Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyres

Ian on the road

Ian on the road

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
The 680 has 235/65 R17 as standard. I want to fit some all weather tyres but the closest I seem to be able to get are 230/60R17 that have the right load rating 115/117.

VW have told me that under no circumstances should I fit anything other than what’s on now.

Are they right, if yes, has anyone come across any all weathers in that size and load combination?

What does the sticker on the door pillar state?

Thats the one to observe.

What does the sticker on the door pillar state?

Thats the one to observe.
OP would like to fit his current size, the 235/65 R17 115/117s that were fitted from factory. He's trying to find a manufacturer that makes an all climate in his size. I've checked the Michelin Agilis Crossclimate website, not available. I don't know if he has other sizes on his door label that might be more easily available.

This is from the Agilis Crossclimate website:

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 11.05.45 PM.png

Last edited:
The 680 has 235/65 R17 as standard. I want to fit some all weather tyres but the closest I seem to be able to get are 230/60R17 that have the right load rating 115/117.

VW have told me that under no circumstances should I fit anything other than what’s on now.

Are they right, if yes, has anyone come across any all weathers in that size and load combination?
Hi Ian,

I'm waiting to see what mine turns up with as I opted for the all weather tyres from factory so there must be some alternatives out there. as long as they are weight and speed rated that complies with standard oem there should be no issue.

Are you sure the tires on your van are 235/65 R17 115/117? If so, it would seem that your van is fitted with a size that's not legally approved. As you can see from my post above, 235/60R17 115/117, which is approved, is available from Michelin in the all season Crossclimate Agilis. Which I love, by the way. I fitted them in January and tried them out at -10C with snow and ice at a mountain pass in the Pyrenees at 2100m. Chain requirement was posted, but I didn't need them.

Last edited:
Are you sure the tires on your van are 235/65 R17 115/117? if so, it would seem that your van is fitted with a size that's not legally approved. As you can see from my post above, 235/60R17 115/117, which is approved, is available from Michelin in the all season Crossclimate Agilis.
Hi not my post but yes the Grand Cali is fitted with that size and rating.

That label reads like the front tyres need a higher load rating than the rears judging by the “R” after the second figure. Does the GC come with a spare wheel ?
Must have same load rating on all wheels/tyres. The rating for the highest load axle is used.
Load rating is 115/117. 115 number relates to twin wheeled use which gives a combined 230 load rating per two wheel on one side, not applicable to GC where 117 is the figure to use with single wheels.

As close a match as possible with only a loss of 1mph at 70mph due to the 5% reduced sidewall.

The move from 16" to 17" rims has greatly reduced the tyre options available. This may improve over time as 17" demand increases.

Not checked but does Factory fit All Season tyres mean a 16" rim supplied?

That label reads like the front tyres need a higher load rating than the rears judging by the “R” after the second figure. Does the GC come with a spare wheel ?
Same tyres front and rear. No spare a standard due to weight, I guess. However I have one as the same option as the Crafter. Tyres marked as 235/65 R17 115/117 C guess the are weight rated for the rear axel.
R means speed C means commercial.

Edited 01/03/2021 Tyres marked should have read as 235/60 R17 115/117 C, sorry for confusion.

Last edited:
As close a match as possible with only a loss of 1mph at 70mph due to the 5% reduced sidewall.

The move from 16" to 17" rims has greatly reduced the tyre options available. This may improve over time as 17" demand increases.

Not checked but does Factory fit All Season tyres mean a 16" rim supplied?
I have opted for the factory fit all season tyres interested to see which manufacture it arrives with.
All GC in the UK are fitted with 17” , european models fitted with 16”.

I have opted for the factory fit all season tyres interested to see which manufacture it arrives with.
All GC in the UK are fitted with 17” , european models fitted with 16”.
No option for tyre type on current online Configuration for either GC Model.
Get only Summer ones.
May well be due to either the lack of All Season ones or because it will have a negative effect on the Emission level.

No option for tyre type on current online Configuration for either GC Model.
Get only Summer ones.
May well be due to either the lack of All Season ones or because it will have a negative effect on the Emission level.
Possibly due to emission level, but at time of ordering mine as you say not available on customer configuration now, but ordered on dealer configurator and was accepted. So hope they turn up!

Possibly due to emission level, but at time of ordering mine as you say not available on customer configuration now, but ordered on dealer configurator and was accepted. So hope they turn up!
Gut feeling says to ask the Dealer for tyre size that is on the all season option.

Gut feeling says to ask the Dealer for tyre size that is on the all season option.
It’s coming directly from factory with all season tyres. Dealer won’t know re size.

It’s coming directly from factory with all season tyres. Dealer won’t know re size.
Would have thought that it would show on his configurator. Might be the 235/60/17 Michelin which would explain that size on the door sticker above.

Would have thought that it would show on his configurator. Might be the 235/60/17 Michelin which would explain that size on the door sticker above.
That is the current tyre size on my 600 they never quote tyre manufacturer.all Uk are that size.

But you said above that you have 235/65/17s fitted rom factory.
Sorry my error, Edited 01/03/2021 Tyres marked should have read as 235/60 R17 115/117 C, sorry for confusion

235/60/17 has a few All season tyre options. example only possibly not the cheapest source.

235/60/17 has a few All season tyre options. example only possibly not the cheapest source.

Thanks for that every Cali (3) I have owned has come with continentals I’m hoping that this time they will come with the Michelin’s

Thanks for that every Cali (3) I have owned has come with continentals I’m hoping that this time they will come with the Michelin’s
Probably Goodyear:confused:

Back