Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 194 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.3%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 248 47.5%

• Total voters
Stu said:
Removing the front section involves removing the roof. Removal of the roof means replacing the bellows.
It's strange that VW want to do my main roof separate to the front panel. Sounds like I need two bellows. I can't seem to get them to see reason.

VW have approved the repaint of the rising roof on our 2009 SE (We don't have any problems on the front roof.)
Apparently there is at the moment a discussion going on between the dealer and VW as to the allowed cost for the repair. The dealer's paint shop apparently don't think VW have allowed enough to cover the work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There are almost a 1000 posts on this problem to date. Has anyone had a hole, ie: an actual perforating hole through the aluminium panel that would affect the structural integrity of the elevating roof or front roof panel. Pictures would be good.
The reason I ask is I have owned Land Rover Defenders for a number of years. These are prone to aluminium galvanic corrosion but I have yet to see structural destruction or weakening of an aluminium alloy panel. Surrounding steel work and the steel chassis members - a totally different story and that is proper, destructive, corrosion.
My California is built and I will pick up in December. I will check for the corrosion prior to 3 years, or if I see it in writing from VW prior to 6 years and if present they will repair and if it comes back then the local body shop can repair thereafter if I cannot manage it myself.

What will really make a difference, well it does on Defenders, ACF50 spray under the rubber/metal roof seal to displace the water that must be present to facilitate the corrosion between the steel and aluminium roof. :smile

If your in the 6+ Cali Club , these are our options
1) Can't Sell it
2) Don't know when parts will be available from VW (warranty Calis first)
3) When parts become available, is it going to be a viable proposition to spend £5k on what will be, when you get the parts a 10+year Cali

WelshGas said:
There are almost a 1000 posts on this problem to date. Has anyone had a hole, ie: an actual perforating hole through the aluminium panel that would affect the structural integrity of the elevating roof or front roof panel. Pictures would be good.
The reason I ask is I have owned Land Rover Defenders for a number of years. These are prone to aluminium galvanic corrosion but I have yet to see structural destruction or weakening of an aluminium alloy panel. Surrounding steel work and the steel chassis members - a totally different story and that is proper, destructive, corrosion.
My California is built and I will pick up in December. I will check for the corrosion prior to 3 years, or if I see it in writing from VW prior to 6 years and if present they will repair and if it comes back then the local body shop can repair thereafter if I cannot manage it myself.

What will really make a difference, well it does on Defenders, ACF50 spray under the rubber/metal roof seal to displace the water that must be present to facilitate the corrosion between the steel and aluminium roof. :smile

Now i was repairing an electric cooker for someone on thursday, and explained about the corrosion on my cali front panel, and he gave me some ACF50, evidently is was produced for spraying usaf carrier based jets to stop corrosion, i hope it works on my cali after i have appealed to vw to repair it.

john

Just googled ACF50 quite intresting results :thumb

Meoncoast said:

It has gone very quite for members with cali's that are 6+ years old. Hello is anything being done or pressure applied as i am beginning to feel isolated. It is a club for all cali owners, isn't it? :help

John

I feel the same being in the 6+ club, treading water and feeling nowhere to go or what to do next :((

Graham has a meeting planned with VW UK soon and it is a topic for discussion.

BUT - Guy's you have quite a lot at stake here so if you feel you need to take some action then go for it. All we would ask/suggest is (assuming you wish too) keep us informed so that we can keep all of those concerned in touch with each other and if necessary keep on the case with VW.

Everyone who is in the 6+ club is on a CC email list so you should all have each others contact details by now, we will of course keep you updated if we hear anything from VW.

If you want to be added to this email list just let us know.

:help Please could anyone with a California with a build date after March 2013, especially any 2014 ones, that has roof corrosion which has been reported to VW, send me a PM with your details including your registration number to assist me with our talks with VW.

Cheers Graham. :thanks

Meoncoast said:

I used ACF50 for my bikes when I ran them in winter and whereas it did seem to help protect from alloy corrosion it foes however collect dirt if exposed to the elements and looks permanently grubby. Under a rubber seal it would be invisible of course and might help .
This really shouldn't be necessary though ..... but that's obvious.

I am booked in for the repair to the front roof section and have just done a more thorough check of the main elevating section. I have corrosion on both. :oops:
I am now attempting to get the elevating roof registered to get both parts of the roof done at the same time.

If anybody has not done, check under the rubber seal of the main roof!!!!!!

I will post updates.

I asked if we could go to France in the loan Cali and was told we could. That differs from the advice on page 1 of this thread.

Shorade will confirm I'm sure.

A

Nottledim said:
I asked if we could go to France in the loan Cali and was told we could. That differs from the advice on page 1 of this thread.

Shorade will confirm I'm sure.

A

We were advised by the 3 rd party insurance company that it did not include EU cover. Best to check with them directly.

Disappointing news - just spoke to shorade who are doing our cali.

not only have we gone from 17th to 19th and now 21st in the queue, they have now told me they are only doing 2 per month!

even at 21st on the list that 10 months!!!!!!!!!!!!

what about the guy who is 176 th - my estimate is over 7 years !

some calis may well be scrappers by then

I am thinking of contacting customer service - does anyone have a name?

I know there is work behind the scenes but do you think it would help if we all start writing.

:headbang

This is :censor ridiculous

I am certainly up for us all writing in, I spoke to them again on Tuesday to see if there was a mistake and they assured me of my place in the queue which they said is growing by around 5 each day.

Also parts are still on back order

I'm not even in a queue yet.

Latest from VWCS today was repeat confirmation that repairs are authorised but I have not been assigned to a body shop.

I have a feeling that they are being done by colour, and the paint comes in big pots.

rob

Hi

We have a 2014 registered California and have not been checking we thought this only applied to older vehicles. At the weekend when washing the van we were cleaning the rubber around around the main roof and found very small blisters.

We will be taking the van to the dealer on Monday next week ( I have had to take a morning off work as they are closed at weekends)

Where on earther will I be in the queue?

This van is only 4 months old !!!! Should I reject it?

I really advide everyone to check their roofs even if your California is brand new

4 months and corrosion :eek: and on a bus that's supposed to no longer have the problem built in....
is this a record?????

sue.h said:
I know there is work behind the scenes but do you think it would help if we all start writing.

:headbang

Of course, you should do whatever you feel is best. If you think the wait is unacceptable you should tell them.

Have I got this wrong or are people getting confused?

Corrosion on Front Panel - VW have identified the problem and have a fix in place both for existing Cali's and on the production line (issue exists for owners with Cali's over 6 years old not being covered)

Corrosion on the Main Elevating Roof - VW have not accepted this as a fault at this point and no documented resolution from VW is in place (bodyshop have spoken about zinc content in the paint and fitting a new seal).

I would be nervous about having the main roof repair until VW have identified the root cause and remedial action...

You are correct Mark.

At this time it seems unlikely that VW will accept anything more than a paint defect on the elevating roof section. If having the front panel done I think it makes sense to do the elevating section too.

Mark,

Your summary sounds good for the front roof. Note between March 2013 and late 2013/early 2014 (depending on who you ask) the production line was using a new front gasket (the initial fix) but the metallurgy of the front panel (the real root cause) had yet to be changed.

For the main roof, VW have now extended the warranty to 6 years, as per the front roof. Which gives some peace of mind.

I currently have the same concerns about the main roof repair having previously held off joining the front roof 'queue' until the problem had been formally acknowledged by VW for fear of a bodge job. However, the best time for the main roof to be done is with the front roof, so being 13th in the queue at my allocated body shop, I thought it prudent to get the main roof fault logged with VW at this point (Note to self - Not had confirmation of the main roof or the tailgate handle paint faults having been accepted yet). Logging the faults will also allow VW to see the true scale of the issue.

Mind you, at the current repair rate (approximately none), there is plenty of time for VW to formalize a repair procedure prior to my vehicle receiving remedial action.....

Simon