Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Beach as an everyday vehicle ?

Cautious Lip

Cautious Lip

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi

As you may have seen from my 'introduction post', I'm buying a California Beach as soon as the T6 version is available to order.

I'm thinking of using it as my main car, to avoid it just sitting there from one trip to the next.

An old friend of mine has used his older VW Camper as an everyday ride and had no problems, until it got to the end of it's life. He's now a T5 owner and plans to use it in the same way.

Is anyone else here using their Beach for daily use too?

Cheers

We use ours as our daily drive.Only other vehicle we have is a Sprinter van, which is used by us both for business.

My SE is my daily drive. Personally I don't see the point in having an expensive vehicle lying idle. Use it or lose it is my motto.

Yep, the SE is my daily driver. I think it is the same size as my previous car. No real issues apart from "car park height barrier anxiety".

Mark

We bought our se to downsize from a motor home & only intended using it for weekends & holidays, its ended up being so good on fuel, quiet & comfy to drive that we've decided to sell my car & I will be using it as my only vehicle.
To be fair another major consideration is that my annual mileage two years ago had crept up to something like 25k & having had a career change its dropped back to something under 10k. If I was still doing 25k I would want a car as well.
I believe its better for the car to be used regularly rather than parked up for weeks on end.

I use mine every day with no real problems, have had the lowering springs fitted so it now easily goes through any of the 2m height barriers even with the awning fitted. Such a great vehicle 7 seats when you need them for extra carrying capacity take them out for a weekend away. Don't buy the VW bike rack and expect to get 4 bikes on it as that's what I have done and its got to be the worst design bike rack I have ever seen and I have used a lot of bike racks over the years. Great if you want to fit 2 bikes or 3 at a push but not 4.

I'm now on my 3rd T5 and I have used them daily without any problems. I think that's one of the other main features of the van it's just like owning a big car, only with many many more lifestyle benefits.
Mike.

Us too, with 2 toddlers, a dog and lots of outdoor hobbies a car just wouldnt fit lifestyle. Had T5 Caravelle and big vango tent before finally going for our Cali.

I use my SE as an everyday 'car'. It replaced an Audi A8 which I think is a great car but I just enjoy the Cali a lot more.

I use my beach everyday, for work and freetime.
my only complain? fuel consumption.
I do many short runs and from monday to friday my t5 is about 9km per liter...

I don't use mine as an everyday vice but would be happy to. Easy to drive, fits in a standard parking space, loads of room for shopping.......why have I got a car again?

Darn Auto correct - vehicle not vice! Although perhaps it's a fraudian slip!

Use everyday and for business too. I can travel, make a drink, wash and use the toilet if I have to! I keep a bunch of different clothes in the wardrobe. I travel casual and get changed into a suit near to destination when on business! Much more relaxing way of travelling with lots of space and can use laptop with the inverter (SE).

Hi

As you may have seen from my 'introduction post', I'm buying a California Beach as soon as the T6 version is available to order.

I'm thinking of using it as my main car, to avoid it just sitting there from one trip to the next.

An old friend of mine has used his older VW Camper as an everyday ride and had no problems, until it got to the end of it's life. He's now a T5 owner and plans to use it in the same way.

Is anyone else here using their Beach for daily use too?

Cheers
Hello

Our SE is used as an everyday vehicle to we also fit a fith seat when required for the grandchildren it has worked out perfect for us. The pleasure of driving it everyday instead of waiting for holidays is a great benefit.

The beach is a better everyday car than an everyday car...
we only have one vehicle - 2013 beach, even my wife loves driving it (you get the high up feeling of a 4X4) it parks as easily if not easier than a normal car, there's certainly much better visibility in the giant wing mirrors.
If I'm honest I would like it to be more efficient but for the size and weight of the vehicle that would be asking too much, it is pretty decent for what it is.
As mentioned elsewhere, the sliding door is a god send in bad weather - everyone jumps in the back quickly and shuts the door, then the arranging and belting up and strapping the kids in, happens in the dry, without having your arse in the rain outside! step through to the front and drive off.
not sure what to do on a horrible day - go to the beach in the beach. pull up in the parking spots along the coast road - everyone else is at home because the weather is horrible. sit having cups of tea and look at the rough sea from the cozy van. inevitably you end up going and playing on the beach with the kids anyway but then you come back to a warm dry cozy van for a picnic in relative luxury.
As a lifestyle choice for our family, it is a no brainer, can't recommend it enough.

Couldn't agree more.
We use our SE daily for school run, shopping etc. Then at the weekend it turns into our fun vehicle for day trips (enjoying cups of tea and hot choc whilst making the most of the British weather). May I add that the sliding door also allows for easy access in tight spaces.

Back