Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Using the stereo whilst on hook up

Annik

Annik

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi we have a 2015 SE and was wondering if it is OK to listen to the stereo in the cab while are are on hook up or will it drain the starter battery?

My stereo turns itself off after a while which I think is a deliberate design to save the battery. I have read other posts on here about alternatives which may help.

On hook up your main engine battery is being charged along with the leisure batteries, so it would be fine to listen to the radio all day long if it wasn't for the cutoff. Some people have bypassed it, I believe; try searching the forum

On hook up your main engine battery is being charged along with the leisure batteries, so it would be fine to listen to the radio all day long if it wasn't for the cutoff. Some people have bypassed it, I believe; try searching the forum
Owners of older (pre face-lift?) Cali's should be aware this statement doesn't apply to them! Their engine battery will drain even if on hook-up.
Off hook-up, all engine batteries will drain unless the wiring is modified to power the stereo from the leisure battery.
The fancier the stereo, the higher the drain.

No it is not OK - you should be out in the fresh air and not listening to your stereo all day :rolleyes:

Seriously I would proceed with caution - the charger prioritises the leisure batteries and only trickle charges the engine battery.

Given that and the fact it auto turns off all of the time I would go with a bluetooth speaker and your phone for tunes....

Other threads appear to indicate that 2008 is the magic year - where you get charging of the engine battery.

Other threads appear to indicate that 2008 is the magic year - where you get charging of the engine battery.

Agree... post 2007 model year.

Yes the radio uses the starter battery and that is something that I am a bit paranoid about,

but,

As others have said the cut off is a pain :(

I either use a Bose soundisk Mini, which charges off the otherwise useless inverter socket (via a 3 pin adaptor) or a Denon soundbar, which charges off a USB socket, either connected via bluetooth from laptop/ i pad / i phone,

As I always suggest, you can get the stereo wired to the leisure battery along with a toggle switch like we did when we bought our sat nav.
It's ideal, when we get to site we just flip the switch on the base of the passenger seat and the stereo runs permanently with no worries about draining the engine battery.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

As I always suggest, you can get the stereo wired to the leisure battery along with a toggle switch like we did when we bought our sat nav.
It's ideal, when we get to site we just flip the switch on the base of the passenger seat and the stereo runs permanently with no worries about draining the engine battery.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Ours is permanently wired to leisure batteries... couldn't really see the point in the switch.

Also the 1hr cutout has been disabled on the head unit.

Strangely though we still don't use it when parked... We use a bluetooth speaker like many have mentioned.

Rgds

Mark

I don't know the SE model, but I've found in the Beach (2015) the main battery is never charged on hook up. Actually I'm seriously thinkg in connect the headunit to the leisure one.

My 2014 SE charges ALL batteries on hookup, but I tend to use a small soundbox with 16 days music on a USB stick or I'm on WIFI with my iPad or at the PUB.:thumb

Ours is permanently wired to leisure batteries... couldn't really see the point in the switch.

Also the 1hr cutout has been disabled on the head unit.

Strangely though we still don't use it when parked... We use a bluetooth speaker like many have mentioned.

Rgds

Mark
My head unit has no power button so if it was wired permanently to the leisure battery without a toggle switch if would never turn off!

Sent from my Galaxy S6

My 2014 SE charges ALL batteries on hookup......

That's interesting..... Maybe I tested wrong or maybe for Beach it's different. Do all batteries get charged at the same time or there is an specific order (i.e. first leisure and, when charged, then main one)

Evening all listening to the radio with the van hooked up, should I be worried that it will drain the van battery? T6 ocean

Thanks

The radio as you know will turn it's self off. the radio operates from the van battery not the leisure battery.

I use a DAB radio or a streaming app with a Bluetooth speaker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk