Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bikes Inside the Cali

I will be when my Beach arrives. I've already got a massive tarp from MachineMart (UK shop). Not actually sure on the size but it should be easily big enough.

Thanks to both of you, the bags look useful but they´re probably too small for a complete mountain bike (the idea is leaving wheels and all on). I´ve already tracked down a shop where I can get a tarp in my whereabouts, that and a bungee set should do the trick

Hi

I was looking for a possible tread about whether curver boxes would fit under the multiflex in the back of an Ocean. These pictures have been a great help albeit disappointing. We were hoping to get 2 bikes inside so that we didn't have problems with car parks, ferrys and french motorway tolls, but it looks like we cant. Back to looking at the various bike rack options.
Thanks for the photos.

Just a follow up from me as the initial post in this thread -how time flies! We've now had 2.5 years of cycle events with the Cali. We regularly carry 2 bikes ( and more sometimes).
a) two inside can go one rear wheel between two from seats (and secured with a strap to the armrest) . Just requires driver seat sliding forward to get in and out. If required a second (small/med) bike will go front wheel on rear seat and rear wheel adjacent to cupboard under sink. Works a treat!
b) If bed not to be used, rear shelf removed, bench seat fully forward (stops removed) can fit 4 bikes in rear, wheels on.
c) and if all else fails, the VW rack is just brilliant. I've used maybe 6 big racks in my time (including the Atera Strada) and for my needs ...regular use etc, the VW rack is far and away the simplest and best.
And of course, for folders, Bromptons are fantastic.

Hope that's helpful. The Cali is brilliant as a cyclists vehicle.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We carry 2 fold up bikes. We bought a few of these bags they come in different sizes and are cheap and handy for all sorts. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ADU5AAW/?tag=eliteelect-21

We have just bought these for Bromptons
http://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIPvloHTh80CFetg2wodTtsGTA

It's a pity that two Bromptons won't fit under the rear bed shelf. We are still working on that.
We'd like to take full sized bikes but the rear rack is horrendously expensive.

Just a follow up from me as the initial post in this thread -how time flies! We've now had 2.5 years of cycle events with the Cali. We regularly carry 2 bikes ( and more sometimes).
a) two inside can go one rear wheel between two from seats (and secured with a strap to the armrest) . Just requires driver seat sliding forward to get in and out. If required a second (small/med) bike will go front wheel on rear seat and rear wheel adjacent to cupboard under sink. Works a treat!
b) If bed not to be used, rear shelf removed, bench seat fully forward (stops removed) can fit 4 bikes in rear, wheels on.
c) and if all else fails, the VW rack is just brilliant. I've used maybe 6 big racks in my time (including the Atera Strada) and for my needs ...regular use etc, the VW rack is far and away the simplest and best.
And of course, for folders, Bromptons are fantastic.

Hope that's helpful. The Cali is brilliant as a cyclists vehicle.

Paul

HI Paul,
That sounds interesting, don't suppose you have any pictures of options a and b.
Unfortunately we are still waiting to get told a build week, and hoping the outcome of Brexit doesnt affect anything.
Also I assume that option b is for a beach not the ocean

Chris

None to hand but I'll snap one soon of two bikes inside (a). Option b we do much less often when involved in team stuff.

Sorry post disappeared before I'd finished. Re option b) it's for the T5 SE so I assume OK for the T6 Ocean. Sport road bikes topped and tailed standing up, all wheels on.

image.jpeg Here's a picture of two bikes inside the Cali with seats on the standard position. After moving driver seat forward to get them in, The first goes rear wheel first between front seats and then front wheel on rear seat to move rear wheel to against LH seat. The second goes in the same way but stays on the floor. Usually a blanket between them and rear part of frame straps to Nearest armrest. Works absolutely brilliantly for those bikes that really need to avoid getting wet and dirty outside.
Ours are relatively small light bikes.
Hope that is helpful

Thanks for the picture, it proves it can be done, but it also shows me that for us that isn't an option as when doing the long haul trips through europe it could well take longer than we wanted to move the bikes so that we can use the interior for food.
I know some people will say use the local services, but having just returned from a trip to europe with the old van after being stuck in traffic for hours the last thing you want is another 30 minute queue to get food.
I think its kylie or quasimodo and put the bikes on the back.

View attachment 15326 Here's a picture of two bikes inside the Cali with seats on the standard position. After moving driver seat forward to get them in, The first goes rear wheel first between front seats and then front wheel on rear seat to move rear wheel to against LH seat. The second goes in the same way but stays on the floor. Usually a blanket between them and rear part of frame straps to Nearest armrest. Works absolutely brilliantly for those bikes that really need to avoid getting wet and dirty outside.
Ours are relatively small light bikes.
Hope that is helpful
I can definitely see my carbon road bike going inside for the shorter trips, especially the ones based on getting some serious riding in. Will probably stick a lightweight cover I have to protect the seats.

Mike

Out of interest ( this isn't a criticism) why do you want to carry bikes inside your Cali...? My view is that they are bikes (we ride a lot and look after out bikes etc), they can get wet, can get dirty but nothing a good wash and lube doesn't sort out....or am I missing something?

Out of interest ( this isn't a criticism) why do you want to carry bikes inside your Cali...? My view is that they are bikes (we ride a lot and look after out bikes etc), they can get wet, can get dirty but nothing a good wash and lube doesn't sort out....or am I missing something?
It's an option, most of the time especially on tour I shall have three bikes on the tow bar rack. However on occasions I will be out for day trips or perhaps an overnighter where I will be out riding and my better half will be picking me up in the Cali. On these occasions it will be handy to just stick the bike in the back. Add to that the road bike lives in my flat and it makes sense for me on occasions as an option.

Mike

As ever personal choice but it does only take seconds to put bike/bikes on the rack....just seems a bit of a faff putting them in the van! Anyway enjoy your time in the saddle! :)

I use a rack for longer hols, but of I am just taking my best bike to a ride, And do t have the rack on, I take the front wheel, out....takes a few seconds, then put the rear wheel between the front seats, the bars rest on the front edge of the back seat.
Quick and neat....and no bikes on my precious seat covers!

I tried putting bikes inside when I first got my Beach and only managed to last about a month before crumbling and getting a bike rack. While it is possible, it's just a lot of faff especially if you also want to sleep downstairs! The ugly bike rack really is very good!

No problem - def the case for holidays/leisure riding but one of ours is an indoor track bike...never been wet, let alone road muck etc. The other arrives at events pristine. For us, it's the multi-use nature of the van that is so brilliant, but totally agree, bikes inside not ideal
If away staying over in the van.

I've been thinking about this very dilemma myself having ordered our Cali last month. Currently own a discovery 4 which is brilliant for loading my precious road bike in one. I've come to the conclusion that really the best way using the Cali will be to remove both wheels putting them into wheel bags. The frame will go into a canvas bike bag. Taking the wheels out is no big deal and only takes a couple of minutes, this way ensures the frame and wheels don't get damaged. It also keeps your new van clean without the horrible tyre marks all over your interior. If leaving the van unattended it's also not obvious to prying eyes that you have an expensive carbon road bike in the back. MTB and cross bikes will go on the tow bar bike carrier but never left out of sight.

c62a4a3eb2526a34618a336257bfab6a.png

I use one of these bags, remove front wheel and sometimes remove the pedals too.

There are many smart solutions that require removing the front wheel, which is easy enough unless you have a Lefty forks :headbang

Just adding my solution to carrying one bike internally - have found that the “EVOC Bike Stand Pro” is a perfect fit for the rear cabin - rails are perfect length and just wide enough to provide stability in most scenario, saddle then touched side of front seats if cornering aggressively. Could get a t-bolt for the rail and tie it to that for extra safety if felt necessary. It’s about £115.

Works for Road / Gravel / Mountain bikes too.

Would suggest also getting a chain cover just in case brush it against seat when putting it in van, but not essential during travel.

Won’t be the solution for everyone but hopefully helps in certain scenarios.

You can still safely use one of the rear seats with a road bike, but flat bars would sit in front of the off side rear seat also given their wider width (albeit you could remove them and Evoc also do a separate item to strap unattached bars to the frame).

IMG_3269.jpeg

Just adding my solution to carrying one bike internally - have found that the “EVOC Bike Stand Pro” is a perfect fit for the rear cabin - rails are perfect length and just wide enough to provide stability in most scenario, saddle then touched side of front seats if cornering aggressively. Could get a t-bolt for the rail and tie it to that for extra safety if felt necessary. It’s about £115.

Works for Road / Gravel / Mountain bikes too.

Would suggest also getting a chain cover just in case brush it against seat when putting it in van, but not essential during travel.

Won’t be the solution for everyone but hopefully helps in certain scenarios.

You can still safely use one of the rear seats with a road bike, but flat bars would sit in front of the off side rear seat also given their wider width (albeit you could remove them and Evoc also do a separate item to strap unattached bars to the frame).

View attachment 110435
very good. i wonder if it would fit crossways behind the back seat in a Beach (no cupboards to get in the way.

The rails of the rack are 130cm albeit you could cut some off if necessary, depending on your frame size (the one in my pic is a 56cm frame). having said that my 29er MTB is a bit longer than the road bike so all depends what sort of bike you have. Also the bars on the road bike overhang the front of the rails by about 15cm, but you could always drop them depending on how much room you have.
That frame comes with all manner of inserts for different axle types (QRs and variety of through axles). I put the bike on the frame outside the van and carefully lift it in.

very good. i wonder if it would fit crossways behind the back seat in a Beach (no cupboards to get in the way.