Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Unveiled, the VW Caddy California

It’s just a Caddy Camper version upgraded with new bed , California table&folding chairs , and a Beach coocker .
All this “new” features” are ready on the shelf at VW .
Looks good doh , let’s hope they don’t put in the T6.1 controlpanel!

Tobias , he was twice our guide when doing a factory tour .

That is the California factory in Hannover where I picked up my Cali.
I don’t like the Caddy Camper at all. It is obviously geared to people on a budget, which is ok, but too expensive to be bought as an additional vehicle. Unpracticle as a single vehicle.

That is such shockingly poor design.

The bed solution is neat, especially with the legs.

Losing half the storage to accommodate chairs and table, lazy. Why not a smaller variation in the tailgate or roof headlining?

The space lost to the stove is equally poor.

If you told me this was their apprentices weekend first project I'd believe you.

Caddy California is an interesting concept especially for city dwellers or those wanting to tour all year without a tent but boy does it need more thought.

Practicing on a smaller vehicle, ready to launch an electric camper van later?

That is such shockingly poor design.

The bed solution is neat, especially with the legs.

Losing half the storage to accommodate chairs and table, lazy. Why not a smaller variation in the tailgate or roof headlining?

The space lost to the stove is equally poor.

If you told me this was their apprentices weekend first project I'd believe you.

Caddy California is an interesting concept especially for city dwellers or those wanting to tour all year without a tent but boy does it need more thought.

Agree. With such a small space to play with, they need to be seriously cute with the design to make it work well. Being able to dispense with the rear seats for camping trips is a good start, but beyond that they don't seem to have thought it all through very well. The demonstration guy seemed proud that they've used the same table and chairs from the T6 Cali... and that's a Good Thing because...?

Caddy Camper did not last long last time

Agree. With such a small space to play with, they need to be seriously cute with the design to make it work well. Being able to dispense with the rear seats for camping trips is a good start, but beyond that they don't seem to have thought it all through very well. The demonstration guy seemed proud that they've used the same table and chairs from the T6 Cali... and that's a Good Thing because...?
For a camper that size they need to scale down the chairs to stools, and a similar design for the table.
1599174720918.png
Or perhaps drop down the bed in the rear to convert to a double bench seat on the tailgate with a mattress cushioned seat pad and mattress cushioned backrest.The third section could be removed and flipped upside down and used as a table without the mattress?

Range Rover do a double tailgate seat.
1599176087493.png

I do like the concept for a weekend getaway camper for two people.

Last edited:
The bed didn't look flat when folded out also do you have to stand outside to operate it which if so is fine when the weather is dry. A pop top would have been nice but then I suppose it starts to push the price towards a Coast. Don't think it would be a pleasant place to sit in on a wet evening.

The bed didn't look flat when folded out also do you have to stand outside to operate it which if so is fine when the weather is dry. A pop top would have been nice but then I suppose it starts to push the price towards a Coast. Don't think it would be a pleasant place to sit in on a wet evening.
Agreed. Than you might as well get a 2 Second tent from Quechua, a campingaz stove with gas cartdriges and a box for your utensils and you can go camping even with a little Smart.

The micro-camper is bound to be a niche market but you do see various types around, especially popular with climbers/walkers, birdwatchers etc. Also I could see its role as an occasional camper in 'stealth' mode to overnight in car parks etc when travelling around. As with the full size Cali, I like being able to drive somewhere, jump straight into bed for a few hours without any tentage involved, and then jump straight up in the morning to do whatever I went for.

If I was younger, single and only had money/space for one vehicle, I could see a micro-camper as an interesting option. But it would have to be modular, ie be able to take out the beds etc to use it as a pure load-lugger when needed. I'd also want only a single-width bed, so I could still access my gear even with all the doors shut in bad weather or in stealth mode. And a pop-top to make it a bit more habitable and airy.

@Jay20cali , i have a perfect good T5 so no need to upgrade:talktothehand

Just pointing out that using parts from a genuine California to upgrade a Caddy Camper , what was there allready sevral years , so a California badge can be added is not all that rocket sience imo.
And just mentiont the control panel as there are quite some issue's with it at present .
But if you want to discus that , search for the existing threads on the forum as thats off-topic here anyway;)

Why did they have to call it a California?

Maybe they're laking a leaf out of Fiats book with 500's of all size.

@westfalia , obvious ....from marketing point of view .

The way the price of a cali is going we will all be buying caddy’s nexto_O
It’s a cool little van that could be used as tradevan (electrician, handyman, decorators etc), and then a little escape pod at the weekends.
Will be interesting to see what the price point is.
who knows they may build club jokers next!

When are they going to stop abusing California?

For me, California (in combination with VW) is the pop top Transporter.
The Crafter should have been named Florida.
The Caddy should be called Chihuahua (or something). That is in Mexico, and a small dog (small van).

Any other ideas?

When are they going to stop abusing California?

For me, California (in combination with VW) is the pop top Transporter.
The Crafter should have been named Florida.
The Caddy should be called Chihuahua (or something). That is in Mexico, and a small dog (small van).

Any other ideas?
Probably best to ask Westfalia to come up with name again.

Back