Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Everyday Use?

Gareth Davies

Gareth Davies

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Evening all.. I am looking to purchase a VW Cali, I have 2 girls and usually commute to work on the train and I was curious to hear how viable a VW is as an everyday vehicle. If I go by train to work which is c.3 days a week its 20 mins there and 20 mins back. And dropping/picking up the kids is 20 mins which is also twice a week.

I'd prefer not to have 2 cars.. anyone else use it as an everyday vehicle?

Yep, me, tho mine is a conversion. Love it & OH likes it too, which surprised him. Just so practical & comfortable.

Panel van converted a bit, I needed a different configuration due to having dogs. Nearly bought a Cali & got used to bring here whilst doing my research. Conversion forums tend to be people who do lots to their vans.

Used a Cali as a daily drive since 2012 c 15k a year.

PS :welcome

2012 SE. Had it from new. 80,000 miles. My only vehicle, daily driver. Definitely works for me!

My forum name reflects the struggle I went through wondering if a Cali would do two jobs - proper camper and everyday vehicle. It does. You soon get used to the size (no bigger than many cars...you just sit very forward). I worried about getting dents and scratches in my precious Cali, but rationalise that fixing a trolley dent in a £40k Cali costs no more than on a £10k Golf.
Because virtually all Cali's are modern diesels, they don't like too many short runs without a regular decent run to clear the emissions equipment out.

Mine is my only car, works perfectly and love it.
Height restrictions on car parks can sometimes be an issue however.
Don’t fancy taking it upstairs at the Brighton Marina car park.....

Had Eddie nearly a year and have done 1000 miles a month. It works well for us. Use it happily for daily driving although agree that as a diesel it needs a good run out now and again. This requirement has never been an issue! It has replaced my previous car, and some.

Me too. The only car I own and it is great for everyday use.

More of the same really. We use ours (Beach) everyday as the main family wagon. Kids have a melt down if we try and use the other car for them, it's their 'van' now :thumb

I'm just about to take the leap. It is the only way I can justify spending so much on a vehicle.:thumb

When we return from our year away we will be buying a second car. But that’s because we live in London and we make many short trips. Electric would be our preference, but they are rather pricey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s all relative. I used to think people who used their Cali’s every day were nuts, purely on comfort grounds.

For the last few months I’ve been using a pretty hard core German sports car as a daily.

I dream of the smooth, quiet plush ride of a Cali :confused:

Only vehicle here too :) It's just perfect

Daily use, and currently the most desirable vehicle in the family ....... (4WD and MnS tyres)..... everyone wants me to give them a lift over the next two days :D

It is the only way I can justify spending so much on a vehicle
Well if they continue to suffer such little depreciation, you can add that as a reason too.

Daily use also for drive to work; such a relaxing drive!

Mine is my only car, works perfectly and love it.
Height restrictions on car parks can sometimes be an issue however.
Don’t fancy taking it upstairs at the Brighton Marina car park.....
I much prefer it over a car now. Love the high driving position.
I contacted Brighton Marina and over hight can park in the coach bays behind McDonalds. They are normally all empty and despite what the signs say I double checked at the security office and they confirmed ok for a few hours to watch a movie etc.

Daily use here driving 4 days a week to work. Particularly look forward to loading up for holidays, be it weekends or longer journeys into Europe.

I park in the Asda Car Park it free for three hours and never seen anybody checking...

I normally buy something in Asda but not always.

I park in the Asda Car Park it free for three hours and never seen anybody checking...

I normally buy something in Asda but not always.
Yeah I used to park there but a meal and a movie longer than 3 hours and many car parks now using ANPR cctv to ticket people. Now prefer coach bays as no chance of car door dinks, it’s covered by cctv and much less chance of being hit by some boy racer trying to do donuts as in the big Asda Car Park.