Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Venice and Slovenia

We are trying to decide if its worth taking the Bromptons to Slovenia and Venice.
Probably going to stay on the Soca Valley river where we can also do some Paragliding.
I notice there are quite a few cycle tracks but not sure if they are only suitable for mountain bikes.

I cycled down the Flåm railway navvies track on my Brompton towing a two year old and a three year old in the trailer behind me.

The question to ask yourself is what would make you feel worse:
1. Having your Bromptons and finding you can’t use them? Or;
2. Not having your Bromptons and finding you could use them?

I know what would make me feel worse. We rode our Bromptons in Slovenia, a combination of tarmac and cinder trails.

I cycled down the Flåm railway navvies track on my Brompton towing a two year old and a three year old in the trailer behind me.

The question to ask yourself is what would make you feel worse:
1. Having your Bromptons and finding you can’t use them? Or;
2. Not having your Bromptons and finding you could use them?

I know what would make me feel worse. We rode our Bromptons in Slovenia, a combination of tarmac and cinder trails.
Yes this is the dilemma is it worth carrying them if we might now get some reasonable use out of them.
Incidentally does anyone have any good Apps for cycle tracks suitable for Bromptons?
We have tried 'Komoot' which is quite good.

Ok the decision is made. We will take our Bromptons. After a bit of research it looks like visiting Vienna Austria and Ljubljana Slovenia the bikes will be perfect for exploring the cities.

The track around Lake Bled in Slovenia also looks like our 16" wheels may be able to handle it.

Ok the decision is made. We will take our Bromptons. After a bit of research it looks like visiting Vienna Austria and Ljubljana Slovenia the bikes will be perfect for exploring the cities.

The track around Lake Bled in Slovenia also looks like our 16" wheels may be able to handle it.
I live in Slovenia (moved during covid period) so can suggest some good cycling that is not just Ljubliana. Bled is loverly to go around.

I live in Slovenia (moved during covid period) so can suggest some good cycling that is not just Ljubliana. Bled is loverly to go around.
Oh wow that would be great. Our folding bikes have 16" wheels so mountain bike tracks are out of our comfort zone.
We hope to stay at Camp Gabrje or Camp Soca as we are keen Paragliders.

Paragliding, there's quite a bit of that where we live. Saw 13 of them in the sky last week - I guess it must be linked to 'Štart paragliding Dobrovlje'. Head towards Zalec / Celje. Lots of camping and a cycle rides to the beer fountain in Zalec. Mostly flat in the valley and very pleasant along the Savinja river

Oh wow that would be great. Our folding bikes have 16" wheels so mountain bike tracks are out of our comfort zone.
We hope to stay at Camp Gabrje or Camp Soca as we are keen Paragliders.
It's not the wheel size that really matters, more the type of tyre and inner tube. Tyres suited for tarmac are more puncture prone and have less grip if used on gravel or mud tracks. We had another brand of folding bike with more substantial hybrid tyres and went off tarmac regularly, no problems.

The Lake Bled circuit is *perfect* for Bromptons. (We did in on honeymoon on our tandem).

Paragliding, there's quite a bit of that where we live. Saw 13 of them in the sky last week - I guess it must be linked to 'Štart paragliding Dobrovlje'. Head towards Zalec / Celje. Lots of camping and a cycle rides to the beer fountain in Zalec. Mostly flat in the valley and very pleasant along the Savinja river
Thank you @pematthe-1967. Do you have any similar recommendations to the West of Ljubljana? as we will be spending most of our time on that side.

Thank you @pematthe-1967. Do you have any similar recommendations to the West of Ljubljana? as we will be spending most of our time on that side.

Not so much really as I live to the east of LJU, more central to the country. As activities I can recommend the caves at Postojna, https://www.visit-postojna.si/en/ or the caves at Skocjan. Also, go to Kranjska Gora and cycle the path to Jesenice or in the other direction into Italy (did that by accident a few years back and found a great bar). Nothing in paragliding I'm afraid. Dog walking and cycling for me.

Be aware that some campings near the Soca can be horribly crowded; we fled from camp Koren but found camp Vodenca wonderfull (near Bovec, which is the center of outdoor activities); some campings just let people in even if they are already overbooked. East from Lubljana we can recommend camp Podgrad Vransko, extremely friendly welcome and perfect accomodations.