Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW hightop self build

Now I really am feeling jealous (well apart from the manual gearbox :D )
It’s a bit of a chore, and forget it’s got 6 (jimny only 5).
Will come into its own in the snow and mountain roads, can’t beat proper gear braking. Plus cheaper to service.
No heated seats or tailgate are the big miss for me. Barn doors are super high so will work better for the way the bike store is being built. Tailgate is the best shelter after a hike to get out of wet gear so will have to work out something else.

Heated seats can be retrofitted or aftermarket heat pads added :)
looks a great van for a conversion!

Have a heat pad I used in the jimny, just a little messy compared to factory fit. Hopefully we get a nice summer so won’t need it for awhile.

Quick pic of cab.
Has bench seat and it folds down (nice bit of storage there) so have decided to keep as having 3 belted seats may come in handy, as I’m not fitting any travel seats/rocknroll bed in back.
Drivers seat is captain type with arm rest which is nice and I can access rear without getting out of van not as easy or good as two captain chairs that swivel like cali. Handy if I ever need to leave a stealth park up quick/late at night.

View attachment IMG_6490.jpeg

]

Having converted three T5s and a T6 I must admit that having one of those with a factory high top the others with Reimo high tops I would never bother with the factory roof again.
There is nowhere near a much space in the factory one as the Reimo version, factory ones only have the option of high rear doors where as if fitting a Remo (or any other that may be available) you can retain the rear hatch access.

Here is my last one which is now sold. We've now gone to a LWB MAN TGE which I didn't convert myself.

All my personal opinion of course.

Having converted three T5s and a T6 I must admit that having one of those with a factory high top the others with Reimo high tops I would never bother with the factory roof again.
There is nowhere near a much space in the factory one as the Reimo version, factory ones only have the option of high rear doors where as if fitting a Remo (or any other that may be available) you can retain the rear hatch access.

Here is my last one which is now sold. We've now gone to a LWB MAN TGE which I didn't convert myself.

All my personal opinion of course.
Looked good, I’m doing a very unusual layout setup.
Van needs to do lots more than just the norm :thumb

Will be pinching some of your ideas later when funds allow. Owning a white jimny and seeing your white cali swamped out mads me really like the colour :thumb
He’s some more inspirational pictures
Bull bar fitted it’s all stainless 450£ I got it new off eBay for 150£
Stainless black side bars from transporter hq really good quality
Front runner typhoon bag and front runner straps and top boxes
Quite nice having a blank canvas like yours you can get creative

He’s some more inspirational pictures
Bull bar fitted it’s all stainless 450£ I got it new off eBay for 150£
Stainless black side bars from transporter hq really good quality
Front runner typhoon bag and front runner straps and top boxes
Quite nice having a blank canvas like yours you can get creative

IMG_1235.jpeg

IMG_1236.jpeg

Quick pic of cab.
Has bench seat and it folds down (nice bit of storage there) so have decided to keep as having 3 belted seats may come in handy, as I’m not fitting any travel seats/rocknroll bed in back.
Drivers seat is captain type with arm rest which is nice and I can access rear without getting out of van not as easy or good as two captain chairs that swivel like cali. Handy if I ever need to leave a stealth park up quick/late at night.

View attachment 121908

]
Leaving it as two seats that swivel will make a good dog bed also loads of storage underneath

Back