Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW warranty and self install solar panels

Poodlehat2222

Poodlehat2222

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi
I have just ordered a single Solar panel kit from solarcampersolutions to fit to my 3 week old Coast. Will this invalidate my VW warranty if I make a claim for any electrical issues?
I was thinking that if any future issues arise, then I could just remove the kit, as it looks relatively simple and quick.
Has anyone else had any VW issues?

TIA

Gary

I have a Solar panel kit fitted from solarcampersolutions and when I had a battery issued VW blamed the solar panel, like that was a surprise! So disconnected the panel wiring to the battery but left the panel in place took it back and said "Oh look same problem" they then sorted the issue so I reconnect the wiring. Nothing was said about the panel affecting the warranty.

I get asked this quite a lot by potential customers.

When you install the solar kit, you are, quite simply, attaching a 3-stage conditioning battery charger to your leisure batteries. The charger just happens to be solar powered not mains powered.

I've yet to hear of any vehicle who's warranty was invalidated by plugging in a battery charger. Not a surprise really as that's how you charge a low battery....

I had one garage that tried to blame my solar kit for a battery failure - so I spoke to them. Once I pointed out it was impossible for my solar kit to blow a 75Amp fuse, and also explained in detail how everything else they had said was nonsense, they backed down and replaced the battery for free for the customer. They were very civil about the whole process once I got in touch, but clearly, before I spoke to them, had no idea what was going on, saw my wire going to the battery, and took that as the "easy blame/explain" option.

That's a rarity though. I've only been blamed twice so far in nearly 10 years (the other VW dealer would not even respond to my email.... ).

I fitted the kit a couple of weeks ago. I decided that if I had any major problems I'd simply remove it. It only took and hour or so to fit and could probably remove it in half that time.
After your response above, I probably won't bother.
I have found another problem tho........ I've become obsessed with and a bore about my panel.
I think the wife might divorce me if I tell her how much power they are currently generating, which if you are interested is 18w as its slightly overcast. But yesterday I did see 70w in full sun with the roof raised and angled correctly............

:D:D My Mrs sends her sympathies.

She recently, whilst sitting at the garden table, enjoying the sun and a quiet read, got a full detailed "live" report on the comparisons between parallel cabling of multiple panels vs series cabling - including a running commentary on peak wattage, amperage, weather conditions, and cable loss.

Lucky lady.

FYI - series cabling made such a negligable difference it't not worth doing at the 200-300w scale. You don't get enough of a gain to offset the fact you are 100% down if one panel has an issue, or is shaded, whereas with parallel the remaining panel/s will still perform as they should. I , of course, gave her a full report on this, along with my post-it notes, whilst I was packing all the gear away (after showing her the Victron App solar stats).

Back