Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Unexpected Soaking (has it happened to you?)

Damon18

Damon18

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Setting up the driveaway awning in a camp site in France (Lot) in the pouring rain.
The tailgate was up and used as a shelter during the setup (keeping the equipment dry whilst we toiled in the pouring rain). I thought I’d never been as wet in my life until I closed the tailgate, and took a bucket full of rain water in the face!!
What I hadn’t realised was that whilst we were toiling away putting up the awning the surround around the number plate had been slowly filling up with rain water, and when I closed the tailgate it emptied all over you know who.:Nailbiting
I can’t understand why the other half found this so funny.:D
So be warned, if you find yourself using the tailgate as a shelter against the rain, then I would advise you to stand to one side of the tailgate when you go to close it, and not directly underneath it as I did.
I’ve learnt my lesson, but unfortunately, I’m still capable of doing it again (age and man related).
Has anybody else had the same experience?
Cheers Adrian

Setting up the driveaway awning in a camp site in France (Lot) in the pouring rain.
The tailgate was up and used as a shelter during the setup (keeping the equipment dry whilst we toiled in the pouring rain). I thought I’d never been as wet in my life until I closed the tailgate, and took a bucket full of rain water in the face!!
What I hadn’t realised was that whilst we were toiling away putting up the awning the surround around the number plate had been slowly filling up with rain water, and when I closed the tailgate it emptied all over you know who.:Nailbiting
I can’t understand why the other half found this so funny.:D
So be warned, if you find yourself using the tailgate as a shelter against the rain, then I would advise you to stand to one side of the tailgate when you go to close it, and not directly underneath it as I did.
I’ve learnt my lesson, but unfortunately, I’m still capable of doing it again (age and man related).
Has anybody else had the same experience?
Cheers Adrian
Lol....! Top man for sharing!!!!!

Can't imagine why your other half found it funny :D:D:D:D
Thanks for the warning. I always stand clear of the drips when opening the boot but had never thought of when closing it.

At first I thought the new rear lid was looking nice, and when it ever might happen that I needed a new rear lid, I would have changed it to a T6 one.
Luckily I still have a working and in really good shape rear lid, so I will stick with mine.

That’s the built in shower option! ;)

Be careful- water will leak into the tailgate interior through the number plate screw holes if you leave tailgate up for long in heavy rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Normally there is a seal around the numberplate light and around the holes of the screws.
Don't T6's have LED lights that are clicked in rather than screwed in?

Normally there is a seal around the numberplate light and around the holes of the screws.
Don't T6's have LED lights that are clicked in rather than screwed in?

I observed this on my T5, so maybe it’s
improved now but I wouldn’t like to test that against a head of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Adrian
I'll be sure to get her indoors to close the tailgate in such situations :thumb
I thiink thats an adequate solution?
Would really tick me off to get wet.:Grin

great sharing, only had our Cali 2 months and both our trips have been 'sunny' but will heed the word !

This would be qualified as Type 2 fun in my book :happy

Type 2 fun is miserable while it’s happening, but fun in retrospect. It usually begins with the best intentions, and then things get carried away.

Yes, VW have thought of everything.

Another route to instant invigoration is to leave the awning out to fill up with rain water. Wait until it begins to buckle under the weight, then lower one leg........the awning's not your own! The weight of the water will ensure that said leg will telescope instantly. Less than a nano second later all your efforts will be rewarded with a 30,000 gallon tsunami of ice cold water. Very refreshing. Then get your partner to beat you with a birch switch. Clothes optional.

Back