Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Volkswagen Boo Boo with gas hob !!!!!!!!!

Volkswagen at fault here , there specification should have included an auxiliary simmer burner 42mm as required to cook / simmer things slowly on low to medium heat .
Simple as , but they have failed sorry .
Im very meticulous by nature , perfectionist , and any design faults I pick up quickly .

Just shame the powers that be at volkswagen are not like minded
You're a perfectionist? Would never have believed that... :D

I learned long ago if you seek perfection either in yourself or others you'll always be dissapointed. The world doesnt work that way, and neither do the hobs.

Instead, strive to cook the beans better, rather than blaming the tools :D

Perfectionists are renowned for living off tinned crap.

Surely a perfectionist...... wouldn't go camping!

Gentleman, gentleman, I'm bored of this now, all we are doing is stirring the overcooked beans.......let us leave him to his gas hob of many threads.

Volkswagen at fault here , there specification should have included an auxiliary simmer burner 42mm as required to cook / simmer things slowly on low to medium heat .
Simple as , but they have failed sorry .
Im very meticulous by nature , perfectionist , and any design faults I pick up quickly .

Just shame the powers that be at volkswagen are not like minded
I think you are laying yourself wide open to some criticism and banter on this...... I love my van but tbh I think it's far from perfect. There are so many things that VW could de better but at the end of the day we have to make choices and compromises. In this particular case it does sound a bit like you are expecting too much from what is by its very nature a variable performance item that is subject to user interpretation and operation. I do understand how aggrieved you feel but really I would suggest there are worse things in life to worry about. Of course you can take the ultimate option of selling the van and sticking two fingers up to VW but the victory would only be pyrrhic and short lived.

My two pence worth? just stir the bins and enjoy all the other good stuff that is California living :thumb

Have you tried taking up fishing? I understand it to be a very calming pastime.
Almost like meditation, but with a lot less activity.
Top tip.
From my experience, beans can be eaten cold.

Wow, hadn’t really thought much about this before as I always seem to be standing over the hob ‘stirring stuff’ and adjusting settings, whilst ‘ him outdoors’ settles down with a glass of something.
It is fair to say though that VW should indeed be made aware of all improvements that can be made to our Campervans and this seems such a simple one, not given enough thought in the design process. Probably looks like a continued afterthought as the current designs appear to have ‘Only One Burner’ hobs !
2 sliding doors to get in and out of, but only 1 burner hob to cook on ….. I guess it’s just bottles of Bollinger we are intended to pass out !!!!

I often find myself off-grid prepping my Soufflé au Fromage avec Herbes with a bechamel sauce cursing the frankly laughable kitchen facilities in the California.

After hurling my chef’s whites in disgust at the site warden, I console myself with the warm embrace of a 1961 Cheval Blanc whilst I eat my beans straight from the tin.

I always ♥️ have cereal any way before cook breakfast .
Rule that one out as well.
Stand up be counted
Email both volkseagen and dometic as iv done , they not getting away it .
Not for the price they charge !!!!!
Just change the burner then.

On a very practical level, have you considered cooking your beans from raw beans instead of using pre-cooked tinned beans? You have to boil them for a while - it should work perfectly on the California stove and shouldn’t require any mixing. They will also taste a lot better.

Just change the burner then.
WelshGas would this be a simple swap from large to small or is it more complicated?
I would like to have a smaller burner to heat the perculator coffee maker. We have the 2 cup version, but the bottom is to small for the wide flames of the burner. It works as is, but could be more efficiënt.
Tycho

WelshGas would this be a simple swap from large to small or is it more complicated?
I would like to have a smaller burner to heat the perculator coffee maker. We have the 2 cup version, but the bottom is to small for the wide flames of the burner. It works as is, but could be more efficiënt.
Tycho
I've no idea but the company that sells the parts should know. I think it probably would be.

impossible to heat saucepan of baked beans without them being boiled to death on lowest setting .
Have you tried using one of those ridgemonkey things? Apparently you can cook anything perfectly in them!

Thanks for the tip, we have something like that at home. We don't take it with us in the Cali, to much stuff in there allready. Smaller burner would solve the small problem with the coffee maker and create better cooking options. All without a single extra item!
Two size burners is a normal feature on boats btw.
It is not high on the to do list, something for later this year.
Thanks all for the reply
Tycho

Reading through this thread I can’t get Benny Hills chinky character out of my head.
v=Y_7Z5N1tktI&pp=ygUTIGJlbm55IGhpbGwgY29va2luZw%3D%3D

8mm micro bore pipe will raise pan support a bit , also usefull if oil in pan ueven. To put 1 or 2 spacers to level the pan

8mm micro bore pipe will raise pan support a bit , also usefull if oil in pan ueven. To put 1 or 2 spacers to level the pan
Really? Do they make the slightest difference to the heat reaching the pan?
I'm out of this nonsense.

I have ridden a gas gas but prefer a sherco

So why don't you just change the burner?
This is just temp option , I'm looking into putting smaller 42 mm pan hob ring , but think won't make contact with electrode an thermocouple.
Also screw hole would be different .
Out of curiosity, what diameter are both your burner sizes ?? , and are yours butane or propane ?

Back