GENERAL - winter tyres

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
  • Hi Folks,
I have just been to our local VW commercial dealer to finalise the dealer fitted accessories before picking up our new ex demonstrator T5 180 dsg 4 motion next week. As this vehicle is fitted with Bridgestone Turanza summer tyres we have decided to go for a set of winters on steel rims as well. The dealer has offered General winter tyres. Does anyone have any experience of this make? Are they a good choice? Can't find any reviews.

A quick search on the web has told me the General are part of the German Continental tyre group.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

And yes I know, I've picked a fine time to complete on the purchase of a VW diesel!

Also interested on a set of Winter on Steels, we have the Turanza's that came delivered as standard.

Planning a trip down to the South of France November, will we need Winter tyres? is it a regulation?
Any recommendations welcomed for Winter tyres and or Steel rims.

winter tyres are not mandatory in France.

However there are regions where chains are advised and enforced, mostly alpine.

For peace of mind if going anywhere near snow without winters then carry a pair of snow socks. They take up little room and simple to put on.

• Hi Folks,
I have just been to our local VW commercial dealer to finalise the dealer fitted accessories before picking up our new ex demonstrator T5 180 dsg 4 motion next week. As this vehicle is fitted with Bridgestone Turanza summer tyres we have decided to go for a set of winters on steel rims as well. The dealer has offered General winter tyres. Does anyone have any experience of this make? Are they a good choice? Can't find any reviews.

A quick search on the web has told me the General are part of the German Continental tyre group.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

And yes I know, I've picked a fine time to complete on the purchase of a VW diesel!
Sorry, I forgot to ask, will I need a new set of wheel bolts for the steel wheels?
The dealer says no but on every car that I have owned with alloys there has been special wheel bolts when the steel spare is fitted.

Last edited:
I fitted a set of M&S tyres that I got from Ben. I am sure other forum members have done the same. I was concerned that the wheel nuts might need changing but they were fine.

My van has the standard alloy wheels and the M+S tyres are Cargo Vectors on standard VW steel wheels.

I travel to North Italy at least once a year sometimes in the winter, local roads now have signage specifically stating that chains MUST be used when it's snowing. So I suppose that means compulsory.
In years past,on other vehicles, I have had to fit chains to keep moving but not yet been caught out in the Cali.

Rob

Sorry, I forgot to ask, will need a new set of wheel bolts for the steel wheels?
The dealer says no but on every car that I have owned with alloys there has been special wheel bolts when the steel spare is fitted.

Think bolts are diffrent on alu and steel wheels... But a GOOD tyre suplier knows it best...

I would expect the bolts to be the same as there aren't any different ones if you have to put the steel spare on if you have alloys as standard. I haven't changed bolts when putting on my winter tyres with steel wheels. Dave.

One thing that might be different is the torque settings for the bolts, worth checking.

I would expect the bolts to be the same as there aren't any different ones if you have to put the steel spare on if you have alloys as standard. I haven't changed bolts when putting on my winter tyres with steel wheels. Dave.
Thanks Dave,
Very useful information.
Best wishes
Paul

The Wheel Nuts for VW steel wheels and Alloys are the same. Buy from Ben they are a bargain.