Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Original Bike Rack

Ok, I've now signed up as a VIP member - bring on the discounts!

I know brain takes a little while to engage :rofl :rofl :rofl

Helpful Adam at SMG has quoted £420 inc VAT & discount.

Can get someone to pick it up from Cowfold for us so we should have it for the weekend - great!

Thanks for your helpful advice.

A good result then. I think it's about £500 in the brochure.

Full dealer price is £473, I got mine from local van centre for £451 If memory serves. Had to ask for discount. They even helped me fit it !

Picked up our new VW bike rack yesterday from SMG, £420 with discount. Fitted it in the car park (needed something to stand on). It only took a few minutes to fit the rack, but it took us about an hour to make sense of the instructions and fit the bits of clear protective tape! Even then they're not in quite the right place, might have to top them up with some all-weather sellotape.

The rack looks really smart and is clear of the lights & number plate. Also (when folded up no bikes) it doesn't block the view out of the back window as much as I expected.

Next step will be loading up the bikes - again, I don't think we'll be able to reach the top fixing without something to stand on.

Another point re the bike rack - is it necessary to tell your insurer you've got one? I can't remember if they asked, but I'm reluctant to pay out even more insurance premium.

Another point re the bike rack - is it necessary to tell your insurer you've got one? I can't remember if they asked, but I'm reluctant to pay out even more insurance premium.

Good point, I never thought of that !

If you win, don't forget to make sure it has the clear plastic bits included to protect the paintwork, also bear in mind a brand new one is only £420 from SMG with VIP discount

I think I've see the plastic protectors for sale at Campervantastic or similar for around £15.

Martin said:
If you win, don't forget to make sure it has the clear plastic bits included to protect the paintwork, also bear in mind a brand new one is only £420 from SMG with VIP discount
I should think you could probably use all-weather sellotape for the clear plastic bits - unlikely to be part of the package as they'll have been stuck on the seller's van.

Carrg said:
I'm watching/bidding on that!

You have competition lol... :hello

Lee has one already Gary. I just looked and it seems to be quite close to its money already IMHO.

Yeah I know the 420 SMC price main reason I joined VIP.

Think I'll be getting a new one. Working on local contacts first also to save postage.

So all I need now is:

1. A Cali :crazy
2. MFSW :censor
3. Cruise :headwall
4. Toppers
5. Sat Nav
6. Elec cables
7. Screen cover

:doh :boohoo

.....I know and tbh thats not half of it :oops:

I'm going red in the face just thinking about it.

Yeah .. Got one fella ,just thought I'd pop the eBay post on to see if anyone was interested in it and to see how much it goes for :)

Did an MTB race this weekend. Took the bike apart, laid it on the rear shelf, still had plenty of room for the family (two kids), the dog, a balance bike for our little boy, etc, etc.

Wife was the first female in (5th overall), I was 2nd.

Real cyclists don't use bike racks... ;) :lol: :lol:

I was thinking we could do that, but it's a bit of a fiddle taking the wheel off, plus mud everywhere. Well done with the race though.

ejmoore said:
I was thinking we could do that, but it's a bit of a fiddle taking the wheel off, plus mud everywhere. Well done with the race though.

Quick release wheels, quick release saddle, an on-site hose, a big sheet of plastic/tarp. Simples!

Sorry I'm not trying to be annoying (I usually am) but I just can't see the near obsession with bike racks. Its like a lorry having a rack to carry pallets on the outside! They just seem to:

1) Cost a fortune
2) Hinder boot access
3) Ruin rear vision
4) Sometimes rub/damage the paintwork.

I regularly use our Cali to transport my bike when not camping - I put the bench seat fully forwards and strap the seat post to the rear N/S headrest with the bike diagonally across the back (no need to remove wheels) . Bike doesn't budge an inch and the Cali makes the perfect partner for getting there - it's a van after all!

when I camp or goto beach etc..I like to use the inside space on route and with dogs ,bikes have to go on the back and not the dogs and when park up not have to move everything to use the living area.. Lol .... I can't put 2-3 bikes inside really and makes it more chance to get damaged inside and sorry to say mines a day/camper car inside and not a home brew t5 van like some i looked at buying before the cali ,but each to their own :) and its good the Cali is so versatile .. Cool :)

Back