John

VIP Member
Original post Cali Admin

Reviews of the VW Original Tailgate Bike Rack
Available from: VW Dealers
Price: £463

ywIF7PFRvS2n6O0n6dl6.jpg

Original post Mark

We have only used few times as cali still relatively new but below are pros and cons as i see them:

Pros:

Very easy to use.
When not in use stays on vehicle and folds up nicely.
very well made.

Cons

Cant open rear door with more than one (two if light) bikes on rake.
Does not lock the 4th bike.

Original post wingate

Very well made and rock solid. We have only had two bikes mounted. I added a pair of offset collars so the clamp would grip square on the carbon fibre aero shaped tube on my Trel Madone.Makes a great towel rail.

Original post smgcowfold parts

VW genuine bike rack i can sell to anyone on the forum for £420. You will have to collect unless your fairly local.

Regards

Steve

Practical Motorhome did a review/test of bike racks, about 10 from memory, for the VW T5 last year.

No surprise that VW's own rack came out tops despite it costing more than twice the cost of some competitors. The test included all the top branded marques. The conclusion being that it was worth the extra cost.

Hubert

Agree very solid, excellent quality, that bike rack.

Niggles: I am 5ft 9inches, or thereabouts, and getting that first bike on and secure needs quite a stretch, so if you are shorter and don't want to use something to stand on you may struggle.

Remember that the bikes are higher than the Van using this rack so avoid any 6ft barriers!

In terms of mounting and clamping the bikes; we have four mountain bikes and I clamp either the seat posts or front suspension tubes, thus avoiding any damage to the paint work.

Hi, I have read that you cant raise the rear door when there are 2 or more bikes on the vw rack. Can anyone confirm whether this is a common issue for all makes of bike racks or specific to the vw rack.

The atera rack looks nice so trying to decide between the two.

I suspect any rack fixed to the door will create difficulties opening the door. It is already heavy without bikes on so suspect any more than 1 or 2 bikes loaded would make this impossible.

The rack is now home to 2 black Brompton M6L's. Fit is great, security is not bad as the bikes are U-locked together and cable locked to the VW carrier. The tailgate will go up and a length of wood will act as a prop to hold the door up. The handlebars can be lowered as can the seat posts to reduce height and drag as well as not to interfere with the black Vanorak.

We've recently changed our California and need to put our original VW Bike Rack onto the new van. However does anyone know where we might be able to obtain a new set of clear plastic paint protectors, these were supplied with the bike racks when purchased new? After 3-4 years of doing a good job of protecting the paint on the old van these aren't re-useable. We've emailed VW website with all of the original part details but haven't had a response and I cannot find a copy of our email that we sent them now which is a bit frustrating. I suppose any type of paint protector along similar lines would be fit for purpose but would appreciate any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Fin

Hi Fin

you can buy the protectors from campervantasic or your vw dealer i think there about £20 a set.

hope that helps you.

Gary & Heather.

Thanks for the swift responses, much appreciated. I have already sent a PM to Californiaman and will take him up on his kind offer. But thanks also to Gary & Heather.

Cheers once again

Fin

We're looking to get a bike rack for two bikes for our California. Not sure which one to go for, but we'd be prepared to get the VW original if it's worth the extra money. No towbar on our van.

What I was wondering is: how difficult are these things to fit, and is it easy (possible) to take the rack off if you're not using it? We have to park the van on the street, so don't want any extra stuff sticking out if it can be avoided.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hi there. I had the fiamma bike rack before I replaced it with the vw one
The difference in quality is clear the vw one is far more robust and in my opinion better looking too. It is worth the difference in price :thumb as for removing it I have not taken mine off yet
But it was so easy to fit I can't see a problem it hooks over the tailgate and tightens up under each corner with an Allen key :thumb

VW rack is good bit of kit and easy to take on and off (5 mins)
Seb

We leave our VW rack on the back and our Cali's parked on the street.
No-one's pinched any of the straps or the removable bar so far.

Due to the rack's position (high up) you can park quite close to other cars (their bonnets fitting underneath the rack).
(This is handy on ferries too - cars could park their noses underneath the rack when it had bikes on).

Just remember that the parking sensors don't know about the rack when parking close to anything taller/squarer/wall-like!

Thanks guys - looks like the VW is the one to get. Also, if we've forked out for a California we want the best kit for it! Just need to look for the best price now.

What i would do is give alex at smg a ring to see
What he can do and if you live too far away
To collect and alex cant post it ring up your local
Dealer to see if they can match it :thumb

Don't forget if you are a VIP member you will get 10% off so possibly a saving of around £40-50

Oh yes forgot to mention the discount for being a vip :thumb :thumb :thumb
Even better then :thumb

Back