H

Hotel California

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
On our way home from the Denmark trip /Bornholm meet
We visited the Düsseldorf show to see the T6.1 California but also been checking out other options beside a California .
It was my first visit to a big motorhome show (Brussels show is not that big) so i've seen lots of things i liked.
There's much more on the market then just our Cali's , some even as good for less money i think.
If you look what you can get for under 50.000€ in a buscamper i might just go for one of those when the Cali-lifestyle does not suits me anymore (climbing upstaires , need better wash-up facylities,...)

There was a very good looking Fiat full campervan that i found very nice
IMG_1459.JPG
IMG_1460.JPG
IMG_1461.JPG
IMG_1462.JPG
This Fiat also caught my eye
IMG_1463.JPG
Some other T6 conversions
IMG_1415.JPG
IMG_1416.JPG
This Renault also looked ok
IMG_1418.JPG
IMG_1417.JPG
These pick-up style vans you also get to see a lot on the show
IMG_1452.JPG

The new California version does look great with some nice new features but i can perfect live without those new things and keep my 2012 SE ;)
The salesmen at VW where not all that good in answering my questions , asked 3 of them and eighter had worked with the new control panel or even driven one...
Talked also with the Dutch salesmen from VW Camper Centrum Amersfoort witch gave us the free entrance tickes and he said that orders are comming in fast . Delivery not until spring 2020.
New colors look great on the warderobe , the lounge bed is a nice thing also i think this could get fitted in older models with some adaption .
The new wheels looked ok to me , not that fan of pimping my ride but they look nice .
Some new paintcolors that where on display was a nice (retro) Bay Leaf Green , two-tone Copper Bronze .
Also one Grand California on display (600model) and it also had quite some attention from the public.
We had a good 5 hours walk arround , not intrested in big whites or caravans .
Few times we stick our head in a few bigger models and they all look nice but not something we would buy ever , also those prices...?

If we change from a Cali it would be Van-style or maybe one of those 4x4 models as they look so cool also .

While camping in Berlin last week there was a Iveco Bimobil parked up
At the show we saw the price ....225.000€ :eek:

Last edited:
Some pic's i took at VW , but there's been other threads and movies arround on the forum so nothing new to you all i guess....
IMG_1376.JPGIMG_1377.JPGIMG_1393.JPGIMG_1378.JPGIMG_1402.JPGIMG_1419.JPG

The T6.1 Beach now comes in two versions :
The Beach Camper , with the bespoke mini-kitchen
The Beach Tour , witch had two sliding doors (no mini-kitchen)
Both have thesame controlpanel as the Coast/Ocean and can be orderd with a hydrolic roof also from now on .
IMG_1391.JPG
IMG_1394.JPG
IMG_1395.JPG
IMG_1396.JPG
IMG_1401.JPG
IMG_1398.JPG
IMG_1400.JPG
IMG_1392.JPG
Alltough there was damage allready on the demo-model , the screws are scraping the trim when folding the kitchen-unit in/out.
We saw a saleslady who tryed to fold it in and took her 5min as it was uneven levelled and it took her quite a few attemps to fold it away.
IMG_1399.JPG

Last edited:
The Coast/Oceans new interieur colors looking very nice , the new style handles and sliding doors in the rear could be a better thing then the slats we have in the older Cali.
IMG_1379.JPGIMG_1380.JPGIMG_1381.JPGIMG_1389.JPGIMG_1390.JPG
Personal i'm in favor for the Light Oak color instead of the Graphite Grey
The roof canvas comes in three colors : strawberry red and glacier blue witch there was before but i think the grey is much darker and now called basalt grey.

The lounge-bed is a nice feature alltough i think when there's lots of stuff on the rear shelf its not that convenient to put it in angle before relocating stuff.
It does is very easy to handle/put up and i think it could be fitted aftermarket in older models.
IMG_1382.JPGIMG_1383.JPGIMG_1384.JPGIMG_1424.JPGIMG_1425.JPG

The controlpanel got changed in a touchscreen.....with turning knob:headbang
I see thesame problems with the knob failing in time as we have now so to me not all that clever thinking from VW .IMG_1386.JPG
IMG_1387.JPGIMG_1388.JPG

We waited about 20min in the line to get inside and a salesman gave us a tour .
He explained some things as almost every used material is recycled or recyclabe .
Bamboo wood tables and stairs , vilt on the walls , recycled plastic from pet-bottles .
The black trim outside (bumpers,...) are 3D printed and the bodywork itself is a material disigned by BASF and has high resistance to heat .
Inside it all looks very well disigned even for a concept car , i can remember very well the first time we got in the Grand California conceptcar at Brussels fair it was not that solid as thisone.
The pop-top alltough is a downside imo. They should do a downstaires bed when it go in to production.
All electric features in the camper are controlled by a tablet .
IMG_1430.JPGIMG_1432.JPGIMG_1434.JPGIMG_1435.JPGIMG_1438.JPGIMG_1439.JPGIMG_1440.JPGIMG_1441.JPGIMG_1444.JPG

IMG_1448.JPG

Some other nice things
IMG_1375.JPG
IMG_1449.JPG
A boat-caravan!
IMG_1451.JPG
This would look good at a next meet for sat.evening BBQ @Martin or @calikev
IMG_1450.JPG
IMG_1464.JPG
Real camping it was back then....
IMG_1465.JPG
IMG_1458.JPG
And there were also some (E)bikes on display
IMG_1466.JPG
IMG_1467.JPG

A very well equiped offroader

IMG_1408.JPGIMG_1409.JPGIMG_1410.JPGIMG_1411.JPGIMG_1412.JPGIMG_1413.JPGIMG_1414.JPG

Last edited:
There was a full electric camper by Reimo .
Range 120km so from my doorstep just accros the French border:oops:
But concept so a good start
IMG_1407.JPG
Another nice Mercedes camper.
IMG_1420.JPGIMG_1421.JPGIMG_1422.JPGIMG_1423.JPG
And some side way silders to enlarge the bed
IMG_1455.JPGIMG_1454.JPGIMG_1453.JPGIMG_1457.JPG
Actually thisone looked nice inside , specially the worktop

Forgot to mention that VW had a goodiebag , but only a oldschool keyring and and fridgemagnet in it .
The linnen bag is usefull doh

IMG_1469.JPG

Back