Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Volkswagen Boo Boo with gas hob !!!!!!!!!

Little owl1963

Little owl1963

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I suspect Volkswagen dropped a major boo boo with double burner gas hob , on my California ocean T6.1 , the model number in manual is dometic MO9122 .
Do not have this model if you want cook anything out of a tin in saucepan , it will boil it dry in very short time even on lowest gas setting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MAJOR PROBLEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upon calling DOMETIC im advised there are 3 burner sizes
auxiliary 47mm diameter for simmer
semi rapid 62mm
Rapid 77mm

The California comes with 2 x identical semi rapid 62 mm burners with butane gas , way too powerful even on low heat , impossible to heat saucepan of baked beans without them being boiled to death on lowest setting .

Im also advised by Domestic most there hobs for campervans / caravans / motor homes come with 2 size burners , 1 x medium and 1 x small or simmer .

I would advise anyone considering to buy a cali to bear this in mind , and anyone who has brought one to email Volkswagen to either put this right or recall all vans to be rectified .

After all what's point spending £65,000 plus only to find out you cant even , use a saucepan with something out tin , without it being boiled death on a low simmer setting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The cooker should have been supplied with 1 x medium burner and 1 x small simmer burner to use with saucepan .

I have emailed both Volkswagen and dome tic today to see , if can rectify this issue , by fitting either a smaller simmer burner , or possibly

a smaller injector .

Not very happy at all , i can not simmer tinned food slowly an gently for 7 mins on low heat as per instructions on tin , only bring it to an instant boil destroying the taste an goodness in food .

I urge anyone same problem contact Volkswagen , who designs there products i will never no ????????????????

I suspect Volkswagen dropped a major boo boo with double burner gas hob , on my California ocean T6.1 , the model number in manual is dometic MO9122 .
Do not have this model if you want cook anything out of a tin in saucepan , it will boil it dry in very short time even on lowest gas setting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MAJOR PROBLEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upon calling DOMETIC im advised there are 3 burner sizes
auxiliary 47mm diameter for simmer
semi rapid 62mm
Rapid 77mm

The California comes with 2 x identical semi rapid 62 mm burners with butane gas , way too powerful even on low heat , impossible to heat saucepan of baked beans without them being boiled to death on lowest setting .

Im also advised by Domestic most there hobs for campervans / caravans / motor homes come with 2 size burners , 1 x medium and 1 x small or simmer .

I would advise anyone considering to buy a cali to bear this in mind , and anyone who has brought one to email Volkswagen to either put this right or recall all vans to be rectified .

After all what's point spending £65,000 plus only to find out you cant even , use a saucepan with something out tin , without it being boiled death on a low simmer setting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The cooker should have been supplied with 1 x medium burner and 1 x small simmer burner to use with saucepan .

I have emailed both Volkswagen and dome tic today to see , if can rectify this issue , by fitting either a smaller simmer burner , or possibly

a smaller injector .

Not very happy at all , i can not simmer tinned food slowly an gently for 7 mins on low heat as per instructions on tin , only bring it to an instant boil destroying the taste an goodness in food .

I urge anyone same problem contact Volkswagen , who designs there products i will never no ????????????????
Know it doesn't solve your problem but you could use one of those hob diffuser plates in the short term that should work as a stop gap until you get it sorted.

I thought both burners were the same.ive burnt my beans too.

Can't believe I'm even replying to this, but the instead of turning anticlockwise to minimum, turn clockwise to Max, the turn very slowly past that towards off and you can get a much smaller flame. Takes a bit of trial and error, but more likely to work than asking VW to recall all Californias.

Can't believe I'm even replying to this, but the instead of turning anticlockwise to minimum, turn clockwise to Max, the turn very slowly past that towards off and you can get a much smaller flame. Takes a bit of trial and error, but more likely to work than asking VW to recall all Californias.
There's nothing wrong with the hobs

OK good answer if works ???
Firstly no sight mark at the point your referring too ?? So presume not meant work that way ?
Only 3 sight marks , an even those hard to see ? First off , then turn Anti to high 3 clock position , then further anti to low at 5 clock .
Off position is midnight .
So there should be another sight mark for simmer at just past midnight towards 1 am ??.
More importantly

No mark, just turn v slowly past the Max stop point towards off. Takes a bit of trial and error but works.

OK good answer if works ???
Firstly no sight mark at the point your referring too ?? So presume not meant work that way ?
Only 3 sight marks , an even those hard to see ? First off , then turn Anti to high 3 clock position , then further anti to low at 5 clock .
Off position is midnight .
So there should be another sight mark for simmer at just past midnight towards 1 am ??.
More importantly
More importantly flying banna , what we want no is at the setting your referring too , can you put saucepan on with Tin of beans or any canned food , and actually simmer gently for 5 mins without boiling them.
That's important answer want no ????

More importantly flying banna , what we want no is at the setting your referring too , can you put saucepan on with Tin of beans or any canned food , and actually simmer gently for 5 mins without boiling them.
That's important answer want no ????

20240801_202332.jpg

Done loads of cooking in my T6.1 Ocean and it’s true, both burners are are identical and neither can do a slow simmer. You have to stay close to the pan and mix more than what you would need to with a smaller burner to avoid the food sticking and burning.

It sure would have been nice to have had a small and a medium sized burners instead of two medium. But in the grand scheme of things, I wouldn’t describe this as a 45 exclamation marks problem. I mean, it’s camping we’re talking about here.

Until you can force VW into a complete redesign of the hob, could you remove the label from the can of soup, open the lid and place the can in a saucepan of boiling water?
Like a bain marie.
Or put the soup in a small saucepan, inside a bigger saucepan with some water.

Thumbs up brilliant
I knew I was right ,
As a cooker there rubbish
Boiling kettles OK, burning food brilliant at burning an ruining food
Just what you want , when spent 65 k on camper
Well done Volkswagen , take your money, but do they sort problems out an put them right ???
Buyer beware all I can say

Done loads of cooking in my T6.1 Ocean and it’s true, both burners are are identical and neither can do a slow simmer. You have to stay close to the pan and mix more than what you would need to with a smaller burner to avoid the food sticking and burning.

It sure would have been nice to have had a small and a medium sized burners instead of two medium. But in the grand scheme of things, I wouldn’t describe this as a 45 exclamation marks problem. I mean, it’s camping we’re talking about here.
So your happy to pay top whack for camper van , an put up rubbish cooker that ruins your food ???..???

I want volkswagen explain why they produce 65 k campervan.
That can't even simmer simple baked beans in saucepan on ????
Total ludicrous
An would like talk chap from volkswagen this cooker the OK??.??

Back