Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Original Bike Rack

Dog and bike go in the Quecha pop up tent at night :D I think sleeping with the bike would be taking a near fetish for all things bikey to extremes and the wife might complain too :thumb

As for damage - this is chief detailing/cleaning nerd so any possible damaging edge/point (e.g the forks, the rear mech, the chain set, etc) get covered up with towels and or cloths. The chance of damage is extremely slim. I reckon the chances of dropping a bike racked steed into/onto the back are much more likely and all the sharp bits are exposed and far too near the paintwork for my liking.

KernowLad said:
Dog and bike go in the Quecha pop up tent at night :D I think sleeping with the bike would be taking a near fetish for all things bikey to extremes and the wife might complain too :thumb

As for damage - this is chief detailing/cleaning nerd so any possible damaging edge/point (e.g the forks, the rear mech, the chain set, etc) get covered up with towels and or cloths. The chance of damage is extremely slim. I reckon the chances of dropping a bike racked steed into/onto the back are much more likely and all the sharp bits are exposed and far too near the paintwork for my liking.

Lol lol ... I hear ya fella :)

Still can't get me head around having bikes in a camper when I wouldn't have them in the house only in the garage or on my bike rack in the basement room ...maybe my bikes aren't as much as my baby as me dogs when on the move ...:) ,but I do see where u r coming from and u do have to be abit careful when loading ...

choplee said:
KernowLad said:

Lol lol ... I hear ya fella :)

Still can't get me head around having bikes in a camper when I wouldn't have them in the house only in the garage or on my bike rack in the basement room ...maybe my bikes aren't as much as my baby as me dogs when on the move ...:) ,but I do see where u r coming from and u do have to be abit careful when loading ...

I'm probably pushing my point a bit so apologies for that! :lol: Our dog seems to have survived tenting so far with no issues which is handy (I know a lot of dogs that would make a fuss alone in tent) even in a force 9 gale with near monsoon rain.

Just can't quite see why bike racks seem so de rigeur when most cyclists I know with a camper stick them inside too - and a few are full on National racers. Similar with surfboards too - we stick them in the van unless we really do have a lot of kit - then I begrudgingly stick them on the roof. :lol:

I think if i was doing alot more cycling i would get myself a LWB t5 and get a more suited conversion done i suppose .....but with my cali being a daily driver /day bus /camper come vw club show bus then i use the rack for putting a gazebo ,awing etc on it as well as a bike or 3 ,so it's also a mutli-purpose rack ...the cali being a full use outdoor vehicle .... :thumb :thumb :thumb

it's good to throw things about and see how we all use them :thumb :D :D

went for good money in the end then ...The seller must be happy with that ,as it's not just the selling it's if your lucky someone can pickup and don't have to p&p it..

just shows used original VW parts & accessories still get top dollar :thumb

We think we might need a rack. I don't like having bikes on the outside due to their "nickability". However having them inside eats into your living space.
I agree that if you wrap them in an old blanket they won't harm the inside.

CannellWalker said:
We think we might need a rack. I don't like having bikes on the outside due to their "nickability". However having them inside eats into your living space.
I agree that if you wrap them in an old blanket they won't harm the inside.

I use a padlock on the rack and if off the Cali lock to a post .. There is a bike cover that fiamma do while on the rack that can be used to cover while not on the Cali :) .. Not that expensive and look ok as well :) they do a 2 bike cover and a 2-4 bike cover ...

Tried the bike rack last weekend to go & watch the Olympic road race at Box Hill. Nice, easy to use (though I need to stand on a stool to lift the bike high enough). Never mind good towel rail, the rack is great for airing a duvet.

We have just bought a California and fitted a VW original bike rack. It is lovely and solid but my only comment would be that the short straps are faffy to thread and I suspect will start to fray. The ones on the Thule Racks are plastic ratchet ones and much more substantial. Has anyone found a supplier of replacement straps for the vw rack ideally similar to the thule design

thanks

Simon

Hi Simon, most cycle shops sell the normal fabric straps, we just keep some as spares as they are so cheap, saying that we have never had to replace them in two years of bikes going on/off the rack, also plenty on Ebay

Or these could possibly fit ?? Fiamma Bike Rack Straps

Back