Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upgrading to motorhome

But at 3 am, the stars are out and you might miss out on that!!
True enough, provided you don't trip over while gazing up at the stars while on your way to the loo block!

Alan

As one of the midnight loo ramblers - I sympathise - we pack a Thetford and a loo tent (does as a shower tent too) for when the loo trip is too far or no loos. Prefer to use site loos when poss - maybe not with COVID-19 - but flexibility is there
We have a Popaloo and the frustrating popup tent that goes with it which comes into play when necessary.

Using a plastic bag is a bit of a pain, but the pop-up tent is a real PITA.

Having worked in the TV and film industries for many years I thought folding the tent would be easy having folded up the camera department's reflectors many a time. It isn't, can't think why except the shape is so different from a smaller circular reflector.

Alan

Last edited:
We were very tempted by the Adria twin plus on the Fiat Ducato base, Has a large bed setup and washroom that converts to a shower easily. In the end we have stuck with the calli for day to day use and will probably hire for longer trips.

If we were retired and touring Europe/ North Africa for 4-5 months of the year then I think I would be tempted by aHymer B544 - very solid you can pick a 2000 one up for about £20k good reputation, drop down bed over cab, big lounge and only 6m long - oh and strong resale values as well.
Julie and Jason of “our tour” fame drive one if your interested :thumb

We are not retired yet - maybe 4 years if we are lucky so the everyday driveabilty of the Cali being my main vehicle wins for me :)

Anyone considering upgrading to a motorhome? we have decided we need more room and a bathroom mainly to extend our season to all year round especially in Europe ( once borders reopen)

Before we get the usual replies about size etc.. I am asking if anyone is considering it? I'm NOT asking people to compare the Cali with a Motorhome as we know there is a compromise with both which has already been done to death on here.
Have you thought of the Grand Cali or the Westphalia Kepler One? Both have on board loos and keep you in the VW ‘family’.

I like this...
https://earthroamer.com/lti-2/
The price tag puts me off though....and I’m not sure it’d fit down UK lanes...

i think I’ll just stick to my VW. I’ve just bought a porta potty for my shower tent...all as yet unused...alongwith imy answer to a shower tray...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00XLEIQLC/?tag=eliteelect-21

I haven’t yet worked out how I’ll empty this...i have a collapsable bucket which I suspect might come into it...!

there’ll be time yet to practice in the garden!

In January 19 we changed from T4 California Coach with compact roof to a new Westfalia Columbus 601D.
We had previously had a VW Bay Window for 12 years in which we covered 96000 miles( I'm old I still think in miles).From Spain to Sweden we did have fun in that van.. Still have it and it will be hard to part with.
The Columbus is on the Fiat Ducato Panel van and is 6 mtrs long. We looked at a lot of Vans but it was this layout that worked for us. Transverse fixed bed gives a good amount of storage underneath. The Sven Hedin was also in the running but the Crafter is a much narrower van. This why there is that electrical pop out on one side for you feet. On the Grand California this bump is permanent.In the year that we have had it we have done 16000 miles and it has performed without any issues. It has the Comfortmatic gearbox which does have it's quirks and it will never be as good as a VW DSG box.But I have grown used to it and it has never missed a beat.
The van suits what we wanted in a van and it is the same for everybody. People need different things from a van which is why I would never say that we "upgraded".We just changed because we wanted different things from our van. For me there two parts of a van. One is how it drives and the other is how well the conversion works while parked up. The conversion side was the most important aspect for us.

We are upgrading to a motorhome for the main reason that we need a bathroom and we spend a lot of time on the continent

We are in the process of part exchanging our California Ocean for a Hymer Ayres Rock. We've done lots of research and weighed up the pros and cons and have decided it's going to work for us (but that's not a choice that would work for all). Mr B is retiring next year so we plan on doing a lot more touring - the Ayres Rock is only half a metre longer than the California but has a fixed bed and toilet. Yes, there are compromises but we're prepared to make them.

We are in the process of part exchanging our California Ocean for a Hymer Ayres Rock. We've done lots of research and weighed up the pros and cons and have decided it's going to work for us (but that's not a choice that would work for all). Mr B is retiring next year so we plan on doing a lot more touring - the Ayres Rock is only half a metre longer than the California but has a fixed bed and toilet. Yes, there are compromises but we're prepared to make them.

Hi Mr & Mrs B
Oh but its not a daily drive, oh you will have difficulties finding a parking place. Oh you cant get all the kids in there!!!

they are all a compromise.

well done and a good choice

In January 19 we changed from T4 California Coach with compact roof to a new Westfalia Columbus 601D.
We had previously had a VW Bay Window for 12 years in which we covered 96000 miles( I'm old I still think in miles).From Spain to Sweden we did have fun in that van.. Still have it and it will be hard to part with.
The Columbus is on the Fiat Ducato Panel van and is 6 mtrs long. We looked at a lot of Vans but it was this layout that worked for us. Transverse fixed bed gives a good amount of storage underneath. The Sven Hedin was also in the running but the Crafter is a much narrower van. This why there is that electrical pop out on one side for you feet. On the Grand California this bump is permanent.In the year that we have had it we have done 16000 miles and it has performed without any issues. It has the Comfortmatic gearbox which does have it's quirks and it will never be as good as a VW DSG box.But I have grown used to it and it has never missed a beat.
The van suits what we wanted in a van and it is the same for everybody. People need different things from a van which is why I would never say that we "upgraded".We just changed because we wanted different things from our van. For me there two parts of a van. One is how it drives and the other is how well the conversion works while parked up. The conversion side was the most important aspect for us.

Yes we also looked at Sven hedin model on new shape crafter. Looking at reviews a lot they seemed to be well thought out and we thought the pop out rear section was cool but not sure we would need to as neither me wife or me are over 5’10”. Residuals will be good aswell which is why we will probably wait a few years until the prices are more affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been looking at the Sven lots too ...it’s a lovely van we had a columbus 601d so I’m aware of how nice the Westfalia’s are been into VWs for 30yrs so a Sven would be a nice upgrade from a California.
It’s now on a MAN owned by vw but it’s the same as the crafter with a different badge.they go down the same production line
It being on a Man is a better in my opinion it’s still a vw and you can take it too the man service centers instead of the vw ones.
Man are open 24hrs due to being mostly trucks