Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW strikes again.

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
If you have a BiTurbo engine then you need to be aware of this. Retro Resus are a well known installer of new engines for those unfortunate enough to need one (180/204). These engines were on exchange/return basis but now it seems VW have decided that you have to buy the engine outright with an obvious very steep hike in the cost.
VW are very well aware of this problem but refuse to offer any recompense to vehicles over eight years old of which there are many with the problem of excessive oil use. Absolutely disgusting way to treat customers.

1727872261044.png

Thanks for heads up Brian.

Am I right in thinking this is due to the degradation of the EGR or something? If so, can't it be swapped out for an updated part (assuming there ever was one, or an aftermarket one) as a preventative measure?

Am I right in thinking this is due to the degradation of the EGR or something? If so, can't it be swapped out for an updated part (assuming there ever was one, or an aftermarket one) as a preventative measure?
Allegedly so yes. But it seems that there are some instances appearing now even with the later Type D EGRs failing.

Or get the EGR blanked off? I'm new to these engines (I only bought mine 3 weeks ago) so I don't know what was done when mine got blanked off. It was all done in 2022 including the fitting of a "D" cooler and an engine flush.

Or get the EGR blanked off? I'm new to these engines (I only bought mine 3 weeks ago) so I don't know what was done when mine got blanked off. It was all done in 2022 including the fitting of a "D" cooler and an engine flush.
There's no point in fitting a later egr if it's going to be blanked off.

Isn't it obvious....no more T6...no more T6 engines, these new ones will be available until stocks are exhausted then you will be in the realms of non franchised reconditioning outlets.

They may have got it in time..... hopefully you have close to zero oil consumption. A more negative scenario is that the previous owner was told the oil consumption would be resolved by a new egr (many were fobbed off like this). The oil consumption continued even after blanking, so they sold the van on.
If you've close to zero consumption and it is actually blanked, you should be ok.

What's the consensus on the latest 204 engines? Do they still suffer or is it too early to tell?

I think the only way to know what is going on with an engine is to get the oil tested after its done a few thousand miles and then a compression test. Our oil test was terrible with aluminium, iron and boron in large quantities. A compression showed its at the lowest acceptable limit so we are getting a new engine fitted next month even though the van's still going OK and not using much oil. Just done 2500 miles and it's dropped about 6mm on the dipstick
If the oil and compression test are OK then I would fit a Tafmet kit which blankd the egr and fools the ecu into thinking it's still operating.

Do re read my original post where I said it had an engine flush.

A engine flush does not fix any damage already caused to the engine. It just flushes out most of oil + metal particles suspended in the oil.

Some manufacturers advise against it as it can damage seals and other oil lubricated components. May also void the warranty on newer vans.

Back