Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 193 37.3%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 78 15.1%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.7%

• Total voters
R

rob.wheatley

Blistering Paintwork Front Roof Pannel

Hi All,

Anyone else have blistering paint work on the front pannel of the roof? I'm talking about the metal body pannel thing that meets the windscreen and forms the 1st part of the roof at the front.

There's another thread about this sort of thing, but I think it's a different part of the roof.

The blisters are all along the leading edge with no obvious signs of chipping. The van is only 2.5 years old, so I took it in this weekend (also having the reversing sensors sorted as they have packed in) and ask them to take a look. I will get the verdict as to whether the body work is covered under the 15 year bodywork warranty next week. I assume that if there were chips, the blistering isnt covered. I'll post with their verdict next week.

Re: Blistering paintwork

There's another thread about this sort of thing, but I think it's a different part of the roof.

Nope this is the same panel. Should be covered by warranty no matter what because it is such a common fault & well documented.

OK, as promised, here's the follow-up.

I'm getting it sorted under warranty. Nice.

Hi Rob

I had the same issue on a 9 month old Cali. It took a few weeks for VW to approve the work but it has now been done. Initially VW wanted the panel removed which is a big job involving dismantling most of the roof and internals of the cab. The dealer I took mine to has their own bodyshop and they decided that this was not nesasarry and convinced VW to do a repair only. The finish is excellent. I just have to wait and see if it is solved for good. As Andy has said this is a strangely common issue so you should have no issues getting a repair authorised but it may take a while longer that you would expect for a warranty issue.

Good luck

rob.wheatley said:

Sorry didn't see your follow up. Glad to VW have agreed to sort it out. Do you know if they are replacing the panel or doing a repair and respray?

rob.wheatley said:

Good luck, I have just had mine done, I was initially quoted 3 days, 2 weeks later it has just come back. The job is not that good and now I get smoke appearing in the cab when I lower the roof. I have also found out from VW head office that I should have been given a courtesy which the dealer said they weren't obliged to do so. We have booked a 10 day holiday next Friday so I am hoping it will be resolved. Its a pity my first post on this forum has to be a negative one. Still love the van though!

rob.wheatley said:
Hi All,

Anyone else have blistering paint work on the front pannel of the roof? I'm talking about the metal body pannel thing that meets the windscreen and forms the 1st part of the roof at the front.

The blisters are all along the leading edge with no obvious signs of chipping. The van is only 2.5 years old, so I took it in this weekend (also having the reversing sensors sorted as they have packed in) and ask them to take a look. I will get the verdict as to whether the body work is covered under the 15 year bodywork warranty next week. I assume that if there were chips, the blistering isnt covered. I'll post with their verdict next week.
Good luck, I have just had my 09 Cali roof repaired under warranty. They said it would be 3 days, 2 weeks later I have just got the van back. I had to involve VW customer care as I was getting nowhere with the dealer. They admitted they didnt know what they were doing which was a bit worrying. I have just got the van back and its not a great job, also I now get smoke coming from the cab roof when i lower the roof. We are booked on a 10 day holiday at the end of next week so I hope it can all get sorted. Its a pity that my first post on this forum is not positive. We have had the van 3 years and love it but dont feel the same about the main dealer. Its not the first problem we have had with them either, we will be going somewhere else next time.

Sorry for the double post, battery went flat half way through and i thought id lost the post so did it again. You can tell im new. lol.

My 2010 facelift model has blistering paintwork on the front left hand side at the corner with the windscreen. I have had the Cali examined by VW Preston who noticed that the black plastic trim leading to the gutter is noticeably nearer to the panel than the trim on the drivers side. Maybe this is the problem? After taking photos they are e mailing the damage to VW head office for a decision to be made on the best method of repair.

Can anyone else who has had this problem confirm it was in the same location, maybe there is a assembly problem at the factory?

Hi my blistering was at various points accross the leading edge. One bit was on the side but the majority was at the front.

Thanks for your reply. I have now spotted a minor blister on the drivers side now!

Well if it makes you feel better the repair on mine looks good as new.

drmw1335 said:
My 2010 facelift model has blistering paintwork on the front left hand side at the corner with the windscreen. I have had the Cali examined by VW Preston who noticed that the black plastic trim leading to the gutter is noticeably nearer to the panel than the trim on the drivers side. Maybe this is the problem? After taking photos they are e mailing the damage to VW head office for a decision to be made on the best method of repair.

Can anyone else who has had this problem confirm it was in the same location, maybe there is a assembly problem at the factory?

My 2010 facelift had the same problem on both sides along . VW Preston sorted it out so know all about what appears to be a very common problem.

Just picked up my 2010 Cali last week and decided to polish the roof. Noticed a couple of paint bubbles on the upper edge of the front panel above the windscreen up against the rubber seal. Was intending to write to VW UK and file a warranty claim. I would appreciate any suggestions as to a competent dealership to get the repair done?

In all other respects I am delighted with the vehicle.

Hi all, just got back to see that someone asked me a question. Not sure why I didn't get the email. Anyway, I've no idea if they took the panel off or not. The job looks like new and given some paint goes under the rim I can't see how they could have done such a good job without taking it off. It took 4 days from drop off to pickup and the service dept was excellent. It's the High Wycombe dealer (the new one. Very good, much better that te old one). They don't have a body shop, but the one up the road does which is where I took it.

I don't think you need write a letter of complaint, just take it to the dealer and show them. Mine sorted it with no questions (once some sort of inspector approved the work under warrenty). All very pleasant if not a little inconvenient. Oh, I was offered a courteously car, but didn't need it.

Great to see these posts (or not as the case may be) as I have the exact same issue above the driver's on the edge of the panel. Mine's 12 months old.

Will get it in over the next couple of weeks to be sorted and take your posts printed out to speed up the process.

Thanks for your help.

James

Hi I have had this blistering problem and as been resolved under warranty on my 2010 Cali.

As a method of preventing any reoccurrence the black plastic ends are set slightly apart from the runners (you have to get very close up to spot this)

Does anyone know if this problem has been designed out on new models?

drmw1335 said:
As a method of preventing any reoccurrence the black plastic ends are set slightly apart from the runners (you have to get very close up to spot this)

I don't quite understand - any chance of a photo showing what you mean?

I'm a bit un-nerved by the thought a new vehicle could have rust within a year that isn't caused by some damage/accident.

Aren't all panels galvanised? I didn't check before buying mine but assumed they would be on a high end VW. If not, then simply respraying the panel is only a short term fix - especially for a panel on the front of the roof which is likely to pick up stone chips, hold water etc.

If it's just plain cold rolled/annealed (ie non galv) and painted steel I'm very disappointed. The only reason this is still sometimes used on vehicles is to reduce cost. :cry:

Hi

Just nipped out to take a photo to show you.

I will try and work out how to upload onto this forum one i have found the instructions.

Thanks - if nothing else I'll know what to keep an eye on.

:thanks

Hi try this link to view a photo of the blistering paintwork, and the refitting of the black plastic gutter cap as recommended by VW.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89268335@N04/

Ps if anyone can show me the link to explain how to upload photos to this site i would grateful. I use iPhoto on my macbook if this helps.

Thanks for the photos.

Do I understand correctly that the curved black plastic gutter piece that goes from the rail to the window has been moved a few mm further forwards?

Is this to make a bigger gap between the front spoiler edge and the gutter or to encourage water to run down the gap between the plastic gutter and the main rail?

Either way - it's disappointing if they didn't galvanise the extra bits on the campervans. It's not like they're a bargain-buy!

Thanks again for taking the time with the photos.

Hi
The piece you mentioned has been moved slightly downwards. The gap is wider at the top than the bottom only by a millimetre or so. I believe the front piece of the roof is made of aluminium and the bond between it and the rest of the roof is causing the problem.

Aluminium sounds good - that won't corrode badly.

I'd heard the roof itself was Al but didn't think of the spoiler. Makes sense in hindsight.

I guess a repair should be pretty sound then.

Back