Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW GrandCalifornia Price Confirmed

What will be the entry price for the new California XXL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
57000€ is about £51000. We will not be offered this vehicle in any form for anywhere remotely near that price in the UK. If we are I'll eat my hat.

Volkswagen will have to be around this price point due to the competition of similar vans. For them to compete in this marketplace the base price needs to be around £55k ball park.

I know this market very well as I have been researching it for my father who has just purchased a Tribute for £52k which is based on a Fiat panel van.

I don't see the point of these posts, they add no value to the thread, the Grand will be aimed at a totally different user, that is why Volkswagen has bought it out.

Agreed, it's like me going onto the Marco Polo forum and just posting that it's not for me or going into Lidl and telling the manager that I prefer Waitrose

The only reason we are discussing this issue on the VW California Forum is that VW are attempting to give their new product gravitas by selling it using the California name and it's long established heritage. The CG may well turn out to be a great vehicle but since it isn't a step change development in the California but instead a completely new design and direction within the motorhome sector they should, IMO, have called it something completely different.

If it turns out that the UK base California Grand with hot water and a bathroom sells for £51000 then it's going to be a bit tricky for VW sales bods to justify the current £56579 price tag for the smaller base Ocean with neither. I know they are different markets but why complicate the issue and confuse people by using the same name. As for the Ocean they could use the sales slogan, Less is More and they'd be right.

Last edited:
If the suggested prices are correct for the new CG models, will this have any affect on the values of our Californias ? I like the look of the 600 and if we had room we may consider one, however it isn't a daily vehicle either like the Cali is, so yes, I agree with those saying it is aimed at a whole new market but will also sway a few current Cali owners to up size too I'm sure.

I love the fact that despite us (sort of) knowing the answer to the poll, still no one has voted for it!
View attachment 37257
Still cant see a UK list price of under 55k.

I'd be amazed. VW uk will justify it with more items of standard equipment.

I'd also love to know if anyone at VW UK is watching and reading this thread!

Last edited:
The only reason we are discussing this issue on the VW California Forum is that VW are attempting to give their new product gravitas by selling it using the California name and it's long established heritage. The CG may well turn out to be a great vehicle but since it isn't a step change development in the California but instead a completely new design and direction within the motorhome sector they should, IMO, have called it something completely different.

If it turns out that the UK base California Grand with hot water and a bathroom sells for £51000 then it's going to be a bit tricky for VW sales persons to justify the current £56579 price tag for the smaller base Ocean with neither. I know they are different markets but why complicate and confuse people by using the same name. As for the Ocean they could use the sales slogan, Less is More and they'd be right.

I am not sure just because something is larger it should be more than expensive, the Ocean does has stuff like the electric roof etc.. As said by others, the Ocean can be a daily driver and the Grand is a full motorhome.

California Chris at Liverpool has uploaded a youtube video from Dusseldorf showing the Grand C.

I am not sure just because something is larger it should be more than expensive, the Ocean does has stuff like the electric roof etc.. As said by others, the Ocean can be a daily driver and the Grand is a full motorhome.
True, the Cali roof, kitchen/wardrobe unit and rock 'n roll bed are all expensive items.

It entirely depends what you want but for pricing size does not matter :shocked

I would quite happily pay a premium for having every life-support necessity there is in something that can go under a 2m barrier, park in a normal parking bay, gives me confidence on small, unmade roads and means that I do not need another vehicle in the drive because it quite happily doubles as a second car.

• Agree
Reactions: DG1
It's not only because it's larger! If you can buy a larger California with hot water, a bathroom and toilet for less than an Ocean then by using that logic the stock Beach should then be the most expensive model in the California range!

Personally, I don't think that the electric roof should be used as a reason for the extra cost. What the CG does have is an expensive looking raised roof so I'm not sure that the cost of the electric roof is a valid reason for charging extra for the Ocean.

My point is that if VW hadn't chosen to use the California name they could have marketed this motor home at what ever price they felt best placed it within the already competitive motor home sector. However, as it is when Mr and Mrs Newly-Minted stroll into their local VW Commercial showrooms with their hearts set on buying a stock Ocean at £56579 and then notice the stock California Grand at £51000 will all its extra facilities standing nearby they will naturally ask themselves what that extra £5579 is going to buy them. They may then conclude that as potential Ocean buyers, they are being taken for an expensive ride.

So I still doubt that we will see this vehicle marketed in the UK for anything like £51k.

Last edited:
Maybe we can take our old vans in and get cash plus a Cali Grand in exchange. ;)

The Crafter is made in Poland and I have heard that they will be fitting out the New Grand California in Poland .Which will keep the price down, I think the price will start from £55.000.

I must admit I really like the look of that. If we ever get the retirement living away somewhere warmer going, I'd be very tempted.

Just seen the fridge has a freezer compartment. Proper G&T. I'm slipping boys, I'm slipping...

I like it and it will fit in perfectly for us as late 2019 we plan to do a tour of Europe for 6 months staying at many sites which don't have facilities so we had planned to buy a small motorhome however this fits the bill perfect for us as we love the Volkswagen scene and this will hopefully keep us in.

I agree with what people are saying, you cannot compare these two vehicles as a person that is looking specifically for a small motorhome with a bathroom would not consider an Ocean.

Like I say, I like it and would happily pay circa £60k

I popped in and saw my dealer today (Cali lol) and he has seen the Grand in Dusseldorf. What I wasn't aware of with the 600 is the high level bed is only for kids, max length 165cm I think, which rules out the Grand for us as our 13 year old is at that height now. Shame, I thought the Grand would sleep 4 adults for some reason. He had a very nice Ocean in there at 75-76K!

I popped in and saw my dealer today (Cali lol) and he has seen the Grand in Dusseldorf. What I wasn't aware of with the 600 is the high level bed is only for kids, max length 165cm I think, which rules out the Grand for us as our 13 year old is at that height now. Shame, I thought the Grand would sleep 4 adults for some reason. He had a very nice Ocean in there at 75-76K!

Is that Preston? I was snooping around a Grey/Black Ocean in the showroom last week. Didn’t realise it was so expensive

Is that Preston? I was snooping around a Grey/Black Ocean in the showroom last week. Didn’t realise it was so expensive
Yes it was, had a good chat with top salesman Guy.

Has the video been removed/relocated?

Back