Use as an everyday vehicle?

Tattooz

Tattooz

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Cali on order
Hi everyone

My first post on here so hello to you all
I am thinking of buying a Cali in the next few weeks and one of my main concerns is that it would have to be my main vehicle so I would have to use it as my every day transport to work and dropping kids at school and just popping out to tesco's etc. My question is do many of you use their campers like this and if you do is it practical as and everyday car?

Steve

Hi Steve and welcome
I personally have a separate car but I know a lot of people use their cali's as their main car. They are
Ideal for popping to the shops days out.just imagine the other parents faces when you drop the kids off at school in the Cali.
A lot of people have sold their large motor homes in favour of the Cali as it is so versatile. And with an engine returning between 30-40 mpg it's not that thirsty.my insurance is £230 per year so cheap to insure.
I'm sure someone on here will let you know what they are like as an everyday vehicle
Calikev.

Hi Steve,

My Cali is my only vehicle. Granted I don`t need to do school runs etc. but I do my shopping and other day to day things. I actually find it easier to park than the Mini Cooper I had. Having said that, I do try and pick my parking spots in busier car parks and only park next to newish vehicles in the hope that they wouldn`t want to damage their own with wayward door opening. The sliding door can be handy in tight spots and great for throwing kids(?) and shopping in. Ditto on the cheap insurance, good consumption, good residuals and just a great vehicle to own and enjoy. Go for it my friend, I`m sure you won`t regret it - you could always buy a cheap runabout if you really felt the need. Good luck whatever your choice.

Bob

Ours used as main vehicle for commuting to and from work. Used for shopping, moving 3 collies around to walks etc. Actually surprised me how economical it is for such a big 'car'. I had a Avensis T180 Estate before and reckon it's on a par with that for mpg. Really just an overgrown estate which comes with bed(s), cooker and fridge.Load carrying ability outstanding especially with the split level rear shelving. Easy to park though I also pick my places to avoid shopping trolleys.Very . very comfy comfirmed after a 13 hour drive from Bedford to Germany (accident on M25 and Eurotunnel backed up) with no aches and pains which I would normally have. Strugling to fault it other than don't expect it to be able to be thrown around twisting mountain passes. Respect it's heavy and what it's designed to do and it's genius bit of kit. So pleased with her and even Mrs G, slightly sceptital given price tag is won over and huge convert.

brother10 said:
Hi Steve,

My Cali is my only vehicle. Granted I don`t need to do school runs etc. but I do my shopping and other day to day things. I actually find it easier to park than the Mini Cooper I had. Having said that, I do try and pick my parking spots in busier car parks and only park next to newish vehicles in the hope that they wouldn`t want to damage their own with wayward door opening. The sliding door can be handy in tight spots and great for throwing kids(?) and shopping in. Ditto on the cheap insurance, good consumption, good residuals and just a great vehicle to own and enjoy. Go for it my friend, I`m sure you won`t regret it - you could always buy a cheap runabout if you really felt the need. Good luck whatever your choice.

Bob

+1

Steve

Our VW Cali is the most versatile vehicle that we have ever owned.

What can you NOT do in a Cali :roll:

Go for it & you too can be..................

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum.

We purchased our Cali originally as a second vehicle however we soon ended up using the Cali more than the car so decided to sell it, as mentioned above the insurance is cheaper, there is also only one lot of road tax, its just as easy to park as a car (if not easier) , so many other plus points aswell. We also use our one for the school run and it works fine for us. Also you only have one lot of depreciation rather than two.

All costs added up we worked out recently we were over £1500 per year better off!!

Hi Steve,

Yes, a Cali is practical as a daily vehicle. I use mine daily for commuting, school runs, trips to the dump, shopping etc. Parking sensors are a must. A 5th seat useful but we use the car when we need more than 4 seats.

Ewan

No problem at all using as an everyday vehicle as they are so versatile. Very easy to park, and generally good on fuel. I would recommend you keep all your pots, pans etc out of it, to stop any excess rattles. When I had my left foot in plaster later this year I used one f my DSG Cali's as mydaiy and it was excellent, retuning a opined fuel economy of approx 28, on a good mx of roads.

Oli

My cali has been my only vehicle for the last three years. No problems once you've got used to the vehicle's extremities, parking sensors help in the first instance.
A lot of the larger saloons have a bigger footprint than the cali. Can't honestly see the point in having a second vehicle unless it's to be used at the same time by another family member. Costs wise, I have been amazed at the fuel economy for such a large vehicle. Depreciation which is normally the biggest cost for a vehicle is very low on the california, better than most popular low depreciating cars.

Hubert

Ours will be the second vehicle, somthing which was high on our requirements. I only do a few miles per day work wise but also do the shopping etc. I certainly think the walk in the supermarket car park may be longer though!

Shani has pointed out that the heated seats may promote it to the first vehicle if it is particularly cold in the mornings! Mind you, I'm up and out first so she may need to shop at Damart.

We sold our car to help pay for the Cali so it's our only vehicle, only problem as such is fuel consumption ,30 vs 60 mpg is quite significant, guess it depends how many miles you would do in a car

That said, many cars don't do much more than 30 mpg anyway

I also use my cali daily. Sold car & motorbike when I bought it.
Only downside is the fuel consumption circa 27 mpg around Milton Keynes due to all the roundabouts.

I would recommend you keep all your pots, pans etc out of it, to stop any excess rattles.

Oli I keep all my pots & pans in cali all the time. They are wedged in & shelves are lined with anti-slip mats. Don't get any rattles that I can hear (just turn stereo up more).

Thanks everyone for the replies. Well thats it then looks like I'm on the hunt for a new Cali. Fuel consumption is not a big deal, I am driving a Ford Ranger 3.0L automatic pickup at the moment and I'm only getting 22mpg out of that so 30 will be nice.

Steve

Interesting thread! Close to agreeing on a 180 4motion to cope with our comically steep driveway and the occasional tow of a small speedboat. Do they make good tow vehicles? Its replacing a Defender which is very good at towing.

We'll keep our other car I think - BM 335d touring. Hard to beat for long distance work trips!

A friend has a 4motion that he uses to tow his trials bike on a trailer into some dodgy car parks (read muddy fields!) he says it is often the only vehicle that gets out under it's own steam rather than needing a tow from the farmer.

I use a standard 180 DSG to pill my 1.2tonne caravan and 'tugs' really well so can only figure the 4Motion must be very good indeed. £ tone of car gives you a fairly big margin for towing vehicle to control any trailer and a motorbike traler so far within hte Cali's limits suspect you won't even notice you have on the back.

Steve, purchased 180dsg in December and use it as my main car. Do about 1,000 a month business plus personal on top and so far it's been great. Only 1,500 on the clock so far but returning 36mpg on a run. I do have parking sensors so this helps but I used to own a Volvo XC90 and there is very little difference... except the engines miles better and you can sleep, cook and eat in it. You won't have any regrets. James

You were all spot on. I've had the Cali now for just over a week and using it every day and it's great. I do worry about leaving it on the side streets where I work because it's the only place to park and it's not the best place to leave a £46k motor but it has to be so that's what I do, any worries I had about general use ie. Shopping, car parks, using daily soon went out the window.

Steve

Have used mine as an everyday vehicle since purchase in Nov 2006, no regrets still enjoy driving it everyday, now done 76000 miles

If you plan to use it for driving to work just check that the insurance you choose includes commuting. Many camper van policies exclude not just business mileage but also home to work journeys.

Use as an everyday vehicle? Absolutely - its my only vehicle!

This thread was actually a large influencer in getting our Cali!

I am looking at the new california beach and wondering if better for everyday use?

slimmed down spec but more seats and cheaper. have made a post with no responses yet but positives and negatives. For everyday use though i think it could be better. For serious tourers i suspect you need the "full fat" version. Need to go to see one

d

Hi it will depend on how many of you there are. Also what you like doing.
The beach will be a usefull everyday vehicle maybe ok for an overnite stop
Probably lacking storage for any longer. Best advise is go and look at both and see what suits you best they are both great vehicles. :thumb

I have had a cali for just over a year and use it as an every day vehicle for school dropoffs (2 kids), work, weekend getaways, towing trail bikes to events, grocery shopping etc.... Fantastic.

Sometimes a bit hard when driving to work not to keep going :) The van is always stocked and ready to go. Living in New Zealand means you can be out of the city and exploring some really stunning yet isolated areas within a couple of hours. 4motion means gnarly tight gravel/dirt roads (which is what most of our state highways look like!) are no problem.

Only downside is that, being a 4 seater, with my wife and 2 kids, there is no room to transport our kids friends to sport.

Rechipping to 220hp and 485nm helped with the fun factor...and surprisingly fuel economy.

Cheers