Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 193 37.3%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 78 15.1%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.7%

• Total voters
Booked my 2013 Cali in for a service with VW Birmingham and was told there was a recall on it for corrosion ?. Goes in on Friday, let you know where they are looking

Listers just phoned to say cali going in 3rd Sept for roof
BUT all they can loan is a Caddy or Kombi whilst it's gone (to Scotland!!!!)
Told them NOT acceptable...I need a replacement Cali ...we shall see what happens now...they are going back to VW
no way I am going to Busfest in a Caddy:mad:

I too took my 2015 in for a service, they told me about the recall. They took the rubber seal off and found some very small amounts of blistering, then only half replaced seal, literally it was just dangling there, I was furious, when I called them to report it, I was told the mechanic was very apologetic. How can you not put back what you take off?

I've also just taken my 2012 California Beach into the Bristol Heritage approved dealer to see what can be done about the corrosion and and they were extremely helpful and said it will be covered under the recall warranty. I was told to expect up to a 2 year wait but i'm glad its covered.

Update
now confirmed for 3rd Sept but going up to Scotland for the job!!!!
And though initially a VW Customer Service person unhelpful, it went up the chain and I will be getting a replacement loan - so we can go to busfest in a bus yayyy!!!!

I had the front panel of the roof mended in November 2016 and all has been well until lately when I noticed water ingress coming from the driver's side A pillar. A close inspection revealed that the 'flexible' seal at the back of the front section had failed in two places and that seems to be the source of the water given it was happening only in heavy rain when the van was parked.

Fair play to Steve and the team at the Sheffield Van Centre. I took it in this morning and within a few hours he's got it booked to go back to the repair centre, Claridges, in early August and promised me a loan vehicle for the duration. In the interim he's going to try to seal the join because I need to use the van for a trip this month.

Can't fault the VW Van Centre Service but what does worry me is that their seems to be a fair degree of flex in that roof panel and I don't want to be taking the van back every couple of years. We'll see what the solution looks like!

Same here - water pouring down both A pillars with quite a lake built up behind the trim above both front doors. Explains why the control panel shorted out too. My repair was in July 2017, and now there is a clear gap between the new plastic roof section and the seal. Water collects between the front of the elevating roof and the repair, and gets through to end up above the windscreen where it flows to the end either left or right - this isn't a seep but a torrent. Pictures of gap attached. It'd obviously been leaking for a while as the trim has got stained all the way along the front and now realised carpets are quite wet under the rubber mats.

Glad to hear Harrythecat got it sorted - wonder if this is going to become common a couple of years after the repair - combination of seal degenerating and heating/cooling shifting the plastic replacement from the underlying metal?
20190804_133956_upload.jpg

Last edited:
Mines at Claridges at this point in time. Speaking to them it seems that the new repair may be similar to the original repair with different adhesives/sealants. So the panel has to come off and a new one painted, dried, set in place, and left for the seal to cure ( if that’s the right term). We’ll see how it goes this time.

We took our van into Sinclairs VW van centre in Gorseinon Swansea. I noticed the blistering a few months before and they seemed to have done a good job.. I was told that when it first was detected they would actually respray the affected area after taking the paint back to the metal. Now they don’t respray them the original colour any longer. They take the paint off up to the top of the rubber seal then they treat the Aluminium with some magic liquid then fit a new rubber seal and it’s now glued on and it can’t be moved like the old system for checking. Also with the corrosion on the front panel whereas early on they would completely replace the panel now all they do is stick a new panel on top of the old one. Thank goodness we didn’t have to have that done...I was told that the front panel replacements were costing VW £4000. No wonder they went for a cheaper option.....

Strange that. I mentioned the concept of sticking a new panel on top of the old one to our local service manager and he seemed a bit sceptical although he did say that the invoices were now lower than originally was the case.

Wouldn't work in my case in any event as the panel is moving after the original repair which is why I suspect Claridges are replacing it.

Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that there's much/any science behind any of the many solutions. More Poke and Hope!
Still, glad the latest front cap fix doesn't involve letting them loose with an angle grinder, mind you covering the rot doesn't sound like a permanent solution.

Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that there's much/any science behind any of the many solutions. More Poke and Hope!
Still, glad the latest front cap fix doesn't involve letting them loose with an angle grinder, mind you covering the rot doesn't sound like a permanent solution.

Think they found the fix which we had on our t5 but they changed to a cheaper fix

Think they found the fix which we had on our t5 but they changed to a cheaper fix
Is that the angle grinder job? There have been a few with the caps becoming detached though.

Is that the angle grinder job? There have been a few with the caps becoming detached though.
We had the front cap replaced completely removed and replaced - not the cut the rot out and stick a platic cap over the remains.

AB Crush bodyshop

New cap
new bellows
2 weeks away door to door
brand new Cali while away

Without working through 200 pages and 7 years of this situation is there a recommended dealer in Hampshire/Surrey/Berks/Dorset - frankly will travel for a decent fix to our 2013 t5.1

The Cali was picked out for the recall by the local (martins) dealer in Feb when in for a gearbox service. They then forgot to send the pictures and claim to VW and still haven’t provided any feedback in spite of asking so am thinking I will find a good dealer and start again.

Cheers,
Men

Without working through 200 pages and 7 years of this situation is there a recommended dealer in Hampshire/Surrey/Berks/Dorset - frankly will travel for a decent fix to our 2013 t5.1
do not think it will make much difference as to were you go to get pictures and details sent off - the dealer was like a clearinghouse for VW HQ - they get the info - put you on a Bodyshop list and take your van off. (that is how it was)

@ArunAlec

this was the repair back in the day I am sure it was posted in the past, think it worked out too expensive and slow and it did not last for many months think we were lucky had had this fix after about 18months wait not long before they shortened the "fix",

Attachments

• van roof.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • van 2.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
Mines at Claridges at this point in time. Speaking to them it seems that the new repair may be similar to the original repair with different adhesives/sealants. So the panel has to come off and a new one painted, dried, set in place, and left for the seal to cure ( if that’s the right term). We’ll see how it goes this time.
Good luck. Ours has been to Claridges three times and water is pouring in again. Temporary repair by myself fixed it and so far has lasted three months in really bad weather at times. I agree the guys at Sheffield have been helpful but it is Claridges who have made a bodge of it. I'm almost tempted to keep repairing it myself now as I have no confidence in Claridges at all.

@ArunAlec

this was the repair back in the day I am sure it was posted in the past, think it worked out too expensive and slow and it did not last for many months think we were lucky had had this fix after about 18months wait not long before they shortened the "fix",
Does look like a proper job.

I too took my 2015 in for a service, they told me about the recall. They took the rubber seal off and found some very small amounts of blistering, then only half replaced seal, literally it was just dangling there, I was furious, when I called them to report it, I was told the mechanic was very apologetic. How can you not put back what you take off?

Did they suggest it was worth sending in for repair in this case? I have a small amount of bubbling along the offside only, not sure if to go through the pain of assessment/fixing?

Don't think I'd be so positive if I wrote about Roofgate 2 - we shall see what the bodyshop actually does for phase 2 in September! Seeing what is posted on here re bad repairs it's a bit worrying ....

I am trying to get my local dealer, who identified the problem in February, to do something. Went in yesterday and they are in correspondence with VW and the guy who does warranty is on holiday. The manager said if the corrosion had not got above the rubber seal they will repair if more than that it will be sent off. There are only 18 dealers able to do the mor comprehensive fix and our local one is Marshall’s body shop in Reading. The waiting time is 2.5 years.
I am hoping it is a fix they can do at the dealership!
Ken

Yes my dealership (Listers Coventry) was told twas a 2 year wait!!!!! That's why it's going up to Scotland sooner than that - must be less cali owners up in the wilds!!!
The downside is I will have no idea what they will do and worry that it comes back like some of those on here EEK!

What have people been offered as a replacement vehicle whilst VW fix their roofs? I thought VW had to offer a California.

What have people been offered as a replacement vehicle whilst VW fix their roofs? I thought VW had to offer a California.
They did back with the original type repair seems a bit hit and miss now

thereby hangs a tale
I had to call in help from people I know at VW as my dealership does not have Calis to loan, and the jobsworth at Customer Services was very unhelpful re a loan replacement. Some of the bigger dealerships are able to offer their customers a loan without going thru VW, but it seems this is not automatic like it was for Roofgate 1
A 19 plate Cali arrives end of Aug here, and have been told my Cali roof job may take around a month (!!!!) to turn round...am looking fwd to comparing mine and the new ones...

Back