Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Loyalty Bonus

2haw

2haw

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I received an email regarding a loyalty bonus to buy a new VW car a few weeks back, so tried to get this extra Loyalty Bonus on the California. After speaking to VW customer services and VW Commercial customer services, I got nowhere, they didn't have a clue what I was on about at first..

After buying over 10 new VW's in 9 years, I thought I would qualify but no! Ive been told It's not available on Commercial Vehicles.

Just wondering if anybody else has tried?

expect they can sale as many California's as they make but given the emision issues bet car sales are slow

They're doing all sorts of contribution deals on cars at the moment as my GF is looking for a new town car. We spent quite some time looking at the polo recently in a local listers. Very nice guy and very helpful.

The one things that has struck me however when looking at various brands and specs is that the modern features that are considered basic or standard (and free) on other brands are all extra on the VW and even then what they are providing is often out of date. No idea if its like that on the bigger cars too. I think they've relied on their name for too long to overcharge for basic stuff like bluetooth or a modern stereo, they can't afford to any longer really, the competition has moved on a long way.

I love my Cali but after seeing what you get for your money, it has put me off their cars.

They're doing all sorts of contribution deals on cars at the moment as my GF is looking for a new town car. We spent quite some time looking at the polo recently in a local listers. Very nice guy and very helpful.

The one things that has struck me however when looking at various brands and specs is that the modern features that are considered basic or standard (and free) on other brands are all extra on the VW and even then what they are providing is often out of date. No idea if its like that on the bigger cars too. I think they've relied on their name for too long to overcharge for basic stuff like bluetooth or a modern stereo, they can't afford to any longer really, the competition has moved on a long way.

I love my Cali but after seeing what you get for your money, it has put me off their cars.

Japanese cars broke into the market in the USA and Europe thirty years ago (after fixing the rust problem) by, as you say, doing simply this: putting what most cars have as extra accessories as standard and within the standard price. Bargains and excellent to drive. Massive PR about the build and drivability of VW/AUDI is designed to turn heads away from this but it's only PR: PR that's hiding many other sins, too, as we've been recently discovering. We should all buy elsewhere, in my opinion.

Recently sold our Vw Polo and replaced it with a Kia Sportage Axis. Completely and utterly different buying experience. Just how it should be, non of the Vw cr@p. Lovely car to drive and loaded with included "extras"
So Vw has lost my business for cars from now on. Voted with my feet as the saying goes.

I received an email regarding a loyalty bonus to buy a new VW car a few weeks back, so tried to get this extra Loyalty Bonus on the California. After speaking to VW customer services and VW Commercial customer services, I got nowhere, they didn't have a clue what I was on about at first..

After buying over 10 new VW's in 9 years, I thought I would qualify but no! Ive been told It's not available on Commercial Vehicles.

Just wondering if anybody else has tried?
I have been offered up to £1500 off a new VW car. Starts at £400 off an UP and increases with the value of the car. I would love this to be transferable to VW commercials but I am not going to waste my time by asking as the answer is obvious. I would like to see VW trying to keep customers who up until now had brand loyalty to VW. Once we switch to another brand then it is unlikely that we will return. Offering up to 1500 without any flexibity doesn't come anywhere near enough. I have a Passat at the mo and unless I am offered some compensation (as has been offered in the U.S.) or a loyalty bonus that I can apply to the Cali then my next car will not be from VAG. The Passat is affected by the emissions scandal with no word on what rework will be required. I am not a happy customer and I am still having thoughts about cancelling the Cali order.

I know it sounds really petty but I was going to order the Cali about 3 weeks ago and on the same day of visiting the dealer, i got the email about the "Loyalty Bonus" on a new car. As a very loyal VW customer, just about to order a 40k camper, I found that as the discount would not apply to me, very very annoying!

My wife also has a 1.6tdi Touran that is affected by the emission issues.

I informed the dealer of my thoughts and he completely understands my frustrations!

Like a few of the folks on here I also got the loyalty offer letter having bought my wife a golf last year. Cutting a long story short I wrote to UK MD Alex Smith and was given the equivalent of being asked to take a running jump. The logic was a California is a commercial vehicle not a 'passenger car'. Having pointed out I don't intend shipping too many breeze blocks or chipboard in mine the conversation descended into farce. The fact a people carrying vehicle is sold through the VW commercial channel is totally irrelevant from a customer point of view, however this is totally lost on VW. Their loyalty scheme has TOTALLY brassed me off. Clearly they haven't learned zero from their public humiliation in terms of PR and customer relations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding is that the California / Caravelle & Shuttle are all classified as passenger vehicles, that's why they have the Euro 6 engines installed and the Vans don't yet.

To the loyal customer, I find the way it is called a 'loyalty bonus' is the frustrating bit, especially when obviously all it is about is to help sell cars during VW'S little problem!

I didn't even receive a loyalty bonus letter...
Was about to place an order for a Golf GTD. Now rethinking my whole plan and this is now looking unlikely.
Upgrading my 2011 Cali was also on the cards for next year, but this will be on hold also. We got a 14% discount when we bought ours in 2011. I think those days are gone.
VW better start getting their act together if they are not to lose some of their customer base.
The vehicles and service are generally good, but they are 'not quite Carling'....

Last edited:
There was some talk a while ago about Skoda having the T5 when the T6 came out. Shame it's not happening as we are now on our fifth Skoda after getting one of the first Fabia VRs when they came out years ago and me having a couple of Octavias as company cars much to the initial merriment of my colleagues driving round in Audis and BMWs. Last laugh was mine though as the Skodas were better equipped, more reliable and I paid a lot less tax. No problems, excellent service from the dealers keen to help, decent discounts and better build quality. A Skoda Cali equivalent would be great.

OPEN LETTER EMAILED TODAY:

Alex,

Given my escalation to you received a 'deaf ear' and a justification that a California is indeed 'Not A Passenger Car' I decided a quick Google Search and found that I was indeed not the only one with the opinion that a loyalty scheme should be just that, rewarding your customer base for loyalty through difficult times for VW.

I see this forum thread started yesterday and is gathering momentum. It has a consistent theme. VW's position is inconsistent and lacking total in customer centricity.

Forum Link:

http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/vw-loyalty-bonus.12232/

I for one will publish an open letter stating that if you honour the payment of 1500 pounds which is the logical and consistent thing to do, I will donate 100% of it to the Neo Natal wing at Addenbrokes Hospital. I make this gesture to highlight the point that my frustration is not seeking one of financial gain but some basic consistency and indeed 'loyalty' to your own customers.

Regards,

Tom Craig

I too would be willing to donate 100% of any bonus VW were to give to Addenbrokes Hospital where my cousin and her 1yr old son are currently receiving care.

The downside to receive the bonus is that you have to buy another Volkswagen car.
I personally would be very wary about buying a car from a company that has endemic cheating and lying throughout its organisation.
The only exception will be when the Cali needs replacing.
We have recently replaced our Polo with a Kia.
' nuf said.

I didn't even receive a loyalty bonus letter...
Was about to place an order for a Golf GTD. Now rethinking my whole plan and this is now looking unlikely.

Friend is looking at the GTD, got offered £5k (9%) discount without any haggling.

57a314cb0c60efb4e1f788f2e570e850.jpg

Screen shot from Drive The Deal

Like many VW owners, I am watching the current situation with great interest. My own VW pedigree began in 1973 when I bought my first Beetle, a '64 1200. I have owned VW's ever since then. The current stable comprises a '77 Beetle Cabrio, a '01 T4 California and a '10 GT TDI, which is affected by the emissions scandal. VW's have been a big part of our family life as we have always been very active on the VW social scene, attending many shows over the years both here and abroad. The quality of the competition for VW is now so good that many alternatives exist to tempt long-term owners away, myself included. VW's failure to offer any discount on the California ( have they solved the roof corrosion problems now?) and there refusal to offer the same compensation to owners outside the US will only increase the chances of expensive class action lawsuits over here. My intention is to keep the T4 and the Cabrio, but ultimately replace the Golf and look to another make for our next car. Never thought I would ever contemplate doing this but there is only so far that you can bend over and be shafted!

Friend is looking at the GTD, got offered £5k (9%) discount without any haggling.
The mentioning of lack of loyalty bonus letter was I guess because of the sheer principle. The poor service I had received from VW when I purchased my £42k vehicle was also a factor in not ordering the golf GTD.
Maybe also in Part the emmisions scandal. I see VW in a similar position to mercedes a few years ago and similar to BMW now, where they can command high prices for their products and also provide poor customer service because they know their cars will sell all the same, however, as we know, all bubbles burst eventually, so they will need to fall back on brand loyalty rather than product standard or service.
My GTD will have been a company car, so I don't pay, it's the principle and voting with my feet that I am interested in... :)
Happy Days..

Why would you pay 24.5K for a 1.4 Golf, (after28%discount)!! crazy prices these days.

Never been a huge golf fan they've always seemed expensive for what they are. We bought a 3 series BMW for less money!

Sent from my Galaxy S6

I do like a GTI, I reckon with a bit of work and the loyalty bonus that a basic one could be had for just over 21k at the moment!

25 years ago you could sell cars on their reliability. Nowadays that's not the case since most modern day cars are all equally as reliable, so the main drivers for sales are quality and style, and of course other manufactures are catching VW up.
Look, I am not saying VW cars are so bad, they are good cars, it's just that the difference In quality and style between VW and other makes is so much narrower than it used to be that i don't think VW can warrant commanding such high prices anymore. particularly when customer service isn't always up to scratch (not in all cases I hasten to add).
There I've said my bit....

Usually higher selling price means better customer service but for some reason not always the case with VW?

I hear about the Audi service experience and also the Alfa one with my last car was pretty great. VW seem to lose interest once they have your money.

All is well that ends well. After some further correspondence VW have agreed to pay me some cash as a goodwill gesture in lieu of the loyalty scheme which is great and I think the right thing to do. Good to my word I will pay 100% of the payment to Addenbrokes hospital. They have a unit for housing parents while their children are in intensive care, Chestnut House so will drive up between Christmas and New Year. They were unbelievable when our son was born so nice to give something back. Thank you VW.

Back