Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Two candle power headlights

@Richy, which other lamps did you change and which LEDs did you use?

Hi there,
I changed the W5W's with LEDs from amazon
And the P21W's with set from Halfords.
(No fault codes)
All in all for 3 sets of bulbs I was £55.

Slightly cheaper than the quote to upgrade them from hazzydayz £3k + vat !!!!!!!!

Apparently the Caravelle and Shuttle have much better headlights than other T5s/T6s (panel vans, kombis, etc.). Does anyone know how they compare to the lights in a 2017 Ocean? I rented an Ocean and was shocked at how bad the headlights were (in country lanes at night). They were just terrible. I'm trying to get a sense of whether they're the same as the Caravelle or worse. (It's hard to imagine they're the same, because if they are, then the kombi/panel vans must be even worse, which seems incredible.) One of the reasons I'm asking is because apparently a lot of people upgrade their T5 or T6 to caravelle lights, and I'm wondering if that's an option for improving things on the California line.

thanks for any info!

Ocean and caravelle are the same (H7s).

And yes it's incredible but the H4s on the Beach / Kombi are even worse.

Hi there,
I changed the W5W's with LEDs from amazon
And the P21W's with set from Halfords.
(No fault codes)
All in all for 3 sets of bulbs I was £55.

Slightly cheaper than the quote to upgrade them from hazzydayz £3k + vat !!!!!!!!

Which lights are the W5Ws and which are the P21Ws?

I've been checking the 12volt levels on my T6 in relation to a different issue but found one possible reason for poor headlight brightness.

On morning switch on the voltage can be under 12v. start up puts it up to 14.4 as expected.
After a few miles it drops to 12.4 to 12.5V and remains at that level. This would be due to the 'smart alternator or Bluemotion' technology.

From that the normal T6 (bluemotion) headlight voltage would be 12.5Volt whereas older vehicles would have 14.4volt. That would give approx a 2volt lower operating voltage or approx 14% drop which would visually be a dimmer light.

LED headlights wouldn't be effected only halogen/tungsten ones.

I've used to have a Passat with "normal" lights and it was also BM... light was much better. Actually I've got mi Cali with no Xenons thinking I was getting the same...... but nope.

I gess in the Passat voltage level were the same: 14.4 charging, 12.xx not charging... 13.xx charging but full.

I was thinking in replace the headlight by the T6 ones... are tbey any better (regular ones)

I've used to have a Passat with "normal" lights and it was also BM... light was much better. Actually I've got mi Cali with no Xenons thinking I was getting the same...... but nope.

I gess in the Passat voltage level were the same: 14.4 charging, 12.xx not charging... 13.xx charging but full.

I was thinking in replace the headlight by the T6 ones... are tbey any better (regular ones)
No.
Upgrade the bulbs. Plenty of makes, Osram, Phillips etc: with 130% or more light increase.

I did, but the difference is not..... epic?

Thanks Richy, I see that Euro car parts sells the bulbs too so I'll have a look. It does say that they're only for off road use sonim guessing not road legal?

I've swapped the standard head lamp (H4) bulbs in my beach for the Osram Nightbreaker laser 130% bulbs - they're far whiter and brighter, a significant improvement in my opinion.

Thanks Richy, I see that Euro car parts sells the bulbs too so I'll have a look. It does say that they're only for off road use sonim guessing not road legal?

I've swapped the standard head lamp (H4) bulbs in my beach for the Osram Nightbreaker laser 130% bulbs - they're far whiter and brighter, a significant improvement in my opinion.

Hi they may well be for off road, but some of these cars with factory DRLs are blinding....
I've swapped the H4's for night breaker lasers too, they make some difference but I tend to use my fog lights at night too.

maybe a small mod with a dc-dc stabiliser could go inline to cure this..
For the headlights 4 72Watt ones would be needed, 1 for each light, gets pricey and stabilise at 12volts so would make matters worse probably.

I'm managing OK as to lights with the Phillips Racing version, bit of a come down after Bi-Zenon active set on previous BMW.

Life was simpler cheaper when 7" round headlights were the norm. instead of fashion styled lights.

For the headlights 4 72Watt ones would be needed, 1 for each light, gets pricey and stabilise at 12volts so would make matters worse probably.
I was thinking of stabilised at 14.4v but only thinking out loud really.

I was thinking of stabilised at 14.4v but only thinking out loud really.
Not criticising.
I've found the same problem, think of something that seems an obvious solution but when actually getting into detail it rapidly gets into the big money pit. What with Canbus and regenerative energy systems to contend with it's hard to get from idea to solution without side effects.

Can anyone tell me whether my 2013 T5.1 Beach has H4 or H7 headlight bulbs?
Halfords have the GE megalight ultra +130 bulbs on offer:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bu...utm_source=drytinder&utm_campaign=phgreferral

And

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bu...brighter-headlight-bulb-x-1?_br_psugg_q=ge+h4

So I’m thinking of up grading. The H7s get good reviews:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/76760/best-car-headlight-bulbs-2018-group-test

Unless anyone has any better recommendations?

As a person of limited practical aptitude, will I be well advised to pay a garage such as Halfords to change the bulbs?

Can anyone tell me whether my 2013 T5.1 Beach has H4 or H7 headlight bulbs?
Halfords have the GE megalight ultra +130 bulbs on offer:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bu...utm_source=drytinder&utm_campaign=phgreferral

And

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bu...brighter-headlight-bulb-x-1?_br_psugg_q=ge+h4

So I’m thinking of up grading. The H7s get good reviews:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/76760/best-car-headlight-bulbs-2018-group-test

Unless anyone has any better recommendations?

As a person of limited practical aptitude, will I be well advised to pay a garage such as Halfords to change the bulbs?
If you have a single headlight, dip and beam in one reflector unit , then H4's. If twin headlights H7's unless you have DRL's in the twin headlights where an H15 and an H7 are used on each pair.. Wouldn't have thought so in a 2013

OK! So I have Daylight Running Lights (my beach is a late 2013) and both main and dipped headlights appear to come from the same bulb. Does this mean my headlights are H4 bulbs?

Thanks Kaiser,
That is very interesting. Have you had any issues caused by the fitting of your new bulbs? I am not an auto electrician and don't try to understand the electronic complexities under the bonnet but is the standard wiring setup man, sorry non specific gender enough, to except more powerful bulbs?

Our van was an ex demo so we had no choice over the lighting but I am not sure that I would have ordered an upgrade if I had that facilicity then. The story is different now. These bog standard lights are some of the worst headlights that I have encountered in the last few decades and I can't understand what they are doing on a vehicle of this value.

Hi Boris I had a similar problem with our BMW 525d touring which we have just changed after 15 yrs . Great car but rubbish headlights . Even our Smart car had better . I tried lots of “ better “ bulbs and they did improve things so I would definitely try them . When I bought the BMW there was an option for Xenon . I wonder why ? Xenon was top of the list for my Cali .

Last edited:
H4 on a Beach as standard, H7 with the light & vision optional extra, H7 on a Caravelle / Ocean

I'm sure the H7 headlamps upgrade comes with the exterior pack on the Beach, not with lights & vision. Just saying for potential future buyers.

Last edited:
Hi Boris I had a similar problem with our BMW 525d touring which we have just changed after 15 yrs . Great car but rubbish headlights . Even our Smart car had better . I tried lots of “ better “ bulbs and they did improve things so I would definitely try them . When I bought the BMW there was an option for Xenon . I wonder why ? Xenon was top of the list for my Cali .
Hello Trebr,
In the end I swopped the standard H4 bulbs for some Carlos Fandango Phillips racing bulbs from Halfords. They cost a fortune but made some improvement in the lights but not that much IMO. I'm not going to change the headlights and will stick with them until I replace our current Cali. I'll then go for the LED lights with all bells and whistles.

Back