Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 194 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.4%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.4%

• Total voters
I have just heard from my dealer that the long awaited repair to my roof and front panel is to be done by Sinclair Bodyshop Swansea. When I last enquired it was down to go to Poole Accident Repair. Has anyone had their roof repair done by Sinclair's Swansea Bodyshop or had any experience of using them for other repairs.
We have had some insurance work done by the smaller bodyshop at Bridgend and found them to be fine but have no experience of the Swansea bodyshop or heard of them being used for the roof repair.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I have just heard from my dealer that the long awaited repair to my roof and front panel is to be done by Sinclair Bodyshop Swansea. When I last enquired it was down to go to Poole Accident Repair. Has anyone had their roof repair done by Sinclair's Swansea Bodyshop or had any experience of using them for other repairs.
We have had some insurance work done by the smaller bodyshop at Bridgend and found them to be fine but have no experience of the Swansea bodyshop or heard of them being used for the roof repair.

Hi I live in the Swansea Valley and mine went in for the roof repair yesterday. But I had to to take it to Sinclair in Cardiff - they were then transferring it to a body shop. I was not offered the Swansea option but this has been booked into Cardiff since last November. I did turn up and no one knew anything about it! Ended up leaving it there and had aT6 panel van to get home. Will ring tomorrow to see what's happening!

Mine was due in on the 18th September in Twickenham, but I had a call this week saying it needed to be put back 2 weeks due to a lack of parts (basically the GRP cover for the front panel). Now schedued for 30th September....

Hi I live in the Swansea Valley and mine went in for the roof repair yesterday. But I had to to take it to Sinclair in Cardiff - they were then transferring it to a body shop. I was not offered the Swansea option but this has been booked into Cardiff since last November. I did turn up and no one knew anything about it! Ended up leaving it there and had aT6 panel van to get home. Will ring tomorrow to see what's happening!
They have now taken it to Swansea bodyshop for repair and I can pick it up there.

Pob hwyl! Good luck!
Did they say how long it would take?
Let us know how it goes.

Pob hwyl! Good luck!
Did they say how long it would take?
Let us know how it goes.

Hi. Sinclair told me they used to use Poole but now use their own bodyshop in Swansea. I've been promised it back in 2/3 weeks in perfect condition. They've given me a T6 Combi as a loan vehicle whilst it's being done. I'll keep you informed wyn.
P

looks like I am in the queue behind you .... August in Newbury after a Bristol shop pulled out ..... anyone been there ?

looks like I am in the queue behind you .... August in Newbury after a Bristol shop pulled out ..... anyone been there ?
Unfortunately yes- see my post above dated 25 August. VWCV are involved. Due to a cancellation it has been booked back into Marshalls for 13 November. I'll let you know how I get on this time!

Thanks !!!! please do keep us up to date ...... ..... maybe a whole year will give them time to get it right ..... or not .....

Hi. Sinclair told me they used to use Poole but now use their own bodyshop in Swansea. I've been promised it back in 2/3 weeks in perfect condition. They've given me a T6 Combi as a loan vehicle whilst it's being done. I'll keep you informed wyn.
P
Now told it will be with me at the end of next week - meaning 4 weeks all told. Didn't really get much sense regarding why or the process, just that drying times between coats takes longer???
As long as I have it back spotless and fixed next week I'll be happy.

Reactions: DGM
Dropped mine into VW Cordwallis at Heathrow today, was told that it will be reinspected especially as VW has found further corrosion on the inside strengthening bracket on the underside of the roof. They have been very good so far at Cordwallis, its likely to be about 3 weeks and I have a LWB T6 Van for the duration (thinking of doing a few removals jobs in the meantime ;)). All in all good knowledgeable and friendly staff, despite they are definately not a Lifestyle dealer, you are mixing it with trucks rather than cars.

Hi All,
I received a call on 29th September from a firm called Claridges telling me they were ringing to book my Cali in for a repair. At first I was suspicious that this was a scam call. I had reported the corrosion to my roof over 2 years ago and having heard nothing from VW since had totally forgotten about it.. They told me that the appointment was for 10th January 2018 and that I would have take my Cali to my nearest dealer and leave it there. I have since looked Claridges up and they are a body repair outfit in Southport. A bit more communication from VW would have been great.!

I thought VW collected your Cali on a low loader and left you a loan Cali?

Dropped mine into VW Cordwallis at Heathrow today, was told that it will be reinspected especially as VW has found further corrosion on the inside strengthening bracket on the underside of the roof. They have been very good so far at Cordwallis, its likely to be about 3 weeks and I have a LWB T6 Van for the duration (thinking of doing a few removals jobs in the meantime ;)). All in all good knowledgeable and friendly staff, despite they are definately not a Lifestyle dealer, you are mixing it with trucks rather than cars.

I had my California's two-year service and a warranty repair to the roof hydraulics at Cordwallis at Heathrow. It's a VW Commercial and MAN truck dealership, I also thought their service good.

I thought VW collected your Cali on a low loader and left you a loan Cali?
I don't think that's common practice any more. I had to deliver mine to Southampton so that it could be transported by the AA to Newbury. I was offered various replacement vehicles but there was no chance of a Cali. I could have had a T5 but opted for a Caddy van.

Hi I have a 6 yr old vw California se which I've had since new . Last few months I have noticed the roof is starting to bubble in rust and the tracks to hold the awning are all being brittle and infant the front passenger side and rear driver side have broken off . The front passenger side was stuck on with what looks like aradite. Took the vw dealership in inverness and they took pictures and said they knew of a rust problem on the roof . Now they are saying because it's 6 yrs old it's my problem and not vw . Has anyone else had this problem . You would think when the garage had said it was a known issue that vw would stand by their garage , but no garage is being left to tell me no .

Not sure about your vehicle, but use the search facility, top right of page. Type in "roof corrosion" you will see how much of a problem this has and still is,

Hi I have a 6 yr old vw California se which I've had since new . Last few months I have noticed the roof is starting to bubble in rust and the tracks to hold the awning are all being brittle and infant the front passenger side and rear driver side have broken off . The front passenger side was stuck on with what looks like aradite. Took the vw dealership in inverness and they took pictures and said they knew of a rust problem on the roof . Now they are saying because it's 6 yrs old it's my problem and not vw . Has anyone else had this problem . You would think when the garage had said it was a known issue that vw would stand by their garage , but no garage is being left to tell me no .
VW extended the 3 year warranty to 6 years from 1st registration for specified Galvanic Corrosion on the Front Panel above the windscreen and the edges of the Elevating Roof Panel under the Edge Seal.
From your description you seem to have something different.
The Awning rails are glued on. That is normal.

Now told it will be with me at the end of next week - meaning 4 weeks all told. Didn't really get much sense regarding why or the process, just that drying times between coats takes longer???
As long as I have it back spotless and fixed next week I'll be happy.
The Cali is back with me. Returned on Friday - 4 weeks to complete. Job looks good. I will give it a good look over today. Upper bed very dusty but the van has been cleaned.
Communication hasn't been brilliant - it has been me chasing up rather than Sinclair keeping me updated.

Out of interest do they take the roof off or (as I believe) work on it in the open position?

P

The Cali is back with me. Returned on Friday - 4 weeks to complete. Job looks good. I will give it a good look over today. Upper bed very dusty but the van has been cleaned.
Communication hasn't been brilliant - it has been me chasing up rather than Sinclair keeping me updated.

Out of interest do they take the roof off or (as I believe) work on it in the open position?

P
Azteccamper: Glad to hear that you have had your van back and that you are pleased with the work done. As far as I understand from other posts yhe work is completed with the roof raised in situ.
Has your roof canvas been replaced? If not is there any sign of paint overspray on the canvas?

My van was dropped off at Cardiff Van Centre on Monday. I have been loaned a 17 plate Kombi van with DSG for the duration of the work. As I have limited experience of driving automatics it will give me a good opportunity of deciding whether to go for a DSG in the future.

VW extended the 3 year warranty to 6 years from 1st registration for specified Galvanic Corrosion on the Front Panel above the windscreen and the edges of the Elevating Roof Panel under the Edge Seal.
From your description you seem to have something different.
The Awning rails are glued on. That is normal.

They only extended to six years from about 2011/12, I have been fighting VW to have mine repaired (front panel G/corrosion) but they won't repair it as it was too old when they introduced the ext. @SusiBus spent a great deal of time and effort on behalf of the forum to get vehicles repaired, alas not mine.

Azteccamper: Glad to hear that you have had your van back and that you are pleased with the work done. As far as I understand from other posts yhe work is completed with the roof raised in situ.
Has your roof canvas been replaced? If not is there any sign of paint overspray on the canvas?

My van was dropped off at Cardiff Van Centre on Monday. I have been loaned a 17 plate Kombi van with DSG for the duration of the work. As I have limited experience of driving automatics it will give me a good opportunity of deciding whether to go for a DSG in the future.

Wyn
My canvas has not been replaced and whilst there is no overspray there was quite a bit of dust in the upper bed area so I'm assuming all work done as you suggest.
As I said it took just short of 4 weeks. Cardiff originally loaned me a DSG panel van (great auto I must say) which I signed the paperwork for when I dropped my Cali off on the Saturday. On the Monday they swopped it for a manual combi. I was impressed with combi but the DSG was lovely to drive with, but I really like the combi as an alternative to an estate.
Good luck with your Cali - if it's done in Swansea I'm sure it will be fine.

Back