VW assist after year 5

Meoncoast

Meoncoast

an Ocean by the Sea
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Cali coming up to year 5 anyone know the cost of VW assist or recomendations for breakdown cover. (Europe not required) otherwise full cover needed,

Last edited:
I have horizon as part of my comfort insurance policy and that is about £50 extra including European repatriation.

Cali coming up to year 5 anyone know the cost of VW assist or recomendations for breakdown cover. (Europe not required) otherwise full cover needed,

You could give Vw Assist a ring to find out!
Or the AA
Or the RAC

I was looking for recomendations good value and good service (Perhaps VW's owners have no feedback of useing the cover!). Got most of the prices off time except VW assist.

Green flag looking best value and good service in the past

I do believe that green flag provide the CC Red pennant scheme which has had excellent feedback.

I do believe that green flag provide the CC Red pennant scheme which has had excellent feedback.

With this scheme this year ( not used them touch wood) liked the clause will recover if stuck on a flield!

Do you have UK breakdown included with your bank account? Many do nowadays.

Do you have UK breakdown included with your bank account? Many do nowadays.
not thought of that one, no but worldwide health insurance so SAFE TO FLY :talktothehand

Last edited:
With this scheme this year ( not used them touch wood) liked the clause will recover if stuck on a flield!
I've used Green Flag both as a paid for service and free through bank account. Allways found it to be a good service.

Just for interest, a friend of mine has just started working for the AA.
He tells me that VW assist calls take priority over AA calls.
He was off to a car, and told to divert to the VW

Read the small print in the t&c. Nationwide bank excluded motorhomes in theirs.

We're covered by Nationwide on our Flex Plus account (£10 p/m) Definitely includes motorhomes. I know there's a debate about car/motorhome status for a cali but I wanted to be sure so checked it all recently. The screenshot below is taken from their T&Cs. Only restrictions are on length.

Nationwide.jpg

Just for interest, a friend of mine has just started working for the AA.
He tells me that VW assist calls take priority over AA calls.
He was off to a car, and told to divert to the VW
That's interesting and makes sense. I suspect they won a contract to get the business from VW and have response times.

When you call VW Assist now they ask if you want an AA or VW Technician and give you two different timescales however I think the VW techs are only available Monday - Friday.

I was very impressed with VW Assist (AA) when I was stranded in a remote part of Northwest Scotland with two shredded tyres. They kept me constantly updated with progress on getting a recovery vehicle to me, hampered only by the fact I had to walk a mile each time that I needed to return to the vehicle from the nearest point of telephone signal.

We have just reached the end of our warranty and will seriously look into vw assist as we were really impressed with the service. We locked the keys inside the vehicle & they came with a digital key they could program to enable them to unlock the drivers door. Don't think we'd have had this from a generic breakdown company.

I going with VW in the end not the cheapest but not the most expensive. I feel the extra is worth it for the California bits ( example roof stuck up ) As said above.

(£155 for 2 years)

Last edited:
Bit of a thread resurrection here. I received a letter from VW (the AA) advising that my 3 year cover is due to end. I advised them that I actually had 4th year cover that came with the van but their system did not show that. Got onto Eurovans whose documentation I have shows 4th year cover but they have now stated it does not. This is obviously an ongoing discussion.

Anyway, getting to the real question, what have other members done once VW Assist has run out? VW (AA) are offering it at £120pa. AA website is £220 but not sure that covers Europe. Comfort Insurance add-on at renewal policy time is £83 and covers everything you'd want in the UK and Europe.

Bit of a thread resurrection here. I received a letter from VW (the AA) advising that my 3 year cover is due to end. I advised them that I actually had 4th year cover that came with the van but their system did not show that. Got onto Eurovans whose documentation I have shows 4th year cover but they have now stated it does not. This is obviously an ongoing discussion.

Anyway, getting to the real question, what have other members done once VW Assist has run out? VW (AA) are offering it at £120pa. AA website is £220 but not sure that covers Europe. Comfort Insurance add-on at renewal policy time is £83 and covers everything you'd want in the UK and Europe.
VW Assistance can do a lot more at the roadside and also have priority access to the Dealership network.

VW Assistance can do a lot more at the roadside and also have priority access to the Dealership network.
Interesting. The AA lady I spoke to didn’t realise that my vehicle was a campervan and initially quoted me for a car. Losing a bit of faith with their systems.

Read the small print in the t&c. Nationwide bank excluded motorhomes in theirs.
I read the small print and am happy that I’m ok. I’d be interested to see the t&c you refer to.

The All-In package comes with 2 years roadside assistance, if that’s something you are considering.

Interesting. The AA lady I spoke to didn’t realise that my vehicle was a campervan and initially quoted me for a car. Losing a bit of faith with their systems.
Which number did you call? This is from the VW Commercial page, not the Car.

Screenshot_20231007_121052_Chrome.jpg

The All-In package comes with 2 years roadside assistance, if that’s something you are considering.
I would but I already have a Service Plan.

Back