Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyre help

acer

acer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Sorry if it's dull. I nothing about tyres, but my two front tyres need replacing.

Value for money is more important than price. And, it would be good if something on the Cali was quiet!

I've got Dunlop 235/55ZR17 103W written on the side of the front ones at the moment, and my instinct is to re-fit the same. Something tells me that all tyres should be the same make. Or, is that nonsense?
If I can change the manufacturer which do you recommend? Or, is it like buying trainers (Nike, Asics and Adidas are all the same to me)?

Finally, does it matter if I fit 103Y or 103W? (One of my rear tyres says 103Y)

Y W is the speed rating of the tyre, all sizes need to be the same all round but you can have different brands front and rear EG Dunlop front Nexon rear no problem.

• Disagree
Reactions: Loz
Sorry if it's dull. I nothing about tyres, but my two front tyres need replacing.

Value for money is more important than price. And, it would be good if something on the Cali was quiet!

I've got Dunlop 235/55ZR17 103W written on the side of the front ones at the moment, and my instinct is to re-fit the same. Something tells me that all tyres should be the same make. Or, is that nonsense?
If I can change the manufacturer which do you recommend? Or, is it like buying trainers (Nike, Asics and Adidas are all the same to me)?

Finally, does it matter if I fit 103Y or 103W? (One of my rear tyres says 103Y)
If you don’t know, then time to find out I’m afraid.
If you make the wrong choice then your Insurance Company will happily invalidate your Insurance.

All you need to know.
http://btmauk.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Replacing-car-tyres-important-information.pdf

Who would have thought that tyres would be so interesting?

So, don’t mix different types of tyre – winter/radials/cross, but mixing brands might be okay?

Top tip from the document seems to be for me to move my old part worn tyres on the rear to the front, putting the new tyres on the rear.

I am now worried about the loading. It doesn’t tell me if my rogue 103Y tyre on the rear is okay relative to the 103Ws on the rest of the vehicle. Views as to whether my Cali should have 103W or 103Y? And, does it matter?

Of course, still interested in everybody’s view as to “best brand tyre“.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, modern abs and stability control systems rely to a certain degree on the tyres being the same from a grip point of view.

Plus, if you have 4motion it’s important to make sure the tires are the same tread pattern and similar depth all round to avoid rolling differences creating wind up in the transmission.

So, don’t mix different types of tyre – winter/radials/cross, but mixing brands might be okay?

Top tip from the document seems to be for me to move my old part worn tyres on the rear to the front, putting the new tyres on the rear.

I am now worried about the loading. It doesn’t tell me if my rogue 103Y tyre on the rear is okay relative to the 103Ws on the rest of the vehicle. Views as to whether my Cali should have 103W or 103Y? And, does it matter?

All tyres should have the same Loading ie: 103 minimum for the California, and same Speed rating with a Minimum H.
H,W or Y are fine BUT they should be the same at least on the same axle if not all round as different speed ratings have slightly different compound characteristics and hence performance.

As far as tyre brands/types are concerned. If you use the vehicle all year round and don't intend to use Summer Tyres and Winter tyres the All Seasons would be the choice.
I can vouch for Goodyear Cargo Vecters All Seasons, or the new Michelin Cross Climate.

Summer tyres give low noise and better fuel economy, Winter tyres better grip in the winter but tend to be noisier and poorer fuel economy.

I use All Seasons Goodyear in the past 20,000 + miles / set and still very legal but am now on the Michelin Cross climate, ? marginally quieter and 1 mpg gain in fuel economy over the Goodyears.

As far as tyre brands/types are concerned. If you use the vehicle all year round and don't intend to use Summer Tyres and Winter tyres the All Seasons would be the choice.
I can vouch for Goodyear Cargo Vecters All Seasons, or the new Michelin Cross Climate.

Summer tyres give low noise and better fuel economy, Winter tyres better grip in the winter but tend to be noisier and poorer fuel economy.

I use All Seasons Goodyear in the past 20,000 + miles / set and still very legal but am now on the Michelin Cross climate, ? marginally quieter and 1 mpg gain in fuel economy over the Goodyears.

That's an excellent trio of replies WG. Comprehensive and extremely helpful.