Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 193 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 79 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.6%

• Total voters
The original agreement was to offer a loan California and heritage had a fleet of them supplied by VW.
I don’t know as it’s a few years if Sinclair are approved or if VW are trying to reduce back log and asking dealers to assess what needs doing .
The original fix I was told was costing vw 5k per van. Maybe they are trying to save a little.

Hi

I've been in the queue for a corrosion fix for 2 years and therefore checked in with Paul at Trafford who has informed me that I'm in the queue for Grimsby who are stopping and reassigning people. So now waiting to be reassigned and can expect another 11 month wait. Can't fault Paul but very disappointed. Others may want to check their queue status.

Thanks

Hi Blueeyedboy. Thanks for the info. I'm in at Sinclair Cardiff later today and hope to speak to Matt - who I've been told is the service manager. I think they are planning to send it to Swansea VW dealer, so hope it's a proper replacement, not a patch up job. I'm also not happy with the offer of just a loan vehicle and will try and get a California. I believe that was the original agreement. Thanks for the good luck wishes - will let you know how it goes
Hi Blueeyedboy. Thanks for the info. I'm in at Sinclair Cardiff later today and hope to speak to Matt - who I've been told is the service manager. I think they are planning to send it to Swansea VW dealer, so hope it's a proper replacement, not a patch up job. I'm also not happy with the offer of just a loan vehicle and will try and get a California. I believe that was the original agreement. Thanks for the good luck wishes - will let you know how it goes
Well, at least Cali passed the MOT :) Couldn't get to see the service manager, but was told that he had no recollection of a conversation with the lady who books the service/MOTs etc. despite her assuring me that she'd spoken to him. When I collected Cali I was told that photos had been taken and would be sent to VW. Asked when I could expect a response, but no-one could tell me. Not happy with response - I'm trying to make plans for taking Cali out of the country in the next month or so - but no point in blaming the messenger, so I'll reserve judgement and give them a few weeks before chasing it up again. They also re-stated that they would only supply a courtesy car (probably a Caddy) not a VW California. I explained that the deal was always that you had a replacement Cali (I was told the fix would take 3-4 weeks!!!, but I use the Cali most weeks). The said that the previous workshop might have supplied a California, but now they have to supply the loan vehicles and don't have any Calis. I explained that it wasn't my fault that they had taken so long to deal with this, but although they were sympathetic all they could suggest was that I contact VW. Disappointing visit - just expecting more delay and frustration, but hope I'm wrong.

When VW set the roof repair up back in 2014, there were only 4 companies with factory trained techs approved to do it and each body-shop had 2 Calis supplied as loan vehicles.

Most folk wanted a loan Cali and so, due to availability, the back log crept up.

My van was assigned to Heritage VW in Westbury and when I phoned them to asked were in the list I was, I was a long way down the it. I then said I didn't need a loan van, and suddenly the response was 'great, when can we have the van?'

It was collected the next day and returned a week later.

So my advise would be, you can get the work done much quicker if you don't need a loan vehicle.

Having said all of that, I know the system has changed with more body-shops able to do the work, and suspect that Cali loan vehicles are now much rarer.

Alan

When VW set the roof repair up back in 2014, there were only 4 companies with factory trained techs approved to do it and each body-shop had 2 Calis supplied as loan vehicles.

Most folk wanted a loan Cali and so, due to availability, the back log crept up.

My van was assigned to Heritage VW in Westbury and when I phoned them to asked were in the list I was, I was a long way down the it. I then said I didn't need a loan van, and suddenly the response was 'great, when can we have the van?'

It was collected the next day and returned a week later.

So my advise would be, you can get the work done much quicker if you don't need a loan vehicle.

Having said all of that, I know the system has changed with more body-shops able to do the work, and suspect that Cali loan vehicles are now much rarer.

Alan
Thanks Alan, That's good to know. Perhaps that's why they've started to work down through the waiting list. Cali's probably as rare as hen's teeth :). I'm heading off to Europe in April and will be using Cali through the summer and into the autumn, so I'm thinking that I'll probably have to wait until November. However, your van was returned in 1 week - I'm sure I could fit that in during the next few months, however, my heart sank when they quoted 3-4 weeks. I'm told it will go to Swansea, so just hope their guys are up to scratch.

Try and see if you can get it into VW Westbury as they are one of the 4 centres set up for this by VW.
I’m sure you can have some say in this. Also find out exactly what they are planning on repairing, replacing before letting your vehicle go.
They are just a garage and have no value of your hard earned money. Be happy

Try and see if you can get it into VW Westbury as they are one of the 4 centres set up for this by VW.
I’m sure you can have some say in this. Also find out exactly what they are planning on repairing, replacing before letting your vehicle go.
That's a good call - I'll see what Sinclair come back with in the next few weeks and in the meantime might give Westbury a call to get their take on it . Thanks for the tip ... and still very happy with Cali despite these frustrations :)

The chap in charge at heritage when I had mine sorted was Darren Hearley if he’s still there and cracked under the pressure. I found hime to be extremely helpful and they can tell you exactly what the current process, fix is.
You may even get a Loan California.
Keep us posted.
If your local and fancy meeting up for a brew kettles always on!

Has anyone else had a recall for applying tape which was only to the corners of the main roof of the front cab, not the tape that is applied to all the edges of the elevating roof under the rubber seal? Apparently I am advised, it is to prevent wear where the front corners of the elevating part come down onto the main roof. My van has already had the corrosion issue on the edges of the elevating part treated and been resprayed under warranty and the rubber seal bonded on. Additionally, and this was not a warranty repair, I subsequently had a corrosion/flaking paint issue on the corners of the subframe on the elevating roof and got VW to treat and respray the roof corners, underside and the scissors mechanism. The tape in question is just a couple of transparent strips about 6 inches long.

We have to have the roof recall done. Anxious about quality. Would anyone recommend their repairer and if so please can I have contact details. Thanks.

WBC Automotive Ltd. in Bristol totally f.....d up our van in Aug 17 (they went into liquidation). It was shunted over to VW Heritage to complete and they weren’t much better. Six months hanging around and not a nice experience. Then van off road because of loose capping from June 17. Finally after writing to HQ in Germany, as we were just getting nowhere with UK customer services, Claridges in Southport were instructed and in Jan 19 took possession of the van. After them assessing the work required and getting approval from above they have put right everything. I know what bad looks like and we are happy with the repairs carried out (too long to list). I’m an ex engineer and a right fuss arse! I’d be happy to recommend Claridges (we live just outside Exeter). Claridges were very professional about the whole process. So VW finally sorted everything out, it was just a shame that I had to involve HQ before things were taken seriously. £10k in costs for VW to get the Cali back to an acceptable roadworthy and cosmetic condition and it now has a three year workmanship warranty.
We were teetering on selling, but now we’ve seen the quality of the repair we are very happy to stick with the van. We’ve owned the van 25 months and it’s been in VW’s care (in bodyshops or unsafe to drive because of loose capping) for 14 months of that; pretty crap eh!
I haven’t posted on this thread for a while because you wouldn’t believe the experience we’ve had. We really have been quite annoyed and stressed by the whole episode. So yes, Claridges have my vote although time will be my witness.

Last edited:
Thanks Alan, That's good to know. Perhaps that's why they've started to work down through the waiting list. Cali's probably as rare as hen's teeth :). I'm heading off to Europe in April and will be using Cali through the summer and into the autumn, so I'm thinking that I'll probably have to wait until November. However, your van was returned in 1 week - I'm sure I could fit that in during the next few months, however, my heart sank when they quoted 3-4 weeks. I'm told it will go to Swansea, so just hope their guys are up to scratch.
Hi DelB53, I'm living in Luxembourg so I don't understand when you say you'll head off to Europe in April, even after the Brexit UK will still be part Geographicaly of Europe, won't it?

I agree with you Visio 3000 while I understand. Some in the Nordic countries also go down to Europe even though the Nordic countries are in Europe. Perhaps it is better to say go down to the continent or up to Scandinavia. If you have to distinguish yourself.

Hi DelB53, I'm living in Luxembourg so I don't understand when you say you'll head off to Europe in April, even after the Brexit UK will still be part Geographicaly of Europe, won't it?
Hi Visio3000 - Sorry for that - I should have said mainland Europe. I'm still hoping for a miracle and that we remain members of the EU as well as geographically part of Europe :thumb

My van was returned after a little over a week, they repaired the start of corrosion and applied a foil tape to prevent future corrosion. Because we had a cold snap here it was held back a couple of days to allow the glue to properly cure. Very happy with the comms from Coventry Listers, Jacob and Katie were a star.

Yet to inspect the work closely but will do so at the weekend. I have noticed a little difference in colour close to the seal and need to take a closer look.

Heritage VW changed the Westbury body shop operation to just covering Pre-Delivery Inspections a couple of years ago and so dropped off the Cali repair listing. Think this was about the time VW Germany changed the repair process and VWUK increased the number of companies able to do the official repair.

Since then the bodyshop side of Heritage VW has been sold on to MG Cannon.

I had some accident damage repaired by them last year and was pleased with the result, but I don't think they are listed for the roof repair.

Alan

The chap in charge at heritage when I had mine sorted was Darren Hearley if he’s still there and cracked under the pressure. I found hime to be extremely helpful and they can tell you exactly what the current process, fix is.
You may even get a Loan California.
Keep us posted.
If your local and fancy meeting up for a brew kettles always on!
Thanks for that info - it's on my to do list. We have a pretty busy schedule (again) this year and will be out of the country for much of this (following warmer weather), but if we are able to get out and about in the UK, your offer of a cuppa would be most welcome. I'll let you know how this issue progresses.

Hi Visio3000 - Sorry for that - I should have said mainland Europe. I'm still hoping for a miracle and that we remain members of the EU as well as geographically part of Europe :thumb
DelB53, I also do hope UK will remain part of EU, it is far of being the "panacé" but all together we can make it better, and I do love the Brits, really so.

I agree with you Visio 3000 while I understand. Some in the Nordic countries also go down to Europe even though the Nordic countries are in Europe. Perhaps it is better to say go down to the continent or up to Scandinavia. If you have to distinguish yourself.
Hi Palm, thanks for your reply. One can say going to the Continent, would that be acceptable. But the most important is that we continue to share the same pleasure of living in a Cali, as often as we can. Take care.

B931EEF5-29AD-45A9-A66B-CF43D5DBEC6D.jpeg

Anyone looking for a solar power solution will no doubt have looked at what Roger at www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk has to offer. If you haven’t then I’d recommend it.

In the winter I have a Thule Motion XT Alpine roof box fitted. There isn’t enough room for a solar panel and a roof box so I decided to go for a single 120 watt panel that could be mounted either directly to the roof rails or to the top of the roof box and changed without fuss.

0BAB8F15-0AF2-4A11-97F1-538F27D098DD.jpeg

The panel is set up to simply attach to the roof rails with 4 x M6 bolts and locking nuts. Matching attachment points, with 4 M6 bolts and large washers on both sides of the plastic roof box, sealed with silicone were made. This provides permamnent watertight mounting points to the top of the box, without affecting its integrity.

B9446D58-35B3-44C3-BF3E-AA7F7CFA5C12.jpeg 0DC1ED75-27D8-4C95-BB19-057D5D686C25.jpeg

You might want to consider this though. When I told Roger of my plan to fit the panel in an unconventional way to the roof box like this he said it would void the warranty. One of his concerns was the leading edge potentially being vulnerable. To reduce this, a small plastic spoiler has been made to help protect it.

D3C72F47-29AD-4504-A998-49A1BD499C17.jpeg

I’ll add some additional photos of the fitting below.

Hello chaps.

Just took my 2014 Manual 140 SE in for a complimentary health check with VW Heritage in Bristol.

When booking it in, I was advised about a recall underway to check roof corrosion. Although I’ve never noticed any, I was told that some was discovered as that I would be contacted by VW directly in the next 6 months to discuss further action.

I’ve had a good look and can’t see any serious damage, but perhaps I’m missing something.

Does anyone know what action they are likely to take? Is it a fix or a complete roof replacement?

Anyone had a recall and similar result recently?

Many thanks

TTP Bristol

Hello chaps.

Just took my 2014 Manual 140 SE in for a complimentary health check with VW Heritage in Bristol.

When booking it in, I was advised about a recall underway to check roof corrosion. Although I’ve never noticed any, I was told that some was discovered as that I would be contacted by VW directly in the next 6 months to discuss further action.

I’ve had a good look and can’t see any serious damage, but perhaps I’m missing something.

Does anyone know what action they are likely to take? Is it a fix or a complete roof replacement?

Anyone had a recall and similar result recently?

Many thanks

TTP Bristol
Mine checked and corrosion found .... awaiting VW to contact me. Dealer reckons it will be a long wait!

Thanks for the reply - yes dealer said could be up to six months.

Did they give any indication of what work would ultimately be required to fix the issue?

Thanks

TTP

Back