Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Volkswagen Boo Boo with gas hob !!!!!!!!!

Right we all need to do some testing and report back.

Let’s get some parameters in place.

Beans. Industry standard Heinz (gut feeling says Owl is running Coop spec?)

Pan - small 4” dia. Thin base.

Hob - low setting obvs so press/fully anti clock?

Spoon. Wooden

Temp- Ambient 20deg +/- 5deg

Doors closed, no wind.

Stirring- are we stirring or not stirring?

Time - record time taken to reduce beans to congealed mess or hot and edible?

Discuss.
Gas cylinder full ?

I suspect Volkswagen dropped a major boo boo with double burner gas hob , on my California ocean T6.1 , the model number in manual is dometic MO9122 .
Do not have this model if you want cook anything out of a tin in saucepan , it will boil it dry in very short time even on lowest gas setting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MAJOR PROBLEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upon calling DOMETIC im advised there are 3 burner sizes
auxiliary 47mm diameter for simmer
semi rapid 62mm
Rapid 77mm

The California comes with 2 x identical semi rapid 62 mm burners with butane gas , way too powerful even on low heat , impossible to heat saucepan of baked beans without them being boiled to death on lowest setting .

Im also advised by Domestic most there hobs for campervans / caravans / motor homes come with 2 size burners , 1 x medium and 1 x small or simmer .

I would advise anyone considering to buy a cali to bear this in mind , and anyone who has brought one to email Volkswagen to either put this right or recall all vans to be rectified .

After all what's point spending £65,000 plus only to find out you cant even , use a saucepan with something out tin , without it being boiled death on a low simmer setting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The cooker should have been supplied with 1 x medium burner and 1 x small simmer burner to use with saucepan .

I have emailed both Volkswagen and dome tic today to see , if can rectify this issue , by fitting either a smaller simmer burner , or possibly

a smaller injector .

Not very happy at all , i can not simmer tinned food slowly an gently for 7 mins on low heat as per instructions on tin , only bring it to an instant boil destroying the taste an goodness in food .

I urge anyone same problem contact Volkswagen , who designs there products i will never no ????????????????

Is it possible to replace one of the burners with a small ?

Just learned that a Grand California comes with two different size burners. There has to be some difference, might have something to do with the propper nostalgic California camping experience I am going to learn to love this quirky detail of my Cali.

Another solution is longer prongs on the burner support cradle.
8 mm micro bore , copper tube spacers on the prongs does raise it by inch an half

Another solution is longer prongs on the burner support cradle.
8 mm micro bore , copper tube spacers on the prongs does raise it by inch an half
In my opinion your expectations are irrealistic as are your solutions. Just buy a diffuser, search gas diffuser or heat diffuser on amazon for example. You need something that better spreads the heat , even a smaller burner will not solve your 'problem' the flame will heat the center of the cooking pot and boil your beans as you call it if you don't stirr.
Can't wait to see your next problems : temperature regulation of stand heating, temperature in fridge differs front to back , tire pressure not always the same in 4 tires, speedometer differs from gps, etc..
try to make the best of things as they are learn to live with imperfections that surround you, both technical and human.

Sensible cheap solution: remove one of your offending gas burners and replace with a trangia gas burner unit, it is completely self contained, runs off a butane/propane mix cartridge and is infinitely controllable, or buy a trangia and have three rings, 2 for boiling and 1 for simmering
Would require someone with at least 3 hand’s apparently.

Back