Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW having issues with new Cali registrations?

calijomo

calijomo

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Interested to hear if anyone else is having major delays getting a new September plate Cali registered by their dealer?

I was due one a couple of weeks ago and my Cali is still sitting on the forecourt with VW not allowing me to collect the vehicle because of "Real Driving Emissions regulations".

Interested to hear if anyone else is having major delays getting a new September plate Cali registered by their dealer?

I was due one a couple of weeks ago and my Cali is still sitting on the forecourt with VW not allowing me to collect the vehicle because of "Real Driving Emissions regulations".
Thought that was sorted end of last year? is it the MPV Motorhome issue?

As Sandyvan say most likely the registration situation with regards to description as California’s are being registered as MPV which has now other issues. Search on site to follow the issues it’s wide on vans registered from 2019.

No issues with our new one, got registration number through before it had arrived with dealer.

AS I mentioned in another post ours, which will be collected on Friday is registered by DVLA as a Golf GTI ....

Apparently the codes thet are used and sent to them by VW are quite complex and DVLA are sometimes lazy and incompetent and it does ( allegedly) happen quite often with comercial vehicles due to the huge variations on a theme

Can I politely request that you read and post in the existing thread on this issue instead of starting another?

Can I politely request that you read and post in the existing thread on this issue instead of starting another?
As Loz says

Hi @Loz and @Sandyvan - thanks for the heads-up on that thread and that looks like a world of pain.

I think the issue I am experiencing is different though (having just got off a long conversation with VW Customer Support). Please correct me if I am wrong about that assumption - this is a big lump of bureaucracy that is rather new to me as I thought I was just buying a van rather than having to mug up on legislation :headbang

What VW Customer Service have said is that the delay is due to the "new" Real Driving Emissions (RDE) regulations introduced on 1st Sept in the UK this year as part of the WLTP introduced last year. And that my vehicle is stuck waiting for official registration approval by the Vehicle Certification Agency because the build on the vehicle started in May and now needs to be registered in September.

They have said that their estimated delay to getting the vehicle registered is 3-4 weeks and were at pains to say that was an estimate and it could be longer.

The dealer has said that this is a new issue from 1st Sept this year as is impacting all VW Californias being sold in the UK at the moment and that all are getting jammed in the system and delayed going out to customers. I was interested to know if anyone else with a 1st Sept or later registration of a VW Cali is experiencing the same delay or if I have just drawn the short straw?

If I have got this mixed up (entirely possible) and it is the same issue as the vehicle classification thread above then many apologies for elongating this discussion and I will quietly go back to drowning myself in gin and looking wistfully at my collapsible kettle which has no home to go at the moment!

The RDE problem and delays was about this time last year. Perhaps it's an annual period of chaos?

Hi @Loz and @Sandyvan - thanks for the heads-up on that thread and that looks like a world of pain.

I think the issue I am experiencing is different though (having just got off a long conversation with VW Customer Support). Please correct me if I am wrong about that assumption - this is a big lump of bureaucracy that is rather new to me as I thought I was just buying a van rather than having to mug up on legislation :headbang

What VW Customer Service have said is that the delay is due to the "new" Real Driving Emissions (RDE) regulations introduced on 1st Sept in the UK this year as part of the WLTP introduced last year. And that my vehicle is stuck waiting for official registration approval by the Vehicle Certification Agency because the build on the vehicle started in May and now needs to be registered in September.

They have said that their estimated delay to getting the vehicle registered is 3-4 weeks and were at pains to say that was an estimate and it could be longer.

The dealer has said that this is a new issue from 1st Sept this year as is impacting all VW Californias being sold in the UK at the moment and that all are getting jammed in the system and delayed going out to customers. I was interested to know if anyone else with a 1st Sept or later registration of a VW Cali is experiencing the same delay or if I have just drawn the short straw?

If I have got this mixed up (entirely possible) and it is the same issue as the vehicle classification thread above then many apologies for elongating this discussion and I will quietly go back to drowning myself in gin and looking wistfully at my collapsible kettle which has no home to go at the moment!

If that's what VW have told you then you can only go with that. I would ask the dealer about the other issue, give them something else to worry about.

I think the issue I am experiencing is different ...

Yes, it is a completely different issue. RDE (fuel/emissions data) is not the body type code coding error discussed in the referenced thread.

Mind you, you might want to confirm with VWCS that your Dealer is made aware what the correct body type code is for your vehicle, given VWCS are telling Customers they have identified a coding error with this process. VWCS are in a position to make sure you are not also saddled with that additional problem, post initial registration.

Yes, it is a completely different issue. RDE (fuel/emissions data) is not the body type code coding error discussed in the referenced thread.

Mind you, you might want to confirm with VWCS that your Dealer is made aware what the correct body type code is for your vehicle, given VWCS are telling Customers they have identified a coding error with this process. VWCS are in a position to make sure you are not also saddled with that additional problem, post initial registration.

It's a real PIA this stuff - who knew it was so hard to give this much money to a car company!

With a flourish of foolish optimism I booked a trip to Europe a few weeks from now with the not-here Cali so at this rate I'll have to cancel this purchase and pick up a new-to-me already registered van.

Last week my dealer told me there was a couple of days delay at the minute but I got mine registered on Monday, sounds like you have been unlucky.

Interesting... different class of vehicles have to meet different emissions. I wonder if the MPV registrations were to get around the emissions changes??.?

Just thinking out loud...

Interesting... different class of vehicles have to meet different emissions. I wonder if the MPV registrations were to get around the emissions changes??.?

Interesting thought !

I wonder if this is the real issue

RDE is being introduced in two steps:
RDE step 1
– applies to new type approvals from 1 September 2017 and to all new registrations from 1 September 2019.

• For RDE1 a NOx conformity factor of 2.1 will apply meaning that NOx emissions in the RDE1 test can be up to 2.1 times the Euro 6 laboratory limit of 80mg/km.
  • Cars type approved during this period will be described as meeting Euro 6d-temp.
RDE step 2 – applies to new type approvals from 1 January 2020 and to all new registrations from 1 January 2021.

It's a real PIA this stuff - who knew it was so hard to give this much money to a car company!

With a flourish of foolish optimism I booked a trip to Europe a few weeks from now with the not-here Cali so at this rate I'll have to cancel this purchase and pick up a new-to-me already registered van.
Sit it out ?
Hire a Cali??
re book the trip ?
I think you will be happy when it’s free and you will have one of the very last t6cali’s

I wonder if this is the real issue

RDE is being introduced in two steps:
RDE step 1
– applies to new type approvals from 1 September 2017 and to all new registrations from 1 September 2019.

• For RDE1 a NOx conformity factor of 2.1 will apply meaning that NOx emissions in the RDE1 test can be up to 2.1 times the Euro 6 laboratory limit of 80mg/km.
  • Cars type approved during this period will be described as meeting Euro 6d-temp.
RDE step 2 – applies to new type approvals from 1 January 2020 and to all new registrations from 1 January 2021.

Can I ask where that was taken from?

Parker’s website describes it a little different, suggesting that T6 Calis will be Euro6c, even if registered after Sept 2019, which is also how they are advertised by VW. As they are not a new model.

T6.1s will be Euro6d-temp, as advertised also by VW, a benefit of the new model.

This from Parker’s:

What does Euro 6C mean? And what does Euro 6d-Temp mean?
The Euro 6c part means that the vehicle complies with WLTP, while Euro 6d-Temp means that it complies with the newest part of the testing – the Real Driving Emissions (RDE) test. This is an on-road element that is supposed to give a much more realistic indication of how fuel efficient a vehicle will be on the in actual driving conditions.

The Euro 6c element is what all vans have to meet in September 2019, while they will have to meet Euro 6d-Temp by September 2020.

To add a bit more confusion, all newly launched models had to meet Euro 6d-Temp from September 2018, so brand new vans and pickups entering the market this year will have gone through the RDE test already.

Parker’s website describes it a little different, suggesting that T6 Calis will be Euro6c, even if registered after Sept 2019, which is also how they are advertised by VW. As they are not a new model.

T6.1s will be Euro6d-temp, as advertised also by VW, a benefit of the new model.

The existing MY19 VW T6 brochure (26 July 2019) shows the 150PS and 199PS models as EU6D Temp, so VW are in fact advertising T6 models as EU6D Temp despite being an existing model

The existing MY19 VW T6 brochure (26 July 2019) shows the 150PS and 199PS models as EU6D Temp, so VW are in fact advertising T6 models as EU6D Temp despite being an existing model

Thanks Scanacali
That’s really good to know, thank you.
Ours is hopefully being built next week, so would prefer it to be a EU6DTemp, in case it helps keep us one small wave ahead of future emissions zones/taxes.
It was one of many small factors we we wrestled with when deciding whether to order a last T6 or await T6.1.
Would be a nice surprise if it was rated EU6DTemp.

Counter-intuitive that emissions targets and measurements have anything to do with a description of the vehicle body and qualification as a motor caravan.

If this is emissions related, would VWCS then be telling people the V5C change from motor caravan to MPV was all just a simple error for the body type code? That would mean VWCS is just flanneling its Customers.

The information given to me was that each vehicle is checked for emissions based on its specifications and changes to standard specs effect its clearance. Nothing to do woth MPV nonsense as that is just to to DVLA and their strange ways.

Counter-intuitive that emissions targets and measurements have anything to do with a description of the vehicle body and qualification as a motor caravan.

If this is emissions related, would VWCS then be telling people the V5C change from motor caravan to MPV was all just a simple error for the body type code? That would mean VWCS is just flanneling its Customers.
N1 and M1 are different emissions targets

Back