Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Transporter T7 hybrid mule spied wearing T6 clothing

If Audi can get 400km of range from its 2.5ton Etron on a 90KWh battery surely similar tech with a 100kwh solution packaged into a stretched T7 would make nice solution for a beach, even in phev form at half the battery size covering the leisure batteries too would be awesome

Spotted that too. Lower and somehow looks a little shorter? Not sure whether it's an optical illusion with the camouflage, but the driver looks further back too.
Might grow on me...

I notice the exhaust exiting on the left like a T4. Can't be a reversed photo as the number plate is correct.

Re the length, notice that the sliding door rear edge encroaches on the rear wheel arch shape.
Also the front door does not encroach onto the front arch as much as a T5/T6.
Fuel filler in the rear left quarter.
Rear of front seat visible behind the 'B' pillar.
It looks more like a large people carrier than a medium van.

All in all NBG as a camper, too short in the passenger area.

A strange one this.

Looks more like a Sharan than a T7. Height looks lower than T7, driver looks lower, cabin looks shorter, front point to driver looks twice the length, o/a looks longer.

I just wondered if it was ID Buzz with a fake nose but that doesn’t seem to match up either.

Perhaps it is being influenced by the ‘VW-Ford Alliance’ that was announced for vans and pickups last year?

Perhaps it is being influenced by the ‘VW-Ford Alliance’ that was announced for vans and pickups last year?

Probably, they already share battery technology with Ford transit.

Interesting.

I always wondered about these 'spy shots'.
So the photographer just happened to be standing at the side of the road in the snow in the middle of nowhere with their camera all set up when 2 prototype T7s just happened to drive by?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Interesting.

I always wondered about these 'spy shots'.
So the photographer just happened to be standing at the side of the road in the snow in the middle of nowhere with their camera all set up when 2 prototype T7s just happened to drive by?

Someone must give these photographers the nod that a test is taking place. They are not amateur pictures so all part of the massive PR machine that these car makers depend on.

Yeah, so why pretend that it's some sort of scoop obtaining the photos?

Just say that they were released by VW and get on with it .

Back on topic, don't think I like the A pillar configuration very much. Other than that I think it looks OK.

I was sort of hoping if they were going to release an e-Cali they'd base it on the Id Buzz rather than the next generation Transporter.

Good afternoon,

Hm, I don't want to be a "spoilsport" but in my innocence I can't see a major benefit of a (mild) hybrid on the California campervan.

Yes, many use it for short distances (let's say up to 50 km). For this kind of distances the electric engine comes into play. But for all normal camping and recreational use the distances are longer and the advantage in comparison shrinks.

If we want to enjoy with good (environmental) concision our hobby, past time wouldn't a full electric camper van not be better?

Regards,
Eberhard

Good afternoon,

Hm, I don't want to be a "spoilsport" but in my innocence I can't see a major benefit of a (mild) hybrid on the California campervan.

Yes, many use it for short distances (let's say up to 50 km). For this kind of distances the electric engine comes into play. But for all normal camping and recreational use the distances are longer and the advantage in comparison shrinks.

If we want to enjoy with good (environmental) concision our hobby, past time wouldn't a full electric camper van not be better?

Regards,
Eberhard
If it helps reduce emissions and for the company to avoid the gamification fines from the EU, they will push it, prob aimed at white van man rather than California person

Good afternoon,

My wife has a Toyota Corolla Hybrid. It is a nice car. It is impressive how it changes from the petrol engine to electricity and back. I have no idea how they do it, but it is brilliant.

I feel that it works best in stop and go traffic - actually it is almost ideal for that. Naturally on longer distances the impact is not so great.

My issue with Toyota is that I fail to see the benefit of the system. The car (well, at least in the way my wife drives it) still uses 5 to 6 /100 km (sometimes even more). This is too much for a Hybrid. That was almost achievable with the Polo she had before (ok the Polo is smaller, so I am not compare like for like).

I have no experience with "mild Hybrid" cars (actually I have to Google what this actually means) or with plug-in Hybrids.

But how this will work with camper vans or motorhomes is a mystery to me. The California Ocean is about 2.4 t ready to drive, loaded (as we all know) can be up a wee bit over 3 t when fully loaded. Even if the engine, clutch, transmission, tank is gone, the battery is rather heavy (and where to put it?).

I can't wait to see what VW (and in fact the other van manufactures) will introduce in the years to come.

Regards,
Eberhard

IMO The only thing ‘mild’ hybrids are good for is pointless virtue signalling by owner and manufacturer alike.

They may have some benefits in reducing pollution in urban areas, which is totally offset by inefficiencies and lugging around a useless heavy battery and motor for the rest of your journey.

But they will sell, as the whole point of the EV revolution is not to ‘actually’ reduce climate change or pollution but to ‘be seen’ as reducing climate change or pollution by your neighbours.

Good afternoon,

Regards,
Eberhard

Given that the UK are ridding them selves of Diesel\Petrol\Hybrids by 2035. its seems rather late to be introducing a hybrid. Perhaps not so for Transporters if they can get a wriggle on and get a decent hybrid outhere but for Californias who's owners tend to hang onto them for a longer period (or so it seems).

We're only talking 15 years from now. Im roughly 10 days away from picking up my first Cali with a mind to hanging onto it for the next 10 years and I have to admit I had a wobble when I heard of the governments plans.:(

Given that the UK are ridding them selves of Diesel\Petrol\Hybrids by 2035. its seems rather late to be introducing a hybrid. Perhaps not so for Transporters if they can get a wriggle on and get a decent hybrid outhere but for Californias who's owners tend to hang onto them for a longer period (or so it seems).

We're only talking 15 years from now. Im roughly 10 days away from picking up my first Cali with a mind to hanging onto it for the next 10 years and I have to admit I had a wobble when I heard of the governments plans.:(

Mind you, I guess I\we wont be alone when it comes to it. :rolleyes:

We have two hybrids. A plug and a mild self-charging.

The plugin has averaged around 85mpg over the last 2000miles. I regularly plug it in but winter and a few longer runs have dropped the consumption.

The mild self-charging has averaged 61.7mpg over the last 2500miles. This will improve as the weather improves. It does short journeys so this figure is lower. A longer journey would be nearer 70mpg.