Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New tyres, Continental Van Contact A/S ultra, seem very good…

F

far.landscape

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Haven’t seen these mentioned in many places - they seem like they were only released fairly recently…

Continental Van Contact A/S Ultra 235/60 R17 R (117), 10Ply, Directional (details copied from black circles)

They are exactly the same dimension and load rating (117/115) as the standard van contacts that the van came with, and so fit on the standard rims. I wasn’t bothered with going for the off road look of BFG’s Etc.

I always felt like the standard van contacts had surprisingly little grip on grass sites (they were very sketchy on anything other than hard packed dry grass) and even seemed pretty loose on dry roads in the corners, plus I was always surprised by how much they would “crash” over bumps at the recommended pressure of 61 front / 62 rear.

…Immediate first impressions of the new A/S ultra is that they feel far more positive in the corners, and crash far less over bumps and potholes. They only took an hour to fit them so the comparison from old to new is pretty direct.

They are also “M&S” (mud and snow) rated so (in spite of us now coming out of the winter) should be better next winter and less worrisome on wet grass pitches.

If like me you are wanting to improve grip but don’t want to go for something like bfg’s, perhaps take a look at them. They seem like a big upgrade on dry roads and should be better in more challenging conditions too.

They were notably more expensive and will not last as long - the compound is noticeably softer - however the benifits for me make that a price easily worth paying.

4bda1a9f233fd8b819ae8173adbb0887.jpg

6928d59ec3938237c186df441c16d262.jpg

d97ef550c16d55cdb977fdc27ea9c959.jpg

Back