Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VB Air suspension - good?

Finally I got a quote for Belgium: EUR 6420 all-in (autolevel and emergency inflation valves).
It includes an administrative cost for getting the vehicle legal in Belgium (Belgian burocracy all over again): EUR 550
Very expensive..

Ouff... That's about €1400 more than we paid. But we haven't got the standard emergency valves but a more generic solution to inflate the system with a separate compressor (which we have on board to be able to vary the tyre pressure).

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

wow!!! near 1000 euros more than last year when I asked!!!!! It looked to me pretty expensive, but "payable", that much is too much IMO.

Maybe we should organize a join venture

wow!!! near 1000 euros more than last year when I asked!!!!! It looked to me pretty expensive, but "payable", that much is too much IMO.

Maybe we should organize a join venture
Well, substract the 540 euro Belgian burocracy fee (which I've already paid once to have it converted from passenger car to camper a year ago), substract the emergency inflation valves for 260 and you are close to your price...

Iceland has been my dream holiday country (been there 3 times now). But this investment would mean I cannot swap the California with anything bigger in the next 10-20 years. That's a tough choice.

I'd like to keep it that long, but if Elon Musk creates a Teslafornia I might want it.

Pretty convinced meanwhile that I will have the VB system installed, will just try to forget the price soon afterwards.

Just read in the VB Air suspension leaflet that "when ordering the vehicle, please also order fabric option UF1".
I do not have this UF1. Reading about it, it seems to be some kind of Electrical interface for external use (terminal strip in driver's underseat box)" - from https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/electrical-interface-spec.6425/
Is this standard on Beach MY2015? How can I check? And what if I don't have it..

My guess is that it is a power take off point, possibly fused.
I doubt that it will impede fitting the VB suspension if you don't have it. The VB system doesn't interface with the Can bus in any way as far as I'm aware.
Not sure about other countries but my installer told me that if it's ordered with a new vehicle it's not done during manufacture. He has fitted lots to new vehicles after they have been imported and before delivery to the dealer.
Just a point to be aware of is that the dealers (at least the one I use) hasn't got a clue about the air suspension, even tried to blame it for the rear camber being out in our van. It needs pointing out to them that the Service button the the control should be pressed before jacking up etc. All in the VB manual but they don't have it even though it's VW approved.

Saw this system which shows VB Air suspension in action

Impressive.

After a lot of thinking, I followed my heart, pulled the plug and placed my order (as I did when ordering the Cali.. never regretted that). The standard version, not with increased height. It's indeed a compromise and the amount of off-road use will be small, percentage wise.
I also look forward to
- the Sport setting to lower fuel consumption a bit on highways,
- the 1.90m parking garage possibility in lowest setting
- the reduced costs on ferries and cargo vessels (For Iceland with Samskip, a EUR 173 price decrease), for Smyril Line it's EUR 76 less in high season.
- the auto-level option for campsites.

Of course reduced fuel consumption and ferries combined will not make up for the total cost, but it does take a bit of financial pain away .. If we keep the cali for another 200K kms, at 0.5 liters less it's about 1500 euro saved on fuel, the ferries (Scandinavia fans as we are) might yield another 500 euro..

What I'm also hoping, but not sure about, is that our youngest will be carsick a lot less often. He threw up 10 times in one day last summer... Guess we'll see.
To be installed this january... :)

Do you know if the original suspension (1.5yr old, 17K kms) can be sold and what it might be worth?

Yes, you can sell your original springs and shock absorbers, they can be reused. Because the Cali is relatively heavy, they are of a stronger/heavier kind than on most Transporters, so there is some interest. But don't expect a lot of money. In the end we gave ours away to another club member for a crate of beer... :-D

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

Pretty convinced meanwhile that I will have the VB system installed, will just try to forget the price soon afterwards.

Just read in the VB Air suspension leaflet that "when ordering the vehicle, please also order fabric option UF1".
I do not have this UF1. Reading about it, it seems to be some kind of Electrical interface for external use (terminal strip in driver's underseat box)" - from https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/electrical-interface-spec.6425/
Is this standard on Beach MY2015? How can I check? And what if I don't have it..
I was thinking about the air suspension system until I saw the requirement for the Interface being factory ordered. it's a £300 option in UK (Beach and Ocean) and as I daren't give VW any reason to put my order back I've gone off the VB air fitment plan.

I was thinking about the air suspension system until I saw the requirement for the Interface being factory ordered. it's a £300 option in UK (Beach and Ocean) and as I daren't give VW any reason to put my order back I've gone off the VB air fitment plan.
I was told by the official VB dealer that the interface is not required at all on new/recent (T5.2+) vehicles because the Cali comes with a similar connector under one of the front seats, and they can access the CANbus elsewhere. They only need the speed signal for those settings that have speed limits (offroad, parking garage, lowest, highest).

Just to clarify, we can fit VB Full Air 4 corner with or without the UF1.
The UF 1 makes life easier in as much as we don't have to strip half of the dashboard apart in order to get the ignition live, brake signal and speed signal.
The wording on the leaflet is a little mis-leading as it insinuates it's a necessity.
Ryan.

I'm picking up my Cali Beach T5 4 MOTION tomorrow after the installation of VB Air suspension. Excited..
Any things to check or ask regaring use or maintenance? Any things to adjust (sport height?) and play with? I will definitely ask about how to use those emergency inflation valves in case of problems.

You should get a manual with it but its reallyeasy to use.
One main thing to remember is to press the service button when you jack it up.
Make sure anyone who serviceit knows this, my dealer was totally unaware of this/

Hi Zeratul,
-Good advice from Briwy. Reading the manual is always the first step. (I know it's not the manly thing to do, but all the information you need is in there).
-It's fairly unadjustable as far as Ride Height and Sport Mode are concerned. (These are non adjustable as VB cannot allow the safety to be compromised by people wanting to lower it any more than pre-agreed with VW).
-Make sure the 'Tilt Function or Tank Empty' mode is tipping to the correct side to empty your waste water. (I've had it come programmed from the factory emptying on the wrong side and it needs a quick plug in to the software to change it).
-Make sure the 'Auto Level' (if you've gone for that option) is levelling to where you want it to. (the work surface is normally the best point).
-Other than that, then enjoy and then write a fantastic review on here so we at Rosmia can get a few more fittings from you all.
All the best,
Ryan
Rosmia

Picked up the car yesterday. Even though I didn't order it, I seem to have gotten the extra +3cm offroad version. The dealer seemed to indicate that for 4MOTION this was the only option whereas before I had the impression it was a choice for the customer.
Anyway, I guess can live with that, especially given our Iceland plans and because in Sports mode, the car is about the same height as before. But I won't have the slightly decreased fuel consumption and the lowest possible setting is now 193cm instead of 190cm which makes 1.90m carparks and ferries impossible.

Driving makes indeed a huge difference, especially when cornering. I like it, it feels a lot smoother, less body roll, handles better. A great upgrade.
The version I got was labeled T5/T6 and has a small air tank near the spare wheel which is used to speed up lifting and that seems to work very well. It only takes a couple of seconds to go from sports to off-road mode. Also it has a compressor which does not require maintenance anymore - I was told.

It might have been a good idea to take power from the leisure battery instead of the engine.. Forgot to ask if that was possible.

Next stop is installing the raised air intake, then the Michelin Latitude cross off road tyres, and then ... ready for Iceland.

aaf18ce2-dde2-44d7-af30-aa04509c7f66.jpg

I'm starting to become tempted again. The ride quality in my Discovery on air is poles apart from the California.

Rosmia - Can you please PM some costs to me.

Even though I didn't order it, I seem to have gotten the extra +3cm offroad version. The dealer seemed to indicate that for 4MOTION this was the only option whereas before I had the impression it was a choice for the customer.
That is definitely a customer choice, also with 4Motion. We have the regular on ours, not the +3 cm version.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Yeah I think so too. But I've accepted it now... The difference on the rear axis between highest and lowest position is a whopping 18cm! And on the front axis 14cm. The regular kit only has 15cm on the rear axis and also 14cm on the front.
The sports mode on the +3cm elevation kit is -3.5cm, so actually lower than the original (-0.5cm).
It drives great.
And approximately 29cm ground clearance in the highest position.

Hi Zeratul,
The extra 30mm is an option even if you have the 4 Motion. It was originally done as VB Holland got a specific request for a fleet of Forestry Commission vehicles (from memory).
We offer the option but only really recommend it if the person is doing a lot of off road wild camping. Travelling to Iceland would have been one of those occasions where I would have recommended it so I think you've got the perfect set up now. Plus it looks great in the off road position with chunky tyres.
Ryan.

Any other suppliers?

Enquiry call / no return call
Return enquiry call / no return call

Conversation yesterday, will send you an email and quotation. No email or quotation
Call today / no one answering?

Last edited:
Hi @pjm-84 ,
Sorry if we've been a bit slack today. I'm not sure exactly what's happened but we have had a problem with the phone lines on and off today which I think is now sorted.
I'll make sure the quote is sent out first thing in the morning and a follow up call made straight after.
Regards.
Ryan.

Ryan, quote received. Thanks.

Hi Ryan,

I have a T6 California Beach 4 Motion and i'm looking forward to install a vb air suspension. I contacted the local dealer here in Romania but they are a little bit confused about options. Is it possible to tell me all option that are available for installing?

Many thanks,
Bogdan Viziteu.

I've attached the Product Sheet which should give you all the information you need.
Let me know if you need anything clarifying.

Attachments

• EN Product sheet VB-FA 4C Volkswagen Transporter T5-T6.pdf
    560.4 KB · Views: 133
Back