folding tandem which fits nicely on the floor between seats. In a bag of course. Thinking of also getting a new electric Brompton...

RichardH

RichardH

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We used to take full sized bikes on a rear carrier, but now always travel with our two Bromptons in their travel bags, upright on the back shelf. That still leaves plenty enough storage for us even on long trips and it’s an easier option. It helps that we always sleep upstairs.

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We have two brand new Bromptons which we've used twice to date. Unfortunately, we've tried two different saddles so far but still haven't found anything remotely comfortable. The Bromton ones are instruments of torture! Other than the seat issue and the price, these bikes are brilliant for using with a Cali. They are very well made and easy to use.

Anyway, when we have taken them away in our Cali they get packed in their carrying bags and travel in the rear compartment behind the front seats. I don't like the usual external rear door bike rack solution for aesthetic and security reasons. So the compact Bromton bike is ideal for our needs.

Jay586

Jay586

Vehicle
N/A
I have a Gazelle Dutch bike, totally unsuitable for a van, but the most comfortable saddle ever...maybe go dutch, Borris?

trailtrotters

trailtrotters

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Our Brompton riding experience has greatly improved since we invested £3 each in padded seat covers from a Pound shop.

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Since I'm nearly sixty five and no longer built like a racing snake (not that I ever was), I've been thinking about procuring two of these Brooks beauties:

image.jpeg

Remember these?......designed in an era when comfort came before aesthetics. Yes, I know it's the sort of thing you'd have found on a 1950's butchers bike but we being products of the 1950s, I think they will suit us very well indeed. The only question now is will they fit on the Brompton saddle post.

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Since I'm nearly sixty five and no longer built like a racing snake (not that I ever was), I've been thinking about procuring two of these Brooks beauties:

View attachment 35723

Remember these?......designed in an era when comfort came before aesthetics. Yes, I know it's the sort of thing you'd have found on a 1950's butchers bike but we being products of the 1950s, I think they will suit us very well indeed. The only question now is will they fit on the Brompton saddle post.
Yes.

I have an unsprung Brooks saddle on my Brompton. It took about five years to break in.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Paulro

Paulro

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We have 2. Keep them on the rear shelf covered in £2.99 seemingly purpose built bags from ikea. I have a brooks b17 and my partner a nice padded female seat from decathlon. I did 90 mins earlier today, no problem.

Rocoloco

Rocoloco

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Mine Brooks is sprung, and excellent and is a sweet ride. Highly Recommended! Your bum will be pleased;)

E73A2CC7-20E4-4031-843A-19DCBCA289B2.jpeg

motacyclist

motacyclist

Colin
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204

View attachment 35723

£129? Do you get a bike included? ;)

VW California Club