Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

upgrade auxiliary engineheater 2021 T6.1

P

pcevanrulo

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Has anyone upgraded their Webasto auxiliary engineheater (the liquid heating one) to a full working engine coolant heater?

I found out that you need the "Standheizung Webasto Aufrüstkit für VW T6.1" with number 1328073A and probably a control unit either a fixed one or a remote control like the T91 or T100. It looks like the kit has all the cables etc. that you need.

Does the system need reporgramming? I have a OBD-eleven, but am I able to do it myself or do I need the dealer for extra software?

Why do I want this? Of course I can use the build-in Eberspacher for defrosting the windows, but why not heat your engine coolant as well. It for sure is better for the engine and in my opinion the current function of the Webasto is limited to a to high minimum temperature before it kicks in.

Last edited:
Has anyone upgraded their Webasto auxiliary enigeheater (the liquid heating one) to a full working engine coolant heater?

I found out that you need the "Standheizung Webasto Aufrüstkit für VW T6.1" with number 1328073A and probably a control unit either a fixed one or a remote control like the T91 or T100. It looks like the kit has a the cables etc. that you need.

Does the system need reporgramming? I have a OBD-eleven, but am I able to do it myself or do I need the dealer for extra software?

Why do I want this? Of course I can use the build-in Eberspacher for defrosting the windows, but why not heat your engine coolant as well. It for sure is better for the engine and in my opinion the current function of the Webasto is limited to a to low minimum temperature before it kicks in.
I gather you have to install new software on the Webasto that over writes the VW software to work with the new controller, so a little involved. I would think it unlikely VW would do it. Also the new T6.1 digital control panel might be involved in the function of the Webasto so what effect changing the Webasto software might have is anybodies guess.
Question the seller of the kit closely as they should have all the answers.

The kit with nr 1328073A is an original Webasto part. So that shouldn't be a problem. I had a VW Touran with similar heater setup an bought a kit to make it work as a full parking heater. Only that was 10 yrs ago and VW moved forward with their CAN-protocols...

I'm not so sure the camper control panel is involved as it only controls the Eberspacher Air-heater.

Meanwhile I found some interesting stuff at Danhag.de It seems they developed a way around the VW-CAN system...

There might be another thread somewhere on the same forum. I recall reading "full nordic" try search for that.

I ordered the Danhag solution because it doesn't require any software flashing..

Last edited:
Roman numerals, that’s OBD 2 not 11. Just saying.

I suspect they made the same error as well?

Installed the Danhag with Webasto control. It really is plug and play. You do need the right tools for your dasboardtrim and climate unit or use caution.
I used the online manual and it took me around 1.5hrs in totall.

IMG-20211009-WA0028.jpeg

IMG-20211009-WA0031.jpeg

Last edited:
Installed the Danhag with Webasto control. It really is plug and play. You do need the right tools for your dasboardtrim and climate unit or use caution.

View attachment 85427

View attachment 85428
With this kit is it possible to use the heater during the night while sleeping in the van? Unfortunately my California doesnt have a proper parking heater but it does have the auxiliary heater

With this kit is it possible to use the heater during the night while sleeping in the van? Unfortunately my California doesnt have a proper parking heater but it does have the auxiliary heater
Yes, it is possible, but will drain a lot of energy from your main battery. And it is not very efficient for long hours as it also heats up your coollant.

If you start the heater independently of the engine to heat the cabin, does the temperature not plummet when the engine starts due to the huge cold heat sink suddenly applied to the water flow?

If you start the heater independently of the engine to heat the cabin, does the temperature not plummet when the engine starts due to the huge cold heat sink suddenly applied to the water flow?
The engine should be warmed up as the coolant heated by the Webasto circulates round the engine as well. If on for long enough the engine radiator as well. In auto mode the Webasto will shut down when the coolant temperature reaches 80c, so I am led to understand.

The engine should be warmed up as the coolant heated by the Webasto circulates round the engine as well. If on for long enough the engine radiator as well. In auto mode the Webasto will shut down when the coolant temperature reaches 80c, so I am led to understand.
How is it circulating round the engine? is just the hot coolant rising & the cool stuff sinking, or is there a electric pump involved?

How is it circulating round the engine? is just the hot coolant rising & the cool stuff sinking, or is there a electric pump involved?
The Webasto pumps the coolant around. Therefore it consumes a lot of electricity (in combination with the interior fan)

Well the reason I asked was that the equivalent kit for the 4 included a bypass piping arrangement that just pumped the hot water around a short circuit to provide cabin heat.
I’d be surprised if the additional electric pump did use the full circuit as it would be pushing against a static engine water pump (given the engine isn’t running). So in other words, would the engine be warm? Perhaps some residual heat from the water but nowhere near as warm as combustion heat.

Well the reason I asked was that the equivalent kit for the 4 included a bypass piping arrangement that just pumped the hot water around a short circuit to provide cabin heat.
I’d be surprised if the additional electric pump did use the full circuit as it would be pushing against a static engine water pump (given the engine isn’t running). So in other words, would the engine be warm? Perhaps some residual heat from the water but nowhere near as warm as combustion heat.
I only installed a controlunit to manually turn the (zuheizer)Webasto heater on. The interior starts warming up a few minutes after start. If you turn on the engine after 30-45minutes of heating the temperature gauge on the dashboard shows up to operating temperature (depending on the outside temp.)
You can feel the pipes in the enginebay getting warm. So yes, it pushes the coolant around in the system. Is it possible there is a valve or something?
The control unit also controls the climatronic-panel and somewhere in the starting proces also the radiobuttons flash and the lock-door button flashes.

Hmmm ok. I doubt it’ll open the engine thermostat so it may not be circulating through the main radiator. Anyway.

If I run the coolant heater (engine running) it gets warm inside pretty quickly. Sub 10mins.

I’ve fitted a temp switch override so I can fire the heater regardless of external temp.

View attachment 85427

View attachment 85428
Did you have to wire modul to climatronic (which I see you have) or you just removed trim to fit Multicontrol. I am looking in this DANHAG thing and in the manual it says that only climatic need additional loom to A/C controls. Does it trow out any faults on OBDeleven after running as a parking heater? Can you start it even if outside temp is over 5 deg. celsius?
Thank you.

It has been over 2 years since installation, so I'm not sure about the wiring.
There are no faults when or after using the Webasto and the outside temperature has no effect on turning it on.

Back