Volkswagen XL1 diesel hybrid

hirsty

hirsty

Two Seat Beach DSG
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
This was sat on the main showroom floor at JCT600 York yesterday - as they've only made 200 I'd not expected to see one in the flesh, this one is available to sit in & very nice it is too. I didn't ask for a go ...

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/about-us/futures/xl1

795KG all-in. I like the external video camera wing mirrors that show on a little screen in the door.

IMG_3673.JPG IMG_3674.JPG IMG_3675.JPG IMG_3676.JPG IMG_3677.JPG IMG_3683.JPG
IMG_3684.JPG

not my to my taste

When do we see a diesel electric California! That should solve emission issues in cities.

In the flesh it's tiny - the length of a Polo & very low roofline.

Looks to me like a weird cross between a mk7 Golf, the Phaeton front & James Bonds underwater Lotus Esprit ...

That's more like it.
Rather than the current fashionable and over simplistic demands to do away with the dirty diesel car, developing and producing advanced ultra clean diesel hybrids makes much more sense to me. I personally don't see much of a future for pure battery electric vehicles for a number of practical reasons and petrol hybrids are often not that much more economical than pure current model diesel vehicles. So this has to be a good thing.

Mind you, any future production vehicles would have to be a good deal more practical than that vehicle.

The Bluemotion diesel Passat courtesy car they lent me was pretty economical on a 15-mile trip from cold too:

IMG_3670.JPG

For those old enough, it reminded us of this... which is Straker's car from UFO

UFO-ed-strakers-car-yellow.JPG

IMG_0177.JPG IMG_0178.JPG I prefer this one from the Goodwood FoS a couple of years ago. It has a Ducati 1199 Superleggere motorbike engine.

Hmmm - 300mpg from the white one or nigh on 200bhp in the blue one? ... :D

Back