Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Two candle power headlights

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Help. Can anyone please clarify something for me?

I have a T6 Beach with bog standard headlights. Whilst the rest of the vehicle is absolutely fantastic, the headlights are, to put it politely, just barely adequate. I have read the previous threads on this issue but they don't, as far as I can see, suggest a definite fix. There is a talk of Canbus issues, relays, thicker wire, different bulbs and difficulty in changing bulbs etc but no actual solution.

As I am "a bear of very little brain" who glazes over when things start to get all technical, has anyone actually managed a simple upgrade? Is it just a case of popping down the Halfords and getting some better bulbs or is that likely to throw up more issues? Can anyone illuminate me?

I agree, very poor output from the standard setup. Installed a set of Phillips Racing Vision +150 H4 bulbs and have made a big improvement. Fitting the driver side is the the hardest as there's not much room to move your hand. Amazon were the cheapest at about £20.

One of the issues with the high output bulbs is that they are said to not last very long - have you the same experience? I too was shocked by the output of the standard set up and I have the bog standard headlamps too.

I agree, very poor output from the standard setup. Installed a set of Phillips Racing Vision +150 H4 bulbs and have made a big improvement. Fitting the driver side is the the hardest as there's not much room to move your hand. Amazon were the cheapest at about £20.
Thanks Kaiser,
That is very interesting. Have you had any issues caused by the fitting of your new bulbs? I am not an auto electrician and don't try to understand the electronic complexities under the bonnet but is the standard wiring setup man, sorry non specific gender enough, to except more powerful bulbs?

Our van was an ex demo so we had no choice over the lighting but I am not sure that I would have ordered an upgrade if I had that facilicity then. The story is different now. These bog standard lights are some of the worst headlights that I have encountered in the last few decades and I can't understand what they are doing on a vehicle of this value.

I can't speak for the Beach, but I have fitted higher output bulbs to previous cars and they do make a difference, albeit as mentioned above, they do not last as long, reason being I believe as they run hotter than standard. No other reason not to use however.
Some vehicles easier to fit than others - I suggest taking a look at your local Halfords - they have a decent range of upgrade bulbs and will fit them for you

Help. Can anyone please clarify something for me?

I have a T6 Beach with bog standard headlights. Whilst the rest of the vehicle is absolutely fantastic, the headlights are, to put it politely, just barely adequate. I have read the previous threads on this issue but they don't, as far as I can see, suggest a definite fix. There is a talk of Canbus issues, relays, thicker wire, different bulbs and difficulty in changing bulbs etc but no actual solution.

As I am "a bear of very little brain" who glazes over when things start to get all technical, has anyone actually managed a simple upgrade? Is it just a case of popping down the Halfords and getting some better bulbs or is that likely to throw up more issues? Can anyone illuminate me?
I have used both Osram & Phillips upgrade bulbs in previous cars for many years and never had a bulb fail in a short period of time, so life not an issue compared with standard bulbs.
I've used both H4 (which the Beach has) and H7 ones and am about to fit H7 Phillips latest racing Vision, deceptively called 150% upgrade but really a 50% upgrade, to my Ocean.

No problem should be found with the Canbus system if you stick to these but if you go down the HID or even LED route then expect problems unless a full Canbus kit is supplied.

Don't be tempted to use 100watt bulbs as too much heat is generated causing potential damage to headlight plastic and not road legal.

Installed the two months ago and still no issues.I too have fitted upgraded bulbs to my previous cars and they seem to last about two years if I remember correctly. Don't mind though as the standard light output is bordering on dangerous levels. Was thinking about going down to my local MOT centre to check the light output too see if it would fail!! As marshian said your local Halfords stock similar bulbs and would fit them for a small fee if you're not confident on installing them yourself.

I upgraded all four headlight bulbs recently in my Ocean to Philips racing vision. There is an improvement but they are still poor IMHO and I really regret not paying the extra for LEDs.

The H7 bulbs are now a push fit design rather than held in by the traditional wire clips. This is not an improvement and a real PITA to get them to seat correctly.... unless anyone can advise on technique?

Sounds like the T6 has inherited the T4 underrated headlight wiring harness. :talktothehand

I upgraded all four headlight bulbs recently in my Ocean to Philips racing vision. There is an improvement but they are still poor IMHO and I really regret not paying the extra for LEDs.

The H7 bulbs are now a push fit design rather than held in by the traditional wire clips. This is not an improvement and a real PITA to get them to seat correctly.... unless anyone can advise on technique?
I'd agree with the Valeo push fit H7 bulb fitting method being difficult on the Ocean.

I spent ages trying to locate traditional wire sprung clips that normally hold the bulb in place. Even removed air filter box to get a better view, with the use of a mirror & light, only to see that none were present?

You Tube didn't show up any solutions as to bulb removal so decided to pull plug off to see clearly & the bulb came out with the plug. All now clear, handbook shows clips so no help.

Method that I then used was to note which way up the bulb fitted into the plug before disconnecting , replacing old for new bulb. If you get it wrong the bulb will be upside down when trying to refit.
Insert bulb back into position then look into headlight from the front to ascertain bulb position is central and push it back in checking that its now fully home.
One of those jobs where you get good at it by the last one or two.

I was thinking of changing the DRL bulbs to LED's but it looks like the headlight would have to come out in order to get access to the both the DRL and turn indicator bulbs, brilliant design, not.

I've had these fitted for the last few months and they are a big improvement over standard:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MZQUGLK/?tag=eliteelect-21
I've also got a set of the RacingVision +150% bulbs but not had a chance to fit them yet.

Also if you can borrow someone with small hands it makes the drivers side much easier to do!

I've had these fitted for the last few months and they are a big improvement over standard:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MZQUGLK/?tag=eliteelect-21
I've also got a set of the RacingVision +150% bulbs but not had a chance to fit them yet.

Also if you can borrow someone with small hands it makes the drivers side much easier to do!
Thanks Stuart,
Very interesting.
I bought some Phillips Racing Vision bulbs today from Eurocar Parts. Not knowing anything about headlight bulbs, I took their advice based on my vehicles registration number, only to find that they had sold me H7 bulbs which wont fit my Cali. I may try the bulbs that you have fitted.
Many thanks,
Paul

The standard T6 Beach headlights are H4. If you have the "Exterior Pack" (really sensible option naming by VW there!) then you get the H7 headlights.

If I was going through the pain of fitting again I would fit the Racing Vision bulbs:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LYNVQBC/?tag=eliteelect-21

Also if you're not sure how to fit them, there are some good photos and videos over on t6forum.com

I agree with others about the standard headlights, which frankly seem a bit poor given the cost of the base vehicle. Whilst I live in suburbia as opposed to the depths of the countryside, I work the graveyard shift so have to use my headlights every day, and I argue with myself daily over not specifying the LED headlight option :( My only justification to myself is simply the outrageous cost, £2k??? Really...???? Madness.

I’m following this thread with interest, but I’m curious, if we were to change the existing headlight bulbs to more powerful ones, how would this affect (if at all) the VW warranty?

Worse case scenario, I change the bulbs and a few weeks later something goes awry with the electrics in the van, and VW immediately ‘blame’ my change of bulbs and refuse to fix the problem under warranty?

Am I being paranoid...??

I had the same thought. Does VW offer an after market headlight bulb upgrade?

I agree with others about the standard headlights, which frankly seem a bit poor given the cost of the base vehicle. Whilst I live in suburbia as opposed to the depths of the countryside, I work the graveyard shift so have to use my headlights every day, and I argue with myself daily over not specifying the LED headlight option :( My only justification to myself is simply the outrageous cost, £2k??? Really...???? Madness.

I’m following this thread with interest, but I’m curious, if we were to change the existing headlight bulbs to more powerful ones, how would this affect (if at all) the VW warranty?

Worse case scenario, I change the bulbs and a few weeks later something goes awry with the electrics in the van, and VW immediately ‘blame’ my change of bulbs and refuse to fix the problem under warranty?

Am I being paranoid...??
As long as they are " Road Legal " and " E " marked then I do not see how there can be any come back from VW. They change the make of bulbs frequently depending on their contracts. As long as they are the Correct Voltage / wattage and fitting.

All the Road legal 100 + % brighter Halogen type bulbs are still 12v and 55 w otherwise not Road Legal. Because they are brighter they tend to have a shorter lifespan.:thumb

I had the same thought. Does VW offer an after market headlight bulb upgrade?
My Dealership just offers Osram Nightbreakers equivalent if you want a few more Lumens.

Am I being paranoid...??
Bulbs are consumable items and not covered by warranty so unless you put sometihng silly in that destroyed the headlight or wiring then no issue.

There has been the odd problem with HID & LED conversions causing DAB Radio signal failure problems. one reason I haven't bought any as yet.
LED conversions should be on the open market from the main bulb manufacturers in the not too distant future.
Simple plug & play swap over then, no boxes etc to fit somewhere.

Thanks for starting this thread Borris & others for their posts.

We have been wondering what to do about the poor headlights on T6 Ocean.
We live on Dartmoor, lots of narrow unlit country lanes. Simon uses the Cali as his main car. He has already had an agruement with a Devon hedge one night, breaking one wing mirror.

Would like an upgrade . Will see how things develop.
Interesting reading the same/similar thread on the T6 forum.

Hmmm..

Well I’m still waiting for the delivery of my 30mm lowering springs from SMG ( as are about 7 other customers apparently) so when I get a date to get those done I might ask the dealer about headlight bulb upgrade options, get it done at the same time. Has anyone else done this via their dealer?

No doubt more expensive than an Amazon purchase and DIY fit, but... down to them should there be any issues in the future.

Back