Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

tyre pressures....

Maybe this suggests that following the precise 'sticker' tyres pressures, provided you stay within a reasonable range, isn't actually crucial to tyre wear.

In any case, 'cold' tyre pressures will vary greatly depending on where you are, so even without actually driving anywhere on them, a 'cold' tyre at 34 psi on a chilly (-10C) morning in Aberdeen would be 42 psi on a hot afternoon (30C) in Madrid.

I don't obsess about tyre pressures, I just try to keep the things reasonably circular with the flatish bit at the bottom... it's not like I'm trying to beat my PB lap time on the Home-Waitrose run. ;)

Seriously though - on my Cali I try to keep them all in the low 40s.
Agree. 4 adult passengers could weigh anything from 50kgm or 100 Kgm, bicycles from 10 to 60kgm etc: etc:. The sticker should be taken as a guide really and the on the road experience and measurements of tyre wear the final arbiter of the best tyre pressures for how you load the vehicle and drive it.

Thanks everyone for the more in depth view on this.

My winter tyres are 215/60R/17C which I read the label as saying they should be at 54F and 51-54 R depending on loading. I've put the tyres at this pressure, but not tried them out yet.
Why are they so much higher than the pressure in the other two examples on the sticker?

Winter tyres are generally higher pressure to prevent the tread blocks closing up.
For driving in snow this is essential as the tyres use the "snowball" effect to get better grip. If the blocks closed up the snow would just slide off the tyre.

Talking of tyre pressures, I see it's cold over there, don't forget to check your tyre pressures.