Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upgrading to motorhome

blakeley

blakeley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Anyone considering upgrading to a motorhome? we have decided we need more room and a bathroom mainly to extend our season to all year round especially in Europe ( once borders reopen)

Before we get the usual replies about size etc.. I am asking if anyone is considering it? I'm NOT asking people to compare the Cali with a Motorhome as we know there is a compromise with both which has already been done to death on here.

Anyone considering upgrading to a motorhome? we have decided we need more room and a bathroom mainly to extend our season to all year round especially in Europe ( once borders reopen)

Before we get the usual replies about size etc.. I am asking if anyone is considering it? I'm NOT asking people to compare the Cali with a Motorhome as we know there is a compromise with both which has already been done to death on here.
We went the other way and wanted a motorhome but decided on an Ocean which is more than adequate for our needs.

We looked at the Murvi Pimento, I was interested but better half thought it rough and ugly, would not consider a change from classy Cali.

No we are not considering changing up to a Big White.
If you want more size, the answer is clear, you've got to have a motorhome. I don't quite understand what you're asking.
With regard to bathroom, unless you are wild camping, I presume you will be staying at at campsites. I've never understood people preferring using a cramped Cindy shower rather than the on-site facilities.
Just love driving it, its go anywhere ability, the VW lifestyle No Cali every time for us!

Good afternoon,

Yes, we thought about to get a bigger campervan (not necessarily a full grown motorhome). There are a few nice options I would be interested e.g. La Strada Regent or Hymer DuoCar. But there are no factory sales points available in Ireland. There is always something that could go wrong and I prefer to go back to the people who have most experience with the camper van.

But with the Covid 19, the future of Diesel engine etc. we are not quite sure if it makes sense to invest a huge sum of money into a camper van / motorhome. We keep the California for the years to come and try to get the most out of the money we have invested.

Regards,
Eberhard

We have considered changing to a bigger van only because we feel we need a loo on board.

Being at an age when night visits to the loo are regular occurrences, having one in the van is preferable to trudging across a dewy campsite at 3 in the morning.

Have looked at the Grand 680 (but need a C1 license for that and have just lost it) or the Hymer Car range. There was a nice Crafter based van at Centrum VW when we visited but can't remember the model just now, possibly Westfalia.

Alan

No we are not considering changing up to a Big White.
If you want more size, the answer is clear, you've got to have a motorhome. I don't quite understand what you're asking.
With regard to bathroom, unless you are wild camping, I presume you will be staying at at campsites. I've never understood people preferring using a cramped Cindy shower rather than the on-site facilities.
Just love driving it, its go anywhere ability, the VW lifestyle No Cali every time for us!
The shower in my old Rapido was more spacious and had a stronger water flow than my en-suite at home. I would always use it in preference to any site shower.

Yes....

Mrs H is not keen to give up her touring caravan (ie. Bathroom) so I can see a compromise on the horizon...

I'd always enjoyed the idea of the 'VW scene' and it was an itch I had to scratch, Mrs H not so bothered or keen.....

We've specifically looked at an Auto Trail Adventure 65, van conversion, all the usual motorhome comforts (ie. Bathroom), but pop up roof for me so still feels like hybrid camper van/motorhome

Dealer-1014196-0.jpg

Some reflections. Why would you consider the purchase of a motor home "upgrading"? In terms of size, maybe. I have come the other way and I don't consider the purchase of my Cali "downgrading", in fact it is the second most expensive recreational vehicle I have bought.
I did so after careful consideration in relation to my current situation and life style: I very much like the space a so called "Big White" gives you, but it can come with disadvantages, depending on what you intend to do with it. They definitely make a self contained base for any style of holiday, but have limitations in providing personal transport while you are using them. A secondary form of transport is almost essential, Dutch motor homers use bikes, I prefer a motorbike. Some owners even tow cars. Where is the sense in that? (but they must think it worthwhile for their lifestyle and holiday needs).
I have been to some places where the locals have been very surprised to see me, but my philosophy was "if the concrete mixer truck can get there, so can I". A smaller vehicle would have made life somewhat easier. Similarly, I have lost count of the number of times that I have rocked up to some car park only to find the dreaded height barrier blocking my way. Equally, it is rather embarrassing to have to persuade about five cars to back up when you have missed an Italian narrow street warning sign.
I could live with all of the above, and I can see your point about all year round holidays, but surely a lot of the photos on here give the lie to winter use.
The clincher for me now was the versatility, near car like performance, ease of parking and availability at a moments notice for a day, a weekend, a week or a month or more and I would have no qualms about winter use either, but I do concede that I would miss the shower.
I know that you didn't ask for this , so I apologise in advance, good luck with your search.

As I thought, sone people are commenting about what I know already, thanks for the contstuctive comments so, I quite like the look of the Auto Trail, just watching some videos on it now.

I got the Cali for short duration trips from our Normandy house.

We have already decided that in the event of selling the house that the Cali wasn't suitable for our personal criteria and would seriously consider a larger van conversion, Hymer or similar. Not an A Class Motorhome.

We do miss the onsite freedom of travel that a caravan gives with a car or 4x4.
Sites didn't seem to cater for them as much as static caravans and chalets seemed to more profitable to the site owners - extended season. In France that is.

We have considered changing to a bigger van only because we feel we need a loo on board.

Being at an age when night visits to the loo are regular occurrences, having one in the van is preferable to trudging across a dewy campsite at 3 in the morning.

Have looked at the Grand 680 (but need a C1 license for that and have just lost it) or the Hymer Car range. There was a nice Crafter based van at Centrum VW when we visited but can't remember the model just now, possibly Westfalia.

Alan
You just need a Medical to get the C1 back, bit annoying and additional expense. I didn't bother either.

We have had all big,medium then calis a few times... i have always come back to a California but I must say I definitely fancy a crafter conversion... in the near future even though we just took delivery of our new 6.1 .

We waited that long for the cali with one arriving damaged then the next got cancelled after the full term waiti due to changing over to the 6.1,
so we waited again for a 6.1 .
3waits in total for 1 van ...:oops:
And I must admit it’s the nicest California I have ever owned truly beautiful...
but During the long long waits I spotted a few crafters I or we definitely like ..
so if anyone’s going to be looking for a massive spec 6.1 ocean sometime in the near future just give me a shout .
I have a Westfalia crafter itch that needs scratching.
We have owned Westfalias before and are thinking of another on a vw/man base vehicle..
But I may change my mind lol

You just need a Medical to get the C1 back, bit annoying and additional expense. I didn't bother either.
It came up at the start of Lockdown. I had looked at getting a medical before then but had dallied and so missed the opportunity. Once I thought about it, I had had C1 on my license since I passed my test back in the late sixties and had never used it, so I have doubts I will now.
Decided to renew anyway (for mid-April) and look into getting C1 if and when we get a bigger van.

Alan

I would be wary of anything that needs a C1 license as it restricts the resale audience. Anyone who passed their test up to 1990 was given C1 under grandfather rights. After that a separate driving test is required which most people don't bother with unless they are going to be HGV drivers etc. This means effectively that you've ruled out 99% of people under the age of 47 as potential buyers.

We have had all big,medium then calis a few times... i have always come back to a California but I must say I definitely fancy a crafter conversion... in the near future even though we just took delivery of our new 6.1 .

We waited that long for the cali with one arriving damaged then the next got cancelled after the full term waiti due to changing over to the 6.1,
so we waited again for a 6.1 .
3waits in total for 1 van ...:oops:
And I must admit it’s the nicest California I have ever owned truly beautiful...
but During the long long waits I spotted a few crafters I or we definitely like ..
so if anyone’s going to be looking for a massive spec 6.1 ocean sometime in the near future just give me a shout .
I have a Westfalia crafter itch that needs scratching.
We have owned Westfalias before and are thinking of another on a vw/man base vehicle..
But I may change my mind lol
I spotted one yesterday, matt black and a bit of gloss black.
It looked really cool, i mean, really cool. Although, it might not be cool in the heat.

Scratching the itch is what we all must do.

I understand very well that some people want to change, to have a shower but mainly a toilet.
But there is no reason to call that an upgrading !
Some points will be better, others less. It is not the same concept.

I spotted one yesterday, matt black and a bit of gloss black.
It looked really cool, i mean, really cool. Although, it might not be cool in the heat.

Scratching the itch is what we all must do.
I agree mr falia,
I like the dark met grey ones, it’s either grey or white or silver :rolleyes:

I understand very well that some people want to change, to have a shower but mainly a toilet.
But there is no reason to call that an upgrading !
Some points will be better, others less. It is not the same concept.
I agree, and then you are stepping up to a massive van.
Although for some people it is okay to have a massive van on
their land.
Who am i to say what's right.
At the moment i like ours, but when on the grass camping, i do
think.

I considered upgrading two years ago when my Sister felt she wanted to travel with me and I had got a bit tired of spending a few months of the year on my own.

I have had bad experiences in the past of fiat Ducato, and I do not see many commenting favourably on them now, so for me it had to be Mercedes or VW based which led me to Hymer. If I wanted to go bigger it would be Hymer Grand Canyon S, the best compromise between size and the bathroom facilities that my Sister would need at least part of the time.

We did not go down that route eventually, we bought an Eriba caravan which gives me the camper to use as a second car and for me when I am camping on my own and my sisters bedroom and bathroom for when we are travelling together.

I was, still am, very impressed with the Grand Canyon S.

I would be wary of anything that needs a C1 license as it restricts the resale audience. Anyone who passed their test up to 1990 was given C1 under grandfather rights. After that a separate driving test is required which most people don't bother with unless they are going to be HGV drivers etc. This means effectively that you've ruled out 99% of people under the age of 47 as potential buyers.
Apparently most people who buy these are just turning grey and well in the limits and will be for some time!!! 99% Really.

I considered upgrading two years ago when my Sister felt she wanted to travel with me and I had got a bit tired of spending a few months of the year on my own.

I have had bad experiences in the past of fiat Ducato, and I do not see many commenting favourably on them now, so for me it had to be Mercedes or VW based which led me to Hymer. If I wanted to go bigger it would be Hymer Grand Canyon S, the best compromise between size and the bathroom facilities that my Sister would need at least part of the time.

We did not go down that route eventually, we bought an Eriba caravan which gives me the camper to use as a second car and for me when I am camping on my own and my sisters bedroom and bathroom for when we are travelling together.

I was, still am, very impressed with the Grand Canyon S.
It would be the Sven hedin for me gj ,
but the Grand Canyon is similar and stunning.
I just like westys the quality is stunning being fully winterised with the underfloor heating is just luxurious.

It would be the Sven hedin for me gj ,
but the Grand Canyon is similar and stunning.
I just like westys the quality is stunning being fully winterised with the underfloor heating is just luxurious.

That too would have been very high on my want list. Either are lovely.